What happened to the old XTC thread?

Big Al

"Mummer" is a gorgeous album, but very, very English. Has virtually no connection to the punky XTC. As a listener with a strong affection for English folk it connected with me immediately (though it's far from a folk record).

I'm listening to this today for the first time in many years, and I forgot how acoustically lush and pastoral it is. Sure, there's a couple of clunkers on it (I've NEVER gotten all the way through "Human Alchemy" in the 18 years I've owned this CD), but the B-sides more than make up for that. And then there's "Funk Pop a Roll," a close cousin to "Life Begins at the Hop" in the hyper-rocker department!

"Wonderland" is such a beautiful song. And the video for it (which can be seen on youtube) is just as dreamy.

Speaking of XTC videos which can be seen on youtube, you HAVE to watch "Life Begins at the Hop." Colin does a hysterical apeing of Mick Jagger! :lol:

• 4 months later...
  • Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I dug out Skylarking on a whim after a long period of not listening to it. What an album! I've been listening to it non-stop.

With all due respect to Andy Partridge, who wrote some great songs for this album, Colin Moulding might've bested him here.

Apparently Colin is no longer interested in writing music. :(

Guy

edit. From wikipedia (at least Dave Gregory is back on board. hooray!):

The 2005 inclusion on Apple Box of the first new XTC tracks in five years ("Spiral", written by Partridge and "Say It", by Moulding), offered hope that the band might continue. However, in November 2006, Partridge told several interviewers that Moulding no longer had any interest in writing, performing or even listening to music. Partridge has said he would not continue XTC without Moulding, and that therefore he has been forced to regard XTC "in the past tense," with no likelihood of a new project unless Moulding should have a change of heart. (Ironically, Partridge says he and Gregory, their differences now resolved, have tentatively considered working together again.)
Edited by Guy

I dug out Skylarking on a whim after a long period of not listening to it. What an album! I've been listening to it non-stop.

With all due respect to Andy Partridge, who wrote some great songs for this album, Colin Moulding might've bested him here.

Apparently Colin is no longer interested in writing music. :(

Guy

Todd is Godd !!!!!!!

I was never able to listen to this band because the singer's voice bugged the hell out of me. I remember "superman" being one of my least favorite alt rock songs back in the day.

An old friend of mine got himself kicked out of a Catholic boarding school by blasting Dear God in his room one Sunday morning. He was, needless to say, pretty happy about that.

I was never able to listen to this band because the singer's voice bugged the hell out of me. I remember "superman" being one of my least favorite alt rock songs back in the day.

You might like Colin Moulding's voice, he sings about 20-30% of their music. I could see how some people would consider Andy Partridge whiny or annoying.

Guy

For all you Andy Partridge/XTC freaks out there. His new cd is up for ordering. Monstrance has Andy with Barry Andrews & Martyn Barker, and it should be interesting. From what I understand it's all instrumentals, with a ambient feel to it. All ready ordered my signed copy.

Edited by Matthew