Blindfold Test #148 Discussion

tkeith

Hope I'm not stepping on toes but I want to make sure this gets up for the first of July.  Family on the way in and may not be able to get on line.  Discuss it here, download it here or find the link to the online test here.  One stop shopping.

Should be a couple of gimmes in here, but there should be some near impossible ones, too.  Something for whatever ails you!  

http://thomkeith.net/index.php?cID=136

Track 5 is Jymie Merritt's "Nommo" from Max Roach's "Drums Unlimited" album.  Freddie Hubbard, James Spaulding, Ronnie Mathews complete the lineup.  Caught that on a quick runthrough, look forward to enjoying the BFT in detail.  I know this tune well from it's inclusion on Lee Morgan's "Live at The Lighthouse", first jazz album I ever bought.

The last two months, responses on the first day have been so good that one can barely get a lick in after that. So, pedal to the metal...

1. Hey, buster, keep it in the political forum! Or, in this case, leave it here. An extremely clever ode to the vice president of the United States who shot an 80-year-old man in the face.

2. No idea, but I'm interested. Sounds like the string quartet is using pickups.

3. I'd guess it's from a Dave Douglas record. Or it's by somebody who has a bunch of Dave Douglas records.

4. Maybe not a commercial release – sounds like a cold, flat, clinical soundboard recording of an impressive performance. The pianist's ornamentation keeps reminding me of Ahmad Jamal. Might be one of those things Jamal did with George Coleman.

5. I hope this 7/4 thing is lurking in my collection somewhere, because if it isn't I have to hunt it down. Beautiful and maybe a bit ahead of its time. Am I detecting a pair of Adderleys? If no, is the alto Frank Strozier?

6. Well, there's your Adderley. Somebody was really quick.

7. Seems oddly familiar, but a quick check of my Hutcherson and Dickerson records doesn't reveal it. This is the one that's going to drive me crazy. If it's Dickerson, NIS will probably get it off the top of his head.

8. Are we in ECM land? Is that an oud? I like.

9. "In a Sentimental Mood." The tone isn't Jimmy Heath's, but something about the approach makes me think of him. Which would mean maybe Tony Purrone on guitar. But wait – at the end, the drummer seems to be revealed as Elvin – which suggests Grossman or Foster or Liebman, and/or Roland Prince.

10. Heh-heh-heh. Number 6 here.

11 Heh-heh-heh-heh. Number 7 here. Not my favorite arrangement by this group, but it'll do.

Another good one all the way, Thom!

1. Mock Trad satirical tribute to Dick Cheney.  Not that I have heard much of them but Squirrel Nut Zippers is my wild guess.
2. All bowed strings, willing to sound classical at times, but still an improvised feel to much of the lead voicing.  Erik Friedlander?  Maybe even Maxine Roach?
3. Not any Terje Rypdal I have heard before, but still might be Rypdal.  I have heard some of the Threadgill Mosaic stuff that had the same flavor, so I'll make that my guess.  Usually not more than one horn on a Rypdal unless it's orchestral.
4. Mellow mainstream tenor.  The recording makes me think 80s or later, live album with an attentive crowd.  I'll guess Eric Alexander.
5. The style is early Blue Note funk-jazz back when funk meant Horace Silver and Bobby Timmons rather than Stanley Clarke on electric bass.  It could be Lee and Jackie or it could be later adherents of the style.  I'll go with some generation of Horace Silver.
6. My first thought was an old-timer like Henry Red Allen or Ruby Braff playing in a slightly more modern setting.
7. If I keep guessing Joe Locke, someone will eventually play me some Joe Locke and I will be right!
8. Feels like Gato Barbieri in his more reserved moments.
9. That's a whole lotta horn.  If it ain't In A Sentimental Mood, it's at least a blood relative.  Can't see guessing anyone but Rollins.
10. Lyrical downtempo piano with exceptionally delicate accompaniment.  Who takes it this slow this convincingly?  Wild guess is Chris Anderson.
11. and a whole lotta bass.  Familiar composition that I'm not putting my finger on right now, leaning toward Monk ... Richard Davis my best guess for the artist.

1 & 2 – Don’t know, but I’m never again going to feel self-conscious about anything I put on one of my BFT’s!

