FIFA World Cup 2014

J.A.W.

• Replies 331
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Germany is hitting their stride, yes?

I'd guess not many (non-German) fans enjoyed that game much, but I did. Not because I was rooting for one side or the other, but I've never seen such a display of awesomeness on the old pitch.

Granted, Brazil folded, but there wasn't anything they could have done about the German attack anyways. Germans could have hit double digits if they'd continued pressing in the second half.

Here's hoping Netherlands - Argentina is a great game. But who would give the Germans a better fight?

Germany is hitting their stride, yes?

I'd guess not many (non-German) fans enjoyed that game much, but I did. Not because I was rooting for one side or the other, but I've never seen such a display of awesomeness on the old pitch.

Granted, Brazil folded, but there wasn't anything they could have done about the German attack anyways. Germans could have hit double digits if they'd continued pressing in the second half.

Here's hoping Netherlands - Argentina is a great game. But who would give the Germans a better fight?

The Netherlands will not be intimidated by the German Mannschaft if they make it to the final.

I know that you can't translate one game to another, but hard not to think that the U.S. side is looking even better in retrospect for their game against Germany.

Watching Messi is a treat but I think a Dutch-German final would be the better game.

I know that you can't translate one game to another, but hard not to think that the U.S. side is looking even better in retrospect for their game against Germany.

Everyone (including Portugal) who have played Germany is looking better in retrospect. :)

But I think this game was more about how bad Brazil were, as opposed to how good Germany were. Germany were certainly sharp and clinical, but Brazil played like amateurs today (and that's not just my opinion, as I also heard it from Gilberto Silva, Arrigo Sacchi, and others). It was just shocking, as well as disappointing for all fans who looked forward to a good contest. Let's hope that tomorrow's game will provide something that will live up to the setting of a World Cup semi-final.

Edited by Jim R

I just saw and listened to a historian analyse behaviour of our fans and how it came about. The way they dress and so on. He said people abroad think that we are that nationalistic but that it is due more to a feeling of togetherness that we wear orange at an event like the WC, it is something that bonds us. We just borrowed the colour of our Royals and act silly but feel gentle. I have always felt it like that. People dress up really weird and we in fact we make a fool of ourselves but it also makes us feel closer together. I thought it to be very interesting to learn where things like that come from, the rituals and habits of a nation.

During the 2012 Olympic in London the Dutch fan centre was a few hundred metres from my front door. It felt like the whole area had turned orange for the duration. Great crowds, mad dress sense and everyone very friendly even after seemingly heavy consumption of the sponsor's beer. I always think the sawthes of orange at major sporting tournaments is a great testament to the Dutch. Long may it continue.

Hey, we even borrowed "an Orange" for our royal family a while back - maybe that's why we appreciate the display

Yeah. A friend of mine told me they even brought orange bikes. As for soccer I am only into the National team since in the club competition there is a totally different atmosphere. Besides there have been pretty nasty incidents between fans of clubs in the past. Not all of the fans of course, but a group among them. Living in the area of A'dam I have never been an Ajax fan. Their fans (again, not all but a group among them) have been acting terribly. Some months ago they damaged a stadion of their opponent Feyenoord while not even playing against them but in a cup game against PEC Zwolle, so both teams were guests in the stadion. Before that there was an incident with Scottish fans who got arrested by the police while the real trouble makers were the Ajax fans in my view. Those things have spoiled it for me and eventhough I like certain players like the coach Frank de Boer. There are other clubs here who have such groups among ther fans, so it is not particularly solely an Ajax thing. It has spoiled it for me though to watch the club competition, the hooligan thing and also the arrogance of some players.

I just want to watch an exciting game with nice playing. I hope tonight will be that.

I feel sorry for Brazil eventhough it feels like Germany was the better team who deserved to win. We'll see what team will get to the finals next. No surprise which team I will be supporting in which colour. :)

Edited by page

Half Time

To my amateur eyes, it looks like the Dutch strategy is to mob the ball and double-team Messi. The Argentinians countered by running through double teams and through accurate passing. Slight advantage to the Argentinians in first half.