• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

3 hours ago, jlhoots said:

Really, really good. Glad someone went to a new movie. :ph34r::excited:

I'd happily go and see it but Japanese release schedules are a joke. If lucky it might get a small release around next spring.

There are only a handful of subtitle writers in the whole country and they are backed up on a money making films first basis.

Anything minority appeal gets stuck at the back of the line.

I wanted to go and see Arrival but it looks like I'll have to wait till next summer.

All the many reasons I rarely go to the cinema any more !

On ‎9‎/‎11‎/‎2016 at 0:43 AM, BillF said:

poster-large.jpg?lastmod=1

Traditional theme (Simenon) given modern cinema treatment. Very good.

I read the book a few years back and quite enjoyed it.  I'll have to see if I can find the movie version available somewhere.

Recently watched:

shaft_in_africa_poster_01.jpg

The final film in the Shaft trilogy, one might expect it to be some low-budget, quickie exploitation movie, but it is actually a pretty darn good adventure movie.  Despite Mr. Shaft's protestation that "I'm no James Bond.  Simply Sam Spade" (and that is the kind of humor to be found here, so if that offends, best stay away), this movie is more akin to a Bond film than a private eye film.  Shaft is hired to go undercover among an African tribe whose men are being smuggled into Europe and exploited as virtual slaves.  The film has the international scope of a Bond film -- moving from New York to Addis Ababa to Paris -- the requisite beautiful, sexually available women and the standard wealthy, despicable super-villain.  There are some good action scenes, and interesting characters and the story solidly holds the viewer's interest (even if one does have to accept some typical movie plot contrivances).  If the Shaft series could have continued along these lines, I'd certainly have liked to see more of them rather than more lame Roger Moore Bond films.

b7c65598c933fc01546d4034db0e67da.jpg

The film which gave us Jerome Kern's "Long Ago (And Far Away)".  It may not be a "must see" film, but it is an entertaining movie with a rather trite plot.  There is one outstanding dance sequence in which Gene Kelly dances along a street scene with his reflection/conscience -- it's kind of a warm-up for what he would do years later in the famous "Singin' In The Rain" number.  Eve Arden is very good in a supporting role and Rita Hayworth is excellent as the star.

Edited by duaneiac