3 – Post-Mahavishnu run amuck.  Dense. 

4 – Pretty, but I can’t possibly identify it.

5 – As I had previously posted, Jymie Merritt’s “Nommo” from the Max Roach ‘Drums Unlimited’ album.  Roach, Merritt,  Freddie Hubbard, James Spaulding, Ronnie  Mathews.  Half a great album, I could have lived without the drum solos and the  W.C. Handy revival. 

6 – Nat Adderley “Sister Caroline” from ‘Branching Out’ with Johnny Griffin and the Three Sounds.  Never have much liked that whole Gospel Jazz sub-genre, tend to skip over those cuts.

7 – I have to be in a certain mood for this sort of thing, often sad and/or thoughtful.  Whoever it is has listened to a lot of Walt Dickerson, but it’s not Dickerson, newer.

8 – I should like this more than I do.  I may well own it, but never listen to it.  Assume it’s something  from one of those 70’s Pharoah Sanders albums, but I can’t identify it right off.

9 –  Great stuff.  Elvin Jones Jazz Machine, ‘Soul Train’ album, “In A Sentimental Mood”.   I’m going to guess that is Andrew White rather than Ari Brown on the tenor solo.  Andy McCloud on bass,  Marvin Horn on guitar.  Don’t own this, wish I did!

10 – “Variations on a Theme by Erik Satie” (recognize it from the second Blood, Sweat, and Tears album).  No idea who the pianist or bassist are.  Lovely,  for sure, but is it jazz?  (which is one of my favorite questions to pose for my own BFT postings).

11 – “Round Midnight”. Great version.  I hope I have this, and should probably recognize it.  Will look into acquiring it (price permitting) if I don’t.  I’m going to guess this is the  Max Roach version (Odean Pope, Cecil Bridgewater, Calvin Hill) from ‘Chattahoochie Red’, which has never been on CD for some awful reason, and which I have never owned.

I just want to link to this hilarious comment tkeith made a few years ago about our respective tastes:

So, that said: um, I don't have much in the realm of useful guesses.

Track 1 is in the proud tradition of Tom Lehrer (and many others). That's a Roy Zimmerman song, but I don't know who's playing. Some New-Orleans-y street band sort of thing, but there isn't quite enough going on for me to recognize them (and I suspect they're not actually from New Orleans).

I kind of enjoyed track 6, and I assume that's Gene Harris on piano...?

Sorry I don't have more to say! Thank you for putting it together, Thom! I enjoyed struggling through some of this. ;)

My notes thus far:

Track #1: Hmmm…The Dartmouth Drunken Frat-Boys Sing Love Songs To Dick Cheney And Other Embarrassments (Rounder)?

Track #2: An interesting approach to string quartets.  Sounds more composed than improvised.  It reminds me of the Villa-Lobos string quartets as performed by Cuarteto Latinoamericano.  If it does have a jazz provenance, is it Mark Feldman on violin?

Track #3: Jean-Luc Ponty?  Or Michel Urbaniak with Urszula Dudziak?  Nice; reminiscent of that whole mid-70’s time, when jazz-rock ruled.

Track #4: Pensive, tender, stately.  I don’t recognize the musicians.  Nice; the solos are well-played within the composition.

Track #5: Overtones of Blue Note, but the way it stretches out makes me think the CD era.  Since the trumpeter reminds me of Freddie, is this V.S.O.P.?

Track #6: Ah, that glorious era of gospel-tinged jazz.  Powerful trumpeter with ease-of-control.  Interesting that the sax only comes in with his solo.  Sounds like Sonny!  Is the pianist Walter Davis Jr.?

Track #7: The vibes player has that lush Milt Jackson tone, but I don’t think that’s him, mostly because of the style of music.  Nice track; I like the interplay of the vibes and piano.

Edited by mjzee

Track #8: Has to be Gato Barbieri.  From Chapter 4: Latin America?

Track #9: Sonny?  Boy, that sounds like something I should have, but I don’t.  Wonderful track.

Track #10: What is the name of this track?  Is it an Erik Satie composition?  They used to play a version of this all the time on free-form FM radio in NYC in the early ’70’s.  This is another very nice performance; I have no idea who it is.

Track #11: Round Midnight.  A different take on it; I like it.  No idea who it is.

