Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

81PxcuKJtpL._SS500_.jpg

Tony Williams - Native Heart (Blue Note, 1990)
with Wallace Roney, Billy Pierce, Mulgrew Miller, and Ira Coleman (or Robert Hurst on half the cuts)

What a great band.  I love Tony's hookup with Mulgrew.  It was a perfect hand-in-glove fit. 

and

616UpjTf6-L._SS500_.jpg

Jaco Pastorius - Word of Mouth (Warner Brothers, 1981)

Edited by HutchFan

R-1469068-1562170017-1414.jpeg.jpg

R-1469068-1562170026-5899.jpeg.jpg

The only Chick Corea band I ever saw in performance was his Origin group.  It was a very enjoyable, kind of loose set at Yoshi's.  Mr. Corea played piano & marimba, as he does on this CD.  I recalled really liking this disc back when it was new (1999) and was pleased to find the music still sounds holds up.  Nothing uniquely innovative, just some engaging compositions played by a very good jazz ensemble.

Listening to this one again to start off my listening day. I had forgotten how prettily Zoot plays on the soprano sax. Like Barney Wilen he has a distinct and pretty sound on all the horns he plays. 

I'm also really enjoying Tana's subtle drumming.

Zoot Sims "I Wish I Were Twins" Pablo cd

MI0000698613.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

7 hours ago, duaneiac said:

The only Chick Corea band I ever saw in performance was his Origin group.  It was a very enjoyable, kind of loose set at Yoshi's.  Mr. Corea played piano & marimba, as he does on this CD.  I recalled really liking this disc back when it was new (1999) and was pleased to find the music still sounds holds up.  Nothing uniquely innovative, just some engaging compositions played by a very good jazz ensemble.

The single disc of that group live at the Blue Note is quite enjoyable. I picked up the box set a few years ago for a ridiculous price ($10 new, I think?!) and while it’s not perhaps Miles-at-the-Plugged-Nickel worthy, still a somewhat underrated point in the Corea discography. (There’s no overlap between the single disc and the box set, btw.)

Right now:

71mLu%2BelCLL._SX466_.jpg

Edited by ghost of miles

Just now, ghost of miles said:
7 hours ago, duaneiac said:

The single disc of that group live at the Blue Note is quite enjoyable. I picked up the box set a few years ago for a ridiculous price ($10 new, I think?!) and while it’s not perhaps Miles-at-the-Plugged-Nickel worthy, still a somewhat underrated point in the Corea discography. (There’s no overlap between the single disc and the box set, btw.)

Right now:

Perhaps my favorite Corea of the last decades, this and the live Origin material.

Right now

Abbey Lincoln "Straight Ahead" Candid/Solid Records Japan cd, mono mix.

AbbeyLincolnSTraightAhead.jpg

Haven't listened to this for some time. . . what a BAND!

Abbey Lincoln — vocals
Booker Little — trumpet
Julian Priester — trombone
Eric Dolphy — alto saxophone, bass clarinet, flute, piccolo
Walter Benton, Coleman Hawkins — tenor saxophone
Mal Waldron — piano
Art Davis — bass
Max Roach — drums
Roger Sanders, Robert Whitley — congas

24 minutes ago, jazzbo said:

Listening to this one again to start off my listening day. I had forgotten how prettily Zoot plays on the soprano sax. Like Barney Wilen he has a distinct and pretty sound on all the horns he plays. 

I'm also really enjoying Tana's subtle drumming.

Zoot Sims "I Wish I Were Twins" Pablo cd

MI0000698613.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

I love those Zoot Pablo albums in general!