The Facebook Resisters

Brad

I know Facebook was a big concern for Chris (and others), either last year or earlier this year, so I thought this article, The Facebook Resisters, that was in today New York Times would be of interest.

Bravo! BravISSIMO!! There's hope and validation for not only dinosaur fuckers like me, but young people also are thinking for themselves sometimes. A little eye contact can go

a long way!

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jeez, the mind boggles. But seriously, ladies and germs, I and Bob Hope wanna tell you: the most irritating thing about FB is the emails saying 'Joel, you have notifications pending'. Number 1, my email is for friends and business contacts and I get enough spam. Leave me alone. 2, who asked? If I want to go on FB I can find my way fine. Which leads to 3, when I did bite it was always sonebody I never met trying to get my ass in a seat or hawk a CD, shit like that. I mean make friends first, right. I myself am super sensitive re invading even friends' privacy-even if I have a gig. It's basic manners, though I can dig that people need to hustle and self-promote. But most of the FB messages I get are of that ilk.. So what I do now is if someone contacts me and I want to communicate further I ask them to email me. I HAVE found old friends there and one even came to a gig and it was great to see him. But mostly it just ain't my cup of sake.

I still see FaceBook as something distasteful and intrusive. If that's the only way people can get "friends," they need to take a good look at themselves. I am still bothered by the fact that so many links take you to a damn FB way station.

I was delighted when that little twerp didn't succeed in his greed at the stock exchange. I see nothing to "like" about FB.

A common view, but one based on a fundamental misunderstanding of how IPOs work. Zuckerberg's fortune wasn't necessarily affected at all by the post-IPO fall in share prices. It was all the people who bought shares at the offering price who took a bath. The IPO accomplished exactly what it was supposed to, maximizing the price paid by these latter investors to fill Facebook's coffers.

I just don't understand the anger at Facebook. To me, it's a way to connect with old friends from years ago, which has been quite pleasant for me. We on this board are among the more literate people in the world, or at least among those who like most to type our thoughts on the computer. Some very nice people are different, and do not communicate well by one on one email for whatever reason. They find Facebook to be their way of connecting with the world. It takes all kinds.

Like almost everything else in life, Facebook has a set of conventions and institutional oddities which I find either mildly annoying or dumb, and which I ignore. I also ignore such conventions and institutional oddities in many other organizations and settings which I come into contact with, both online and in the real world. I just don't take the side features of Facebook seriously, and they do not bother me.

From Facebook I take the pleasure of discussions with my good friends from long ago, and ignore the rest of Facebook.