On July 1, 2016 at 2:24 AM, BillF said:

Track 5

Lee Morgan? James Spaulding?

Track 6

Johnny Griffin. Junior Mance?

Morgan, no.  Spaulding, yes.  J-Griff fools no one.  Not Junior.

On July 1, 2016 at 6:43 AM, Caravan said:

# 6 - Nat Adderley, Johnny Griffin, Gene Harris (I think).

Correct, sir!

On July 1, 2016 at 6:56 AM, BillF said:

Thanks, Caravan. I guess it's "Sister Caroline" from this:

maxresdefault.jpg

DING!  DING!

On July 1, 2016 at 3:48 PM, felser said:

Track 5 is Jymie Merritt's "Nommo" from Max Roach's "Drums Unlimited" album.  Freddie Hubbard, James Spaulding, Ronnie Mathews complete the lineup.  Caught that on a quick runthrough, look forward to enjoying the BFT in detail.  I know this tune well from it's inclusion on Lee Morgan's "Live at The Lighthouse", first jazz album I ever bought.

Ding! Ding!

On July 1, 2016 at 5:24 PM, Spontooneous said:

The last two months, responses on the first day have been so good that one can barely get a lick in after that. So, pedal to the metal...

1. Hey, buster, keep it in the political forum! Or, in this case, leave it here. An extremely clever ode to the vice president of the United States who shot an 80-year-old man in the face.

Pretty fun, musically, too.  

4. Maybe not a commercial release – sounds like a cold, flat, clinical soundboard recording of an impressive performance. The pianist's ornamentation keeps reminding me of Ahmad Jamal. Might be one of those things Jamal did with George Coleman.

Not a bad guess, but not a correct one.  Good ears.  It *is* a commercial release, but not a top shelf one by any means.

7. Seems oddly familiar, but a quick check of my Hutcherson and Dickerson records doesn't reveal it. This is the one that's going to drive me crazy. If it's Dickerson, NIS will probably get it off the top of his head.

High praise, right there.

8. Are we in ECM land? Is that an oud? I like.

Negative.

9. "In a Sentimental Mood." The tone isn't Jimmy Heath's, but something about the approach makes me think of him. Which would mean maybe Tony Purrone on guitar. But wait – at the end, the drummer seems to be revealed as Elvin – which suggests Grossman or Foster or Liebman, and/or Roland Prince.

This one should be fun.  Track, yes.  Comments on tenor are spot on, but not one of the tribe you mention.  

10. Heh-heh-heh. Number 6 here.

Ding!  Ding!  What a fantastic record by a fantastic artist (in the true sense of the word).

11 Heh-heh-heh-heh. Number 7 here. Not my favorite arrangement by this group, but it'll do.

Ding!  Ding!  I agree with your assessment, but such a unique version of the tune.

Another good one all the way, Thom!

Thanks, Spoon.

On July 2, 2016 at 10:59 AM, randyhersom said:

1. Mock Trad satirical tribute to Dick Cheney.  Not that I have heard much of them but Squirrel Nut Zippers is my wild guess.

Not a bad guess, but not correct.  I give these guys one notch above "mock", but follow the assessment.

2. All bowed strings, willing to sound classical at times, but still an improvised feel to much of the lead voicing.  Erik Friedlander?  Maybe even Maxine Roach?

Negative, but I like the path your ears are on.

3. Not any Terje Rypdal I have heard before, but still might be Rypdal.  I have heard some of the Threadgill Mosaic stuff that had the same flavor, so I'll make that my guess.  Usually not more than one horn on a Rypdal unless it's orchestral.

Another strong path, but not TR nor HT.  This is one of the tough ones in this BFT.

4. Mellow mainstream tenor.  The recording makes me think 80s or later, live album with an attentive crowd.  I'll guess Eric Alexander.

I'd rank Eric well above this player on a technical scale, but again, I like the path your ears are on.

7. If I keep guessing Joe Locke, someone will eventually play me some Joe Locke and I will be right!

Perhaps, but not this time.

8. Feels like Gato Barbieri in his more reserved moments.

Nope. 

9. That's a whole lotta horn.  If it ain't In A Sentimental Mood, it's at least a blood relative.  Can't see guessing anyone but Rollins.

