allensulzen

I am interested in bands that are "Garage Rock Revolution" style but I am also a big fan of jazz. I'm looking for something new to listen to.

What groups do you know that are doing new mixes of indie-rock and jazz? New bands worth listening to?

References:

I like alternative post punk/garage rock bands like:

Franz Ferdinand

The Strokes

The Libertines

The Hives

I enjoy lots of Jazz but I really like:

Artie Shaw

Duke Ellington

Modern Indie Jazz bands that I have found:

Pomplamoose

Fitz and the Tantrums

Any suggestions?

Pamplamousse? No no no! You can do waaaay better! These are the great American indie bands of the 90s that may not mix jazz with rock, but make brilliant and interesting music you definitely need to know.

Pavement

Built To Spill

Yo La Tengo

Sleater-Kinney

Low

Of course, there are a lot of directions you can take but I think these bands might make a wide gateway.

Charles Mingus is a must. Ornette Coleman's early quartet music comes to mind as well.

You might also enjoy some guitarists like Marc Ribot, Mary Halvorson, Marc Ducret.

Talibam!, Grex could be of interest.

Tortoise, Isotope 217, Chicago Underground Duo/Trio, Exploding Star Orchestra, Rob Mazurej Skull Sessions, Joshua Abrahms Natural Information... Lots to choose from and I'm trying to think off the top of my head.

Dive in!

Gerald Cleaver's Black Host

havn't heard the recording but live they are everything - combining raunchy guitar care of Brandon Seabrook, way out bass via Pascal Niggenkemper, the awesome Cooper-Moore on free jazz piano and the great screaming bluesman on alto, Mr. Darius Jones.

Cleaver lays down the groove throughout most of the music that I heard live - lots of rock feel to this band - and it isn't really fusion of the traditional sort.

Ok, ok I dig the suggestions.

@king ubu - I dig Tortoise. Their drummer was awesome.

@master of the groove - Sleater-Kinney has Carrie Brownstein haha I've seen her in Portlandia. I actually didn't know she was a singer.

How would you guys classify this song??

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aYe8jTcO6YE

It is hard for me to find a genre for it.