Mingus At Monterey (1964)

bluesForBartok

The Oslo I have is on JazzUp JU-307:

1. Fables of Faubus 22:06

2. Orange Was the Colour of her Dress 15:11

3. Ow! 2:29

4. Take the "A" Train (incomplete) 9:42

Is there more around?

Just checked with that link I provided below. Any idea how I could get this stuff?

Hell, Mr Sangry has suggested this before, but I got to repeat it: Mosaic (or whoever) should do a complete April 1964 Mingus box!!

And Lon, when you speak of the Netherlands dates, you mean those three LPs made in Amsterdam? Love'em! As far as I know they were on 2 CDs, too?

Were do you find that sort of stuff? I always pick these up when I see some, but that happens only like every two or three years once.

ubu

Yes, two cds have been put out of the Amsterdam material. I got those through the deep and unexpected kindness of a board member who I won't mention because he's so modest some years ago. I had been looking for them for some time; I had only seen them once at the Tower here in Austin before the European boots of Miles and Mingus dried up stateside. . . .I actually drove my cycle home to get more cash, drove back to the store, and they were . . . sold and gone already!

I have most of those Mingus tour concerts on LPs. Can't decide which concert was really best. Mingus and his men really made history on that tour.

The Amsterdam Concertgebouw concert first appeared on a two-fer then on one additional LP, all from a French label called Ulysse. A fine name to issue concerts from the Mingus odyssey. Johnny Coles plays throughout that one (he is also on the Copenhagen, the Oslo, the Stockholm and the Bremen concerts).

The Paris concerts are now history.

The Wuppertal concert appeared on two LPs (Mingus in Europe, vol. 1 and 2) that were issued by Enja.

The Ulysse and Enja albums carry the imprimatur of Mrs. Susan Graham Mingus/Jazz Workshop Inc.

None of those LP have really good sound. Acceptable at best.

Then there are the bootlegs.

The Stuttgart concert was issued by the Italian label Unique. One twofer plus a single LP.

There's also the Bremen concert which was issued by another Italian label Ingo. I never got that one. Neither do I have the Oslo concert that came out on Landscape and Moon.

The Copenhagen concert was issued by Landscape on CD. The Stockholm concert was issued by Royal Jazz on CD. Landscape and Royal Jazz were French bootlegs label. Even if some discographies list them as Danish the two labels were operated by French fans.

The sound on those I have is acceptable at best.

But who cares really when the music is that superb.

Edited by brownie

wow brownie, amazing and encyclopedic. Do you know anything about the Fantasy Town Hall music, the dates, is there more unreleased? Please spill for us. Pray with Eric is quite slow and pensive, lots of room for Jaki Byard to stretch, I loved that disc so much last night I played it twice straight thru consecutively. I agree, this should be like a Parker/Benedetti beat the boots pursuit for some label. It should all be out there assembled and heard, no matter the quality.

Amir, I have the original LP issue of that Town Hall concert. It came out on the Charles Mingus label (JWS-005) as 'Town Hall Concert, 1964, volume 1' with only two long tracks 'So Long Eric' and 'Praying With Eric' on it.

This was reissued by Fantasy.

In his liner notes to the album, Mingus mentions the following tunes that remain unissued:

'ATFW YOU', a Jaki Byard piano solo,

'Sophisticated Lady', a bass Mingus solo.

Mingus mentions they 'are temporarily spliced out due to time space'.

'Orange was the color of her dress, then blue' also is listed elszewhere as having been played at the concert.

These unisssued tunes were probably scheduled to be included in Volume 2 but that one never saw the light of the day.

That Town Hall concert was held on April 4, 1964 just before the group left for Europe.

Mingus lists the musicians in his liner notes: Dolphy, Coles, Byard, Richmond, Jordan, me (Mingus) and Mrs. Dupree White as (NAACP) coordinator.

Mingus dedicated the album to Dolphy and Mrs. White.

Not sure of the contents but there is a Unique single cd of the Stuttgart concert. In the US it is listed on the City Hall website.

The Enja cds are both expanded versions of the lps.

The Unique Jazz Stuttgart CD has a total of only 40 minutes of Fables:

1) ATFW USA 4:15

2) Sophisticated Lady: 4:04

3) Fables of Faubus Pt. 1: 16:41

4) Fables of Faubus Pt. 2: 24:16

brownie, I was at some store yesterday and they had the two LP Stuttgart set. They also have Lord, and he says most of the tunes on the Unique LPs were edited. You know if that's accurate?

Then they had some other Mingus boots (off topic): that Mingus/Cat Anderson LP and the Ozone LP billed Mingus/Cecil Taylor (they do not play together). Anyone knows if they are worthwhile?

Tanks!

ubu

brownie, I was at some store yesterday and they had the two LP Stuttgart set. They also have Lord, and he says most of the tunes on the Unique LPs were edited. You know if that's accurate?

Then they had some other Mingus boots (off topic): that Mingus/Cat Anderson LP and the Ozone LP billed Mingus/Cecil Taylor (they do not play together). Anyone knows if they are worthwhile?

Tanks!

ubu

Ubu, I understand the Stuttgart concert tapes were edited on the Unique LPs, but not 'Fables of Faubus' which was on both sides of a single LP. I am waiting for a reissue with decent sounds and complete versions. Whenever.

The Stuttgart concert was one of the best from the tour.

I don't have the Mingus-Cat Anderson bootleg.

I had to have the Mingus/Taylor Ozone bootleg. Features Pepper Adams, Jaki Byard and Charles McPherson. Plus a good trumpet player Eddie Armour who has made very few appearances. Sound is plain lousy.

Yeah! Let's hope they come around to reissue ALL of these concerts in best possible sound! I bet most of them were actually recorded by some radio stations, no? What's the source of those bootlegs? Radio?

Claude, while it was me who alerted to the recent broadcast - I missed the beginning of it! SHIT! (And I really hate half-complete things...)

ubu

Yes, let's really hope that the Stuttgart concert gets reissued in better sound.

Ubu, I picked the Great Concert of Charles Mingus on the day it was released.

At long last, it is presented in its entirety including the presentation of Johnny Coles' trumpet by Mingus to indicate the absence of Coles who was still at the American Hospital in Neuilly.

And the sound is slightly better. No high fidelity here but there is nothing to prevent one from enjoying the music.

Yes, let's really hope that the Stuttgart concert gets reissued in better sound.

Ubu, I picked the Great Concert of Charles Mingus on the day it was released.

At long last, it is presented in its entirety including the presentation of Johnny Coles' trumpet by Mingus to indicate the absence of Coles who was still at the American Hospital in Neuilly.

And the sound is slightly better. No high fidelity here but there is nothing to prevent one from enjoying the music.

Gotta get it as soon as I can afford!

ubu