His influence is certainly there, but not Newk.

10. Lyrical downtempo piano with exceptionally delicate accompaniment.  Who takes it this slow this convincingly?  Wild guess is Chris Anderson.

I believe Chris would thank you for that comment.

11. and a whole lotta bass.  Familiar composition that I'm not putting my finger on right now, leaning toward Monk ... Richard Davis my best guess for the artist.

When this was ID'd it must have given you fits. 

On July 2, 2016 at 1:26 PM, felser said:

1 & 2 – Don’t know, but I’m never again going to feel self-conscious about anything I put on one of my BFT’s!

;)  Push that bar!

6 – Nat Adderley “Sister Caroline” from ‘Branching Out’ with Johnny Griffin and the Three Sounds.  Never have much liked that whole Gospel Jazz sub-genre, tend to skip over those cuts.

I'm a flat-out sucker for it. :D

7 – I have to be in a certain mood for this sort of thing, often sad and/or thoughtful.  Whoever it is has listened to a lot of Walt Dickerson, but it’s not Dickerson, newer.

True, but perhaps not by as much as you think.

8 – I should like this more than I do.  I may well own it, but never listen to it.  Assume it’s something  from one of those 70’s Pharoah Sanders albums, but I can’t identify it right off.

Later.  I get precisely what you're saying, but this album has grown on me with each subsequent listening.  Not Pharoah.

9 –  Great stuff.  Elvin Jones Jazz Machine, ‘Soul Train’ album, “In A Sentimental Mood”.   I’m going to guess that is Andrew White rather than Ari Brown on the tenor solo.  Andy McCloud on bass,  Marvin Horn on guitar.  Don’t own this, wish I did!

Album correct.  Wrong tenor, but you named the correct one.  This one blew my mind.  I believe it was Tim Price who posted a clip of this on Facebook and it absolutely knocked my socks of because I love Ari Brown.  I was not aware he had recorded with Elvin until I heard this.  Ordinarily, I prefer this tune as a straight ballad, but when you do it this way, what's not to love?  The rest of the album is quite to this level (and Marvin Horn brings *nothing* to this cut, IMHO), but still very much worth a spot in the collection.  I purchased it digitally.

10 – “Variations on a Theme by Erik Satie” (recognize it from the second Blood, Sweat, and Tears album).  No idea who the pianist or bassist are.  Lovely,  for sure, but is it jazz?  (which is one of my favorite questions to pose for my own BFT postings).

The variation has been established above, but given the who, I respond, it most definitely is Jazz.  A great question, but the answer may define re-examining what we define as Jazz, or at least our view of it. ;)

11 – “Round Midnight”. Great version.  I hope I have this, and should probably recognize it.  Will look into acquiring it (price permitting) if I don’t.  I’m going to guess this is the  Max Roach version (Odean Pope, Cecil Bridgewater, Calvin Hill) from ‘Chattahoochie Red’, which has never been on CD for some awful reason, and which I have never owned.

Correct, Sir!

On July 3, 2016 at 6:00 PM, randyhersom said:

Re #8 there was a recent as in this century Charles Lloyd accompanied by Arabic instruments.  Could be that or Garbarek if it is ECM.

No no stringed instruments on Sangam.  Not Arabic but Indian.

Negative on both counts.

On July 4, 2016 at 3:16 PM, lipi said:

I just want to link to this hilarious comment tkeith made a few years ago about our respective tastes:

So, that said: um, I don't have much in the realm of useful guesses.

Track 1 is in the proud tradition of Tom Lehrer (and many others). That's a Roy Zimmerman song, but I don't know who's playing. Some New-Orleans-y street band sort of thing, but there isn't quite enough going on for me to recognize them (and I suspect they're not actually from New Orleans).

I kind of enjoyed track 6, and I assume that's Gene Harris on piano...?

Sorry I don't have more to say! Thank you for putting it together, Thom! I enjoyed struggling through some of this. ;)

Ah yes, my hilarious commentary. ;)

It IS a Zimmerman song.  The band, while not comprised of NOLA musicians, was in fact created in NOLA.  

