De-Warping?

Dan Gould

You put your smilie a bit far down but I would have understood your point (and the one before) anyway (and you mine too, I suppose). ;) Isn't it nice how you can use such a "one word fits all" nonsense word for some 60s-style imaginary futurist technology and then even use it in its real sense within the plot of one episode? :D Truly "one word fits all".

Too bad this particular episode probably never was shown on the screen here (I did not view all of them when they were current o TV here in the 70s but recall a few "time warp" (ah, there it is again, that word! :lol:) episodes, including more than one plotted in the oh so mythical "wild west", but not that one)

Funny this topic came up, I recently bought the Johnny Hodges Mosaic LP set and LP1 has a noticable warp near the side so I did some searching on the subject.   There are a ton of threads on Discogs.com about this, and one of them linked to this crazy looking product.    The LP in question seems to play fine, so I am going to live with it, although it's a bummer to open up an anxiously anticipated package and see that warp.   

• 1 month later...
On 25 July 2016 at 1:31 PM, Big Beat Steve said:

My deck arm is surprisingly tolerant too, including edge warps (some of then obviously caused by past localized heat exposure).

I have cured (well, improved significantly so the remaining warp didn't matter anymore) some warps in the past by the method that Kevin Bresnahan describes - careful application of heat (in my case over an electrical heating radiator) so that the record feels not really hot but "hey, this is getting a bit warm" and then storing it horizontally with a couple of phone books (or 10 copies of "Black Beauty White Heat"?? :D) on top. Has worked both on dish warps (relatively straightforward but patience required) and edge warps (difficult and LOTs of patience as well as - sometimes - repeated attempts required).

Strangely, I have seen the opposite happen to me on a 78! A copy of a Nellie Lutcher 78 on Capitol that I had stored upright along with others in one of those wire racks fashionable from the 50s became so warped after a couple (few, really) years' storage that it became unplayable. And not even any heat exposure to blame it on! I've never seen anything like this happen before, though in earlier years I had stored loads of 78s that way (a practice I have given up long ago, though mostly due to lack of storage space).

An attempt at careful straightening/flatteing resulted in a hairline crack. Luckily I got another copy of that one in a bulk purchase some 10 years ago and also have it on vinyl.

My understanding is that 78s are prone to warp when stored in a location with marked heat variation . A modern house's loft ,I was advised ,was something of a death knell for shellac. Too cold in the winter swing to hot in the summer. The garage might be safer ,   where there's only the damp to worry about!

• 3 weeks later...
On 26-7-2016 at 8:02 PM, Kevin Bresnahan said:

What's the old saying... If it sounds too good to be true, it probably isn't true. :)

This one is a true one for shure: http://www.wittmann-hifi.de/hifi/audio/afi_flat_plattenbuegler.htm    

http://www.theaudiobeat.com/blog/afi_flat.htm

I own it now for a week: it`s really amazing.

I have no warped records ( goes strait into the bin ) but the Relax option :wub:

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/26/2016 at 11:10 AM, bluesoul said:

It works very well. it may not cure the extremely warped records completely, but it does make a huge difference.

On 9/12/2016 at 5:17 AM, tomatamot said:

This one is a true one for shure: http://www.wittmann-hifi.de/hifi/audio/afi_flat_plattenbuegler.htm    

http://www.theaudiobeat.com/blog/afi_flat.htm

I own it now for a week: it`s really amazing.

I have no warped records ( goes strait into the bin ) but the Relax option :wub:

Psycho-acoustics, perhaps?

What is the scientific substantiation for this?

" I wanted to hear just how much (if any) difference the Flat could make to what was already a great pressing. The answer is "quite a bit." Running the record through the Flat’s Relax program removed a layer of grain and lumpiness. On "It’s Different for Girls," the opening guitar was more delicate and textured, the bass had more shape and a propulsive quality, making the standard, un-Relaxed pressing sound somewhat clumsy and thick in comparison. Jackson’s distinctive voice was more natural and instrumental separation and layering were much clearer and less congested, especially through the chorus. The result was more engaging, with an easier sense of flow, an unforced quality to the playing and a much more infectious, sing-along quality, all good stuff. "