FIFA World Cup 2014

J.A.W.

• Replies 331
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good tournament although I kinda wish the one on one games were a bit more crazy, deserved win for the most constant side , the stars of this team are not exactly guys who sell plenty of shirts, Lahm Neuer Schweinsteiger and Hummels take a bow.

Messi player of the tournament, are they out of their minds ?

Edited by Van Basten II

I heard at least one or two commentators calling Goetze's goal "impossible to defend". It was definitely beautifully taken, but for Argentina's central defenders to just let him run free was a real lapse at that point, with people in positions to have marked him.

I too was surprised by Messi being awarded the golden ball. Not that he wasn't good in several games, but the prize seemed generous (and convenient, seeing as he was on the premises and ready for a nice consolation award).

I think this was a great tournament overall, compared to many that I've seen. Even if the only improvement over the past couple of tournaments had been the big reduction in yellows and reds, I would have been significantly impressed. There are always going to be ref errors and sometimes a game or two negatively affected by them, but I would give the officiating very high marks in general. But we also got plenty of high quality action, teams willing to play open games against superior opponents, and plenty of suspense.

Before this 2014 final was played, I couldn't help but think about the 1990 final between these same teams, and the excessive unsporting behavior and complaining (by the Argentinians in particular) that occurred. These current players showed a lot more class and composure, which was good to see in a final. I'm also very very glad that the game was won by a goal scored during the run of play. As extra time advanced, I was dreading another PK shootout until Super Mario got his goal. Congratulations to Germany.

Yes, I overall enjoyed the cup too. Except for some nasty moments in some games in which players were kicked and hit for the purpose of hurting them when they were about to break through or some other important action. In the last game I was stunned the goalkeeper of Germany got away with his attack on that player from Argentina f.e. Clearly unacceptable in my view, as were the attacks on Schweinsteiger.
Götze's goal was beautiful indeed.
My girlfriend is in Berlin at the moment and tells me it is a madhouse up there. The people are all very happy. Congratulations to Germany!

As for Messi....
this is the top of players according to Fifa's own Castrol-index* which noted down all the performances of every player at the cup statisticly. Messi isn't even in the top 10.
http://www.fifa.com/worldcup/statistics/castrol-index/analysis.html

* "Castrol, Official Sponsor of the 2014 FIFA World Cup Brazilâ„¢, are experts in using pioneering technology and data analysis to understand the performance of their oils and have used similar expertise to create the Castrol Index, the definitive system for rating player performance."

Until the next tournament, it was a pleasure reading all of your comments, saluting thee :)
page

Castrol Index is a joke, they do the same thing for MLS action and in 2012 the top player of the league was a player of our squad Sanna Nyassi, never mind that our team ended something like 15th out of 19 teams but the player lost his starting place as he was deemed not effective enough by about everyone who followed the team..

That said you don't need any statistics or numbers to figure out that Messi's award is more a PR thing than anything related to what he accomplished on the pitch

Castrol Index is a joke, they do the same thing for MLS action and in 2012 the top player of the league was a player of our squad Sanna Nyassi, never mind that our team ended something like 15th out of 19 teams but the player lost his starting place as he was deemed not effective enough by about everyone who followed the team..

That said you don't need any statistics or numbers to figure out that Messi's award is more a PR thing than anything related to what he accomplished on the pitch

I didn't know that. I just noticed that these came from their own and found it remarkable they would point out their number 11 as winner. :shrug[1]:

There was a nice joke circulating in Germany just before the last semi final: A Dutch and a German meet, the Dutch says, "we will play against Argentina tonight. The German replies: "Nice, we will on Sunday."

:) Congrats, Mike!

Brazil squeaks by in the shoot out. I wish these teams had met later, Chile played awesome this tournament.

I think James Rodriguez will be followed more closely next season despite him playing in a not so much of a football media hotbed . He currently plays for Monaco, will he be there for long ????

From what i've read he is signed with Monaco thru 2018. Monaco has payed a record transfer fee for him. It does not seem likely that he will be sold soon.

Looking forward to Netherlands/Mexico.Both teams playing for counters?

I was out of the loop on this. James signed with Real. reportedly for a transfer sum of L 63 millions.

Edited by uli