JSngry

So, What Are You Listening To NOW?

34,063 posts in this topic

MI0001916425.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

Groove Holmes - American Pie (Groove Merchant, 1972)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

R-1047017-1453803081-3722.jpeg.jpg

The CD, with the epic uncut "Escapism".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, John Tapscott said:

the-exciting-terry-gibbs-big-band-live-a

Hey -- I have been listening to that one in my car the past couple of days and LOVING it!!  I love all the Terry Gibbs big band "Live" stuff I have heard.  I actually feel kinda guilty about listening to this band without the necessary accompaniment of a thick well-done steak, a highball and lots of cigar/cigarette smoke because that's the setting for which this music was designed, Just listening to this music, I half expect to see Joey Bishop or Marty Milner seated at a nearby table.  This is the type of band for whom "Too Close For Comfort" was a big showstopper, so this is not music for Maria Schneider acolytes.  Great arrangements, although some might dismiss them as "clever", and a band of musicians who combine to create a powerful, swinging musical machine.  Mel Lewis keeps the band's engines well stoked.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, duaneiac said:

 This is the type of band for whom "Too Close For Comfort" was a big showstopper, so this is not music for Maria Schneider acolytes. 

Why not? Are they averse to learning or otherwise paying attention? Or simply enjoying? God help them if they are!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, JSngry said:

Why not? Are they averse to learning or otherwise paying attention? Or simply enjoying? God help them if they are!

My impression is they would be aghast to find themselves appreciating the same type of music that the unwashed masses hoot & holler & applaud for. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, JSngry said:

R-1047017-1453803081-3722.jpeg.jpg

The CD, with the epic uncut "Escapism".

Funk machine ....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, duaneiac said:

My impression is they would be aghast to find themselves appreciating the same type of music that the unwashed masses hoot & holler & applaud for. 

Do you actually know any of these people?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yesterday

R-1363302-1527180668-7353.jpeg.jpg
41JAS16PQ7L.jpg

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, JohnS said:

Yesterday

R-1363302-1527180668-7353.jpeg.jpg

👍👍👍!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's been a Xanadu morning:

71PboOKOK4L._SS360_.jpg  81BELC+4koL._SS360_.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Prompted by the Dexter-on-SteepleChase talk elsewhere on the board:

714xJMI6CQL._SS500_.jpg

Oh yeah. :D 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, HutchFan said:

Prompted by the Dexter-on-SteepleChase talk elsewhere on the board:

714xJMI6CQL._SS500_.jpg

Oh yeah. :D 

👍👍👍and more .... rather unsurprisingly I believe 😎 ....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

VACM-7106.jpg?v=1

Together with "Biting The Apple" and "Lullaby For A Monster" part of my Dexter Gordon SteepleChase studio recordings trifecta ....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

81hAp27LGdL._SS500_.jpg

Contact - 5 on One (Pirouet, 2010)
featuring Dave Liebman, John Abercrombie, Marc Copland, Drew Gress, and Billy Hart

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.