Correct identification of Gene.  Track ID'd above.  Glad I got *something* in there to make your ears smile. :)

Just want to take a moment to state, again, for the record how much I hate the automatic merge-posts feature. :P

On July 5, 2016 at 2:40 PM, mjzee said:

My notes thus far:

Track #1: Hmmm…The Dartmouth Drunken Frat-Boys Sing Love Songs To Dick Cheney And Other Embarrassments (Rounder)?

Definitely not an ivy league crew.  

Track #2: An interesting approach to string quartets.  Sounds more composed than improvised.  It reminds me of the Villa-Lobos string quartets as performed by Cuarteto Latinoamericano.  If it does have a jazz provenance, is it Mark Feldman on violin?

Not Mark Feldman.

Track #3: Jean-Luc Ponty?  Or Michel Urbaniak with Urszula Dudziak?  Nice; reminiscent of that whole mid-70’s time, when jazz-rock ruled.

Interesting guess.  I hadn't considered Urbaniak, but I like the comparison.

Track #4: Pensive, tender, stately.  I don’t recognize the musicians.  Nice; the solos are well-played within the composition.

Very accurate.

Track #7: The vibes player has that lush Milt Jackson tone, but I don’t think that’s him, mostly because of the style of music.  Nice track; I like the interplay of the vibes and piano.

Me too!  

On July 6, 2016 at 10:09 PM, mjzee said:

Track #8: Has to be Gato Barbieri.  From Chapter 4: Latin America?

Or, you know, not. ;)

Track #9: Sonny?  Boy, that sounds like something I should have, but I don’t.  Wonderful track.

Right?  Id'd above.

Track #10: What is the name of this track?  Is it an Erik Satie composition?  They used to play a version of this all the time on free-form FM radio in NYC in the early ’70’s.  This is another very nice performance; I have no idea who it is.

Correct!  Id'd above, but you're spot on with all comments!

Track #11: Round Midnight.  A different take on it; I like it.  No idea who it is.

Id'd above.  As stated, not my favorite arrangement by the band nor of the song, but it's so different, it really grabs you.  

On 6/30/2016 at 7:54 PM, tkeith said:

When this was ID'd it must have given you fits. 

More than you know.  I am a Max Roach fanboy and saw him live three times.  And you slipped TWO Maxes by me!  And Round Midnight to boot.  My ears and I are going to have a talk!

On 7 I had the thought Jay Hoggard and Anthony Davis and checked out the tune beginnings of their MPS album and found no matches.  I'll still offer Jay Hoggard as a guess based on your hint that this might not be long after Walt Dickerson's recording phase.

On July 8, 2016 at 6:29 AM, randyhersom said:

More than you know.  I am a Max Roach fanboy and saw him live three times.  And you slipped TWO Maxes by me!  And Round Midnight to boot.  My ears and I are going to have a talk!

On 7 I had the thought Jay Hoggard and Anthony Davis and checked out the tune beginnings of their MPS album and found no matches.  I'll still offer Jay Hoggard as a guess based on your hint that this might not be long after Walt Dickerson's recording phase.

Not a bad offer, but not accepted. ;)

I cheated on #1, which I love, and found this online: If this group ever comes to my town, I will be there.

#3 has the sound of the 1970s fusion that I really like, but the engineering is too clean to be a 1970s track. It sounds to me like skilled re-enactors, recorded much more recently. They really capture that 1970s feel though.

Edited by Hot Ptah

5 hours ago, Hot Ptah said:

I cheated on #1, which I love, and found this online: If this group ever comes to my town, I will be there.

#3 has the sound of the 1970s fusion that I really like, but the engineering is too clean to be a 1970s track. It sounds to me like skilled re-enactors, recorded much more recently. They really capture that 1970s feel though.

Cheater!  Cheater! ;)  So, I cheated, too.  I actually grabbed the audio from this file.  This guys live one town over and I had the pleasure of doing a session with the singer in that studio back in April (which reminds me -- I have to check on the status of that).  One of the most enjoyable groups I've ever seen live.  They really enjoy what they do and they really GET it. 

Your ears serve you well on #3, though I would put them on a higher level than re-enactors.  While certainly influenced by music of the period, these guys really are making their own, unique path.

On ‎7‎/‎12‎/‎2016 at 7:18 PM, tkeith said:

Your ears serve you well on #3, though I would put them on a higher level than re-enactors.  While certainly influenced by music of the period, these guys really are making their own, unique path.

