South Florida Jazz Part Deux - Dr Lonnie Smith in Delray Beach!

Dan Gould

Tonight and Saturday night at the Arts Garage.

http://artsgarage.org/event/jazz-project-dr-lonnie-smith/

Got seats reserved for Saturday night for me and the missus. We not only get to see the good doctor, a first for me, but also we're only a ten minute drive away. :Nod:

And Calvin Newborn plays January 11; Randy Brecker on the 25th. I don't think I can make Brecker's gig but would like to see Newborn for sure.

The drummer should be the fabulous Johnathan Blake.

Here's a photo of mine from this Summer:

9117950750_2e3cc3a016_c.jpg

Marcello is correct, and Blake was fantastic, as was the guitarist, Jonathan Kreisberg. And the good doctor? Holy bleeep. What a show. That shot is almost a keepsake for this show - his finale started with him walking through the audience, 'playing' his cane. If I heard him right, he exclaimed "the cane is able!" :g

Great venue, for anyone in south Florida who is wondering. Its run by a 501© non-profit and in addition to booking jazz, blues and vocalists, also stages plays and has a teaching program for musicians of all ages. Just recently the city council voted to sell the space to the organization, they have 30 months to raise a couple of million dollars and I'll definitely be supporting them.

Rather than theater seating there are large tables, with seats assigned by the order of ticket purchase, so the quicker you buy the closer you sit but its impossible to have a bad seat. Non-premium tickets get you a chair in back or on the side wall, and I presume GA tickets are standing-room.

But now we know that its a BYOB facility, and that includes whatever food you want to bring. So people at our table had hors'd'ouvres and others had take-out containers for their dinners. We will definitely 'order in' when we go to see Calvin Newborn in a few weeks.

And MG - Lonnie actually looked quite skinny and somewhat frail. I really hope he is in good health. Per AMG he is only 71 and I was guessing late 70s, partially based on his appearance. :unsure:

No, Lonnie does not have a potbelly at all! I had dinner with the band between sets that day and he's a very heathy eater. I believe he might have some sort of belly pack on underneath his tunic. He (and they) were really great that night also.

'Scuse my ignorance, but what's a belly pack?

MG

• 4 weeks later...