Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
medjuck

BFT for September

15 posts in this topic

Since BFT 161 has been revealed this must be 162.  It's not actually September here in California for another few hours but it must be September for some people on this board (though Thom might not activate this right away-- not sure where he is --but I'd like to thank him for al his help).

http://thomkeith.net/index.php/blindfold-tests/

Edited by medjuck

OK It's BFT 162 and it's up and running.  Thanks Thom. 

Track 1: Wardell Gray "Southside"

Track 3: Tiny Grimes?

Track 4: "Swapping Horns" with Bird on tenor and Allen Eager on alto.

Track 7: Red Norvo in there?

Track 11: "Abide with Me" and "Blue Monk" but by whom I wouldn't know.

2 hours ago, BillF said:

Track 1: Wardell Gray "Southside"

YES

Track 3: Tiny Grimes?

NO

Track 4: "Swapping Horns" with Bird on tenor and Allen Eager on alto.

YES

Track 7: Red Norvo in there?

NO

Track 11: "Abide with Me" and "Blue Monk" but by whom I wouldn't know.

YES, but....

great compilation!

1. wardell gray

3. i love this. some of my most favourite recordings feature great musicians on "second" instruments. wes on 6-string bass, sam jones on cello. john webber plays great jazz guitar too. the guitarist falls into that league. he sounds a lot like wes on that echoes of indiana blues tune. it ain't wes, but man, has he soul. he did record with wes though ;)

4. bird on tenor

5. this is lenny breau. the way he incorporates chords into his single-lines is so sophisticated. beautiful voicings. like a joe pass with more taste.

7. that swung. purely guessing: adrian rollini on xylophone? great rhythm guitar. that sounded so fresh.

9. poorly recorded, "blanket over amp" sound. but he is good. single lines do sound a bit like bickert, but a bit more agressive. would like to hear more.

12. sonny greenwich with bickert. great record and pairing. greenwich gets such a great sound out of his appearantly cheap amp. his obvious admiration for grant green and coltrane make him very enjoyable to listen to for me. and bickert has so much taste.

11 hours ago, hgweber said:

great compilation!

1. wardell gray

3. i love this. some of my most favourite recordings feature great musicians on "second" instruments. wes on 6-string bass, sam jones on cello. john webber plays great jazz guitar too. the guitarist falls into that league. he sounds a lot like wes on that echoes of indiana blues tune. it ain't wes, but man, has he soul. he did record with wes though ;)

4. bird on tenor

5. this is lenny breau. the way he incorporates chords into his single-lines is so sophisticated. beautiful voicings. like a joe pass with more taste.

7. that swung. purely guessing: adrian rollini on xylophone? great rhythm guitar. that sounded so fresh.

9. poorly recorded, "blanket over amp" sound. but he is good. single lines do sound a bit like bickert, but a bit more agressive. would like to hear more.

12. sonny greenwich with bickert. great record and pairing. greenwich gets such a great sound out of his appearantly cheap amp. his obvious admiration for grant green and coltrane make him very enjoyable to listen to for me. and bickert has so much taste.

great compilation!

1. wardell gray

You seem to know who it is but aren't saying.  Most people on this board have this record. 

4. bird on tenor

Yes.  

No

Yes.  Wow. You're good. 

not good, just lucky with the selection of tunes.

3. milt jackson on guitar with ray charles. he plays with his thumb like wes. mindblowing track. did he ever record on guitar before or after?

Are you Canadian?  You got three out of 4 of the Canadian guitar players.  And 4 out of 5 of the guitar players. 

#6 has the sound of Blind Willie Johnson, almost like jazz musicians playing over an old Blind Willie Johnson album. 

#8: I can't identify it but I want to buy it I really like this track a lot! The arrangement, the feel, the solos--all just what I like. 

More comments to come.

2 hours ago, Hot Ptah said:

#6 has the sound of Blind Willie Johnson, almost like jazz musicians playing over an old Blind Willie Johnson album. 

