• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Being a complete dunce I ordered on SHM-CD. Roamin' with Richardson- UCCO/ 5374

I'd forgot entirely that I had the OJC of this session. Whilst it's nice I don't need two copies.

I did an AB comparison and found only limited benefit from the SHMCD compared with the OJC. The SHMCD was slightly more open but nothing to get excited about.

• 3 weeks later...

monk_thelon_theloniou_134b.jpg

Not his best solo work (that would be either the first Riverside or the Columbia, imo, but his first, and not without considerable interest as such.

51_VTuf_Lfi_FL_SX355.jpg

On CD as Thelonious Monk Piano Solo (Vogue, BMG France, 1996).

discogs

R-1699666-1309253511.jpeg.jpg

The most recent edition of the solo Monk session mentioned above is SICP 3980. The sound is a little fuller than on the 90's Vogue/BMG edition.

How does the Japanese remaster compare to the Jazz on Disques Vogue box?

SICP 3980 is indeed quite a bit better than the black Vogue BMG France digipak. A no-brainer at ¥1000.

• 3 weeks later...

monk_thelon_theloniou_134b.jpg

Not his best solo work (that would be either the first Riverside or the Columbia, imo, but his first, and not without considerable interest as such.

51_VTuf_Lfi_FL_SX355.jpg

On CD as Thelonious Monk Piano Solo (Vogue, BMG France, 1996).

discogs

R-1699666-1309253511.jpeg.jpg

The most recent edition of the solo Monk session mentioned above is SICP 3980. The sound is a little fuller than on the 90's Vogue/BMG edition.

How does the Japanese remaster compare to the Jazz on Disques Vogue box?

SICP 3980 is indeed quite a bit better than the black Vogue BMG France digipak. A no-brainer at ¥1000.

And the French Vogue disc was miles better than that found in the Black Lion /Vogue Mosaic set.

• 3 weeks later...

UCCO5246.jpg

EFF! Listened to this earlier in the morning. I've never heard the OJC, but this SHM-CD is very good. Lots of the so-called "air" in the remaster. And ... Woods is not on auto-pilot! Kenny Dorham sounds like maybe he didn't have his coffee that day (notice how Jones likes to double-time during his solos), but this is an above-average blowing session (which most here probably already know). Anyway, recommended for sonics and the album itself.

PAIRING OFF.

Q DOUG (—the only letters of sidemen printed in white ... representing unbreakable Cold War code)