As I listen, the drumming is also more contemporary than it would have sounded in the 1970s. I am really interested in who this is. I would pay to go see them play.

Track 11, the Max Roach uptempo arrangement of "Round Midnight", reminds me of a time when I saw T.S. Monk, Thelonious' son the drummer, leading a bop combo. He introduced a song by saying that so often these days, we are told what is right and wrong about jazz, that only certain ways of playing are right and everything else is wrong. So he asked men who had played with his dad if it would be all right to play his dad's song in the arrangement he was about to present to us. He said that Max Roach told him to go ahead, that his his dad would have approved. He then played "Round Midnight" even more uptempo than on Track 11.

I can see why members guessed Mark Feldman or Erik Friedlander for Track 2, because this track sounds like it could have come from one of John Zorn's albums for strings. Jenny Scheinman can play in a style this accomplished. I am not familiar enough with all of her recordings to know if it is her.

Is Track 4 by a young Ricky Ford? Something keeps telling me that it is Ricky Ford.

I cannot identify the vibes player on Track 7. Oddly, for a few notes, he sounded like Gary Burton to me. But I have never heard Gary Burton play like this for any extended period of time. Very beautiful playing. I am looking forward to the Reveal so that I can go buy this album.

Do I hear William Parker on  Track 8? There is a great jazz collector, Scott Black, who sold a lot of his CDs on ebay in the mid-2000s, because he was moving from another city to a 900 square foot apartment in Manhattan with his wife, and literally did not have room for all of his music collection. I bought about 20 William Parker CDs from him, among many more albums. In fact, his auctions took a major hit on my bank account. Scott is a really nice guy, with a passion for jazz, and was great to deal with in the ebay sales. I cannot remember the specifics of every one of the many William Parker albums which I bought from him, but I feel like I am hearing William Parker here.

Edited by Hot Ptah

11 hours ago, Hot Ptah said:

Track 11, the Max Roach uptempo arrangement of "Round Midnight", reminds me of a time when I saw T.S. Monk, Thelonious' son the drummer, leading a bop combo. He introduced a song by saying that so often these days, we are told what is right and wrong about jazz, that only certain ways of playing are right and everything else is wrong. So he asked men who had played with his dad if it would be all right to play his dad's song in the arrangement he was about to present to us. He said that Max Roach told him to go ahead, that his his dad would have approved. He then played "Round Midnight" even more uptempo than on Track 11.

I saw T.S. Monk do a similar arrangement, same tune.  I always thought 'Round Midnight sounded like a Messengers' tune uptempo.  It worked that night and it works here.

I can see why members guessed Mark Feldman or Erik Friedlander for Track 2, because this track sounds like it could have come from one of John Zorn's albums for strings. Jenny Scheinman can play in a style this accomplished. I am not familiar enough with all of her recordings to know if it is her.

Is Track 4 by a young Ricky Ford? Something keeps telling me that it is Ricky Ford.

Not Ricky, but a quality guess.

I cannot identify the vibes player on Track 7. Oddly, for a few notes, he sounded like Gary Burton to me. But I have never heard Gary Burton play like this for any extended period of time. Very beautiful playing. I am looking forward to the Reveal so that I can go buy this album.

Do I hear William Parker on  Track 8? There is a great jazz collector, Scott Black, who sold a lot of his CDs on ebay in the mid-2000s, because he was moving from another city to a 900 square foot apartment in Manhattan with his wife, and literally did not have room for all of his music collection. I bought about 20 William Parker CDs from him, among many more albums. In fact, his auctions took a major hit on my bank account. Scott is a really nice guy, with a passion for jazz, and was great to deal with in the ebay sales. I cannot remember the specifics of every one of the many William Parker albums which I bought from him, but I feel like I am hearing William Parker here.

Man!  You have great ears!  'Tis William on bass.  If you ever want to part with any of those WP records, please consider me.  I have a few (very few) gaps in my WP collection.

3 hours ago, tkeith said:

Getting late in the month, just wanted to drop a quick reminder in here.  FYI, I'll be radio silence for a couple of days (surgery), but anticipate being back online Friday or Saturday at the latest.

Good luck!  Hope all goes well.