MLB Hot Stove League 2012-13

• Replies 519
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Whoa. Ken Rosenthal says that the Miami Marlins have traded Jose Reyes, Josh Johnson, and Mark Buerhle to the Toronto Blue Jays for Yunel Escobar, and Adeiny Hechavarria, Henderson Alvarez, prospects.

http://msn.foxsports...onifacio-111312

They should just remove baseball from south Florida.

Miami has never supported baseball

And yet those idiots have 2 more titles in recent enough years than the Cubs, Mariners, Rangers, Padres, and some other schmucks combined. It's just not fair. Make 'em give one of 'em to the Indians. Ack.

Mark Cuban is poison.

Anything he touches turns into attitude central with him.

Bad for baseball. Bad for sports.

All I can go off is the Mavs' and they have been a solid team during Cuban's ownership. He may be a jerk in a lot of ways, but he has been good for the NBA. He's about the only owner who has ever challenged Stern, and in my book, that's a good thing. Compare the Mavs with other NBA franchises, and they come out looking very good.

The Mavs have been a solid team, but they could/should have been a helluva lot more than that. Cuban is a "player's owner", as is Jerry Jones (although not quite as blatantly/indesriminately), and when push comes to shove, his pets will get their way. Same result either way -players "doing their best" but the team not getting the best results, with a lot of "aw shucks" in the wake. The overall team focus/discipline level is lays just THAT much short. Hell, even the one year they won the ring - should they have gotten that far, or was the opposition even less focused. I mean, the Mavs were together that year, but a less distracted Lakers and/or more disciplined Thunder could have taken them w/o too much trouble. But they didn't, so that's that. But still...not impressed. There should have been more, longer, before then. And I'll fault Cuban directly for it not happening. Team culture uber alles.

OTOH, Cuban eviscerating Skip Bayless on ESPN was one of the great moments in sports media history, so credit where credit is due, for sure.

Glad to see that R.A. Dickey won the N.L. Cy Young Award. He deserved it. Without him, the Mets probably would have been the worst team in baseball.

Of course, now there's talk that the Mets may trade him.

I agree.

That 85 MPH Knuckler is an amazing thing to watch.

Or he might have juiced in Kansas City before he went to San Francisco, and he's still cashed in pretty nicely.

Not bad for someone who was widely regarded as at absolute best, a useful fourth outfielder in New York:

(Career OPS+, with NY and ATL: 85

OPS+ with KC and San Fran: 140

(quick lesson for Tim: 100 is league average in this metric, which is based on On Base Percentage and Slugging, and normalized for park and season effects)

Edited by Dan Gould

Or he might have juiced in Kansas City before he went to San Francisco, and he's still cashed in pretty nicely.

Not bad for someone who was widely regarded as at absolute best, a useful fourth outfielder in New York:

(Career OPS+, with NY and ATL: 85

OPS+ with KC and San Fran: 140

(quick lesson for Tim: 100 is league average in this metric, which is based on On Base Percentage and Slugging, and normalized for park and season effects)

Beats me.

Not a stats guy, here.

My Giants are proof of the reason why I'm not. Just sayin' :g

I like it. Feldman will be better in the NL, and they've added Scott Baker as another low-risk with some upside. I don't think the Cubbies have much pitching at the moment so mid-range free agents isn't a bad way to build the rotation in the interim.

They won't compete but maybe they won't suck while Theo works his magic.

Feldman has skills, be sure of that. When he's on, he's tough. But his on/off ratio is bizarrely inconsistent, and his tendency is to not get it back once he loses it. And he gives you no indication that he is about to lose it. None. That's what makes him so frustrating, you get comfortable on the ride, then BAM!!! this guy drives you up on the sidewalk, then into a wall, then into a buiding. Next thing you know, there's blood everywhere, babies are crying, grown men are standing around slack-jawed at the magnitude of the randomness of it all, doctors and lawyers are too stunned to practice their craft, and once you yourself come to, you think to yourself, "oh my, where did THAT come from?"

And the frustrating part, the really frustrating part, is that nobody knows, not even Scott Feldman.

Edited by JSngry

Feldman has skills, be sure of that. When he's on, he's tough. But his on/off ratio is bizarrely inconsistent, and his tendency is to not get it back once he loses it. And he gives you no indication that he is about to lose it. None. That's what makes him so frustrating, you get comfortable on the ride, then BAM!!! this guy drives you up on the sidewalk, then into a wall, then into a buiding. Next thing you know, there's blood everywhere, babies are crying, grown men are standing around slack-jawed at the magnitude of the randomness of it all, doctors and lawyers are too stunned to practice their craft, and once you yourself come to, you think to yourself, "oh my, where did THAT come from?"

And the frustrating part, the really frustrating part, is that nobody knows, not even Scott Feldman.

Who will the Rangers be replacing him with in the rotation?

He was a replacement for Alexi Ogando (iirc) who in turn was a replacement for Neftali Feliz. so many injuries to the staff last year, it's hard to remember who went down when.

Ogando should be ready by Spring Training, Alexi Ogando (and Colby Lewis) by mid-season. Season opening rotation currently shaping up to be Darvish, Harrison, Holland, Ogando, and ________ , with ________ possibilities ranging anywhere from (maybe?) Zack Grienke to Martin Perez to Robbie Ross to Who Knows What Surprises Lay In Store.

Ogando back to the BP when Colby comes back, probably, and Feliz probably comes back to the BP.

No Roy Oswalt, though, about which I can only fantasize about Roy Oswalt and Lamar Odom being represented by the same agent and how those conversations must have gone down.