Love John Kirby!

Stefan Wood

This past weekend I picked up a double lp set of the John Kirby Sextet "The Biggest Little Band in the Land" on Classic Jazz. I really got into the music -- I really got it because of Charlie Shavers, but everyone is excellent in this group. I was wondering if anyone can make any recommendations that I can go check out?

Man, Kirby's group was always topnotch (IF a little monotonous in that there was very little variety to the instrumentation and format of the music).

I've bought all the Classics and about half the material that is available on Circle Records (transcriptions in glorious sound). I can recommend also their work with vocalists Maxine Sullivan and Una Mae Carlisle.

Kirby did many dates as a sideman bassist as well, and his presence means a great swinging time!

Edited by jazzbo

I started appreciating the 'Biggest Little Band In the Land' when French CBS released all their Okeh/Vocalion sides in three LP albums in the mid eighties. Great material but I take this in small doses. Prolonged playing leaves me a little numb. But that's on these sides that I learned to appreciate the works of Charlie Shavers. A great trumpet player if ever there was one.

I listened to a number of Shavers solos during his JATP days but thought the man was a bit of a showoff at the time. After listening to those Kirby sides, I knew better. I now rank Shavers among the trumpet kings.

I have also enjoyed a couple of the Kirby reissues - the Associated transcriptions material - on the Storyville label. Several sides make me happy.

Charlie Shavers did indeed have some great moments in his work with the Kirby group (he also arranged many of the tunes they played), but don't go to sleep on Billy Kyle, one of the most overlooked pianists of his time. His time, phrasing and harmonic concepts were an inspiration to a lot of other pianists, including the early Bud Powell.

Jack Tracy

I'm not familiar with the particular collection you mention, but I would recommend looking for the French Columbia double disc with the same title--the remasters are better than usually found on Classics, in my experience.

Also, you might be interested in their earlier work for Decca, which is collected on an early Classics disc 1938-39.

This is before they got their schtick completely down, which is a good thing in my opinion.

Three or four early tracks are on 52nd Street Swing, a collection that has a number of other items that might be of interest including some nice early Roy Eldridge performances.

--eric

I've got the Smithsonian double-album of the John Kirby Sextet. I'm sure it's OOP now, though. When I first got it, a friend told me he hates their stuff. I suppose in large doses he has a partial point, but in small doses I still love this band.

A lot of worthwhile things (Raymond Scott, Elvis movies, salt, arsenic) should only be taken in small doses. ;)

Edited by BruceH

• 6 years later...