2017 MLB Facts, Lies, Propaganda, Opinions, & Pictures

• Replies 576
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

11 hours ago, Patrick said:

Somewhat surprised to see CLE announce Trevor Bauer as game 1 starter, followed by Kluber and Carrasco. Understand TB not facing Severino or Santana, and Carrasco excellent on road, but...

Rationale being that they'll have Kluber for a Game 5 if necessary?

Wow, that game last night... the first inning alone! Incredible 26-out performance from the Yankee bullpen. Great to see guys like Judge, Bird and Sanchez getting their first playoff game under their belt, along with huge contributions from veterans Gardner and D-Rob. Twins are young, didn't even have Sano last night, and are going to be burning to beat us in the future after all of the media focus on their record against NY in recent years. Cleveland the obvious favorite in the ALDS, but I hope the Yanks at least make a fight of it. October baseball... God, I love it!

3 hours ago, ghost of miles said:

Wow, that game last night... the first inning alone! Incredible 26-out performance from the Yankee bullpen. Great to see guys like Judge, Bird and Sanchez getting their first playoff game under their belt, along with huge contributions from veterans Gardner and D-Rob. Twins are young, didn't even have Sano last night, and are going to be burning to beat us in the future after all of the media focus on their record against NY in recent years. Cleveland the obvious favorite in the ALDS, but I hope the Yanks at least make a fight of it. October baseball... God, I love it!

Think this a perfect opportunity to gain experience .... Cleveland is the clear favorite and the Yankees have nothing to lose ...

3 hours ago, ghost of miles said:

Yep, very exciting.

Lots of interesting discussion among Indians fans here regarding Cleveland's rotation and roster choices for the ALDS:

Let's Go Tribe thread comments

And here:

Indians set ALDS roster, Trevor Bauer to start Game 1

I think a lot of factors favor Cleveland here, especially the home-field advantage; the Yankees were a much better team at Yankee Stadium this year, and Tanaka in particular was bad on the road.  (Though Severino was actually better on the road, but I just can't see him getting the call for Game 2, even having thrown only 29 pitches last night... I have to think it'll be some combination of Tanaka and Gray.) 

Nice brief write up by Roger Angell for the New Yorker about the AL wild-card game, with well-deserved praise for Didi Gregorius' presence on the team in general:

Young Yankees rebound

So Cleveland has the league's best rotation ERA and the best bullpen ERA. That may be true, sir, but the Yankees had the MLB's second-best run differential, second only to... Uh, Cleveland. :ph34r:

Also looks like tomorrow night's game could get rained out. 

MLB Play-Off Pool

5 points per 1st round series

10 points per ALCS / NLCS series

20 points per World Series

Tie Breaker 

Total games in the World Series

------------------------

My picks 

AL

Tribe over Yankees 

Astros over Boston

Tribe over Astros 

NL

Cubs over Nationals

DBacks over Dodgers 

Cubs over DBacks 

WS

Tribe over Cubs in 6 games 

Edited by Soulstation1

1997 ALDS:  Cleveland defeats New York in five games

2007 ALDS:  Cleveland defeats New York in four games

2017 ALDS:  ??? By the above vecter, Cleveland defeats New York in three games? NOOOOO..... :ph34r:

(Leaving out the 1998 matchup, which the Yankees won, because it was an ALCS, not an ALDS)

Edited by ghost of miles

Well, that was a spanking. I went to a 7 p.m. showing of Blade Runner 2049, and NY was down 4-0 in the 7th by the time I got out. Looking over the box score, I'm inclined to think even more that this ALDS will setve as intense growing pains for the Yanks. Cleveland's clearly on another level (no surprise that they took 5 of 7 from NY during the regular season).

2 hours ago, ghost of miles said:

Kluber completely dominated NY in his two starts against them this year (2-0, 18 K's, 2 walks, 6 hits, 1.59 ERA in 17 IP). So the Yanks could well be in for another ugly night at the plate.

Yeah, not a fun game to watch from NY side of it. Odds are it will be the same tonight, but I'm holding hope for something different.

Gawd almighty, the Yanks actually  jump out to a 2-0 lead in the first inning (Kluber definitely without his A game so far, gave up that homer to Sanchez and needed 38 pitches to get three outs) and now NY and CC (w/error assist by Todd Frazier) have given it right back.  That didn't last long.

Edited by ghost of miles