It is a Blind Willie composition.

#8: I can't identify it but I want to buy it I really like this track a lot! The arrangement, the feel, the solos--all just what I like. 

The bass sax solo might be a clue. 

This is my first attempt to discuss a Blindfold Test. It is a humbling experience.

1. A great mainstream tenor player. I should know who it is but I don't. This sounds like a 1940s recording. Great tone, memorable.

2.  Is this from a film soundtrack? It sounds like one of the earlier scat singing recordings, apart from Louis Armstrong. I can't place the singer.

3.  This is from the expanded CD reissue of Soul Brothers, the album with Ray Charles and Milt Jackson. My LP did not have this song on it. It is "Bags Guitar Blues". That is Milt Jackson on guitar. It would have been interesting to hear him play guitar like this when he was in the Modern Jazz Quartet. It would have been a natural thing while the MJQ was recording for Apple Records.

4. Two excellent saxophonists. I am afraid that I do not know who they are. I will probably be embarrassed when I find out who I could not identify.

5. Again, I do not know who these two guitar players are. The main soloist is a fine player but his unique stylings are not something I really like. I am pretty sure that I have never heard his playing before.

6. That is the famous Blind Willie Johnson song, "Dark is the Night Cold Is the Ground". Ry Cooder covered it on one of his early albums. That made me go back and find the original. I think Blind Willie's original was included on the gold disc that was sent into outer space, with sounds of Earth, for alien civilizations to find and listen to. I do not know who is recording this version. It is very interesting. It sounds so close to the original at times, but then not close to the original at other times.

7. This is a cheery, bouncy little song. Who would have recorded this? It sounds like something from the 1930s, maybe the 1940s. I am not familiar enough with those time periods to know this song. It embodies light heartedness. Most of the musicians I know from those years are heavies.

8. I have no idea who this is. It is on the level of something that Charles Mingus would have done when he was at his most ambitious. It is clearly not him. Whoever it is, it is both impressive and enjoyable.

9. I have no idea at all who this is. Good playing.

10. This is an unusual song. It sounds like the kind of experimental things that were being done in the late 1960s, maybe into the early 1970s.  I cannot place the flute player, or the guitar player.

11. This is a set of songs recorded by Thelonious Monk. One of them is Blue Monk. The musicians are very fine musicians. I cannot place them.

.12. Two very good mainstream guitar players. I cannot place them. At times it reminds me of the 1970s Paul Desmond recordings with Ed Bickert. Of course Paul Is not here.

13.  I have listened to just enough Latin jazz, to know that I usually like it. That is the case here. This is an energetic, positive sounding piece. I do not know who is playing. The trumpet player has a lot of energy.

I hardly know any of the musicians, songs or albums. As I said, this was a humbling experience. Maybe I will do better on my second try with a Blindfold Test.

One of the saxophonists on Track 4 is either Charlie Parker or a disciple of Charlie Parker who was so into Parker that he slept with his Charlie Parker records.

Track 11--who is that clarinet player? He is more smooth and elegant sounding than any top jazz clarinet player I can think of. So who could that be, who also has a lot of technique? I can't figure it out.

Track 13 is interesting. The trombone soloist sounds more like an R&B/blues player, not a bop schooled jazz player. So how many of those are there, if I am correct about that? Fred Wesley? I saw him live and he did not sound like this. The trombonist could be a Latin player. I don't know the world of Latin trombone at all. Willie Colon did not sound like this. It is a mystery, and intriguing.

On 9/4/2017 at 6:38 AM, medjuck said:

You got three out of 4 of the Canadian guitar players.  And 4 out of 5 of the guitar players. 

So, I listened to track 9 in the hope that I might recognize the Canadian player.  Thought it might be someone like Peter Leitch, or Lorne Lofsky, or Reg Schwager.  Doesn't sound like any of those to me.  This player sounds a bit less fluid/polished and confident than those guys.  Good player, but not what I would call world class (feel the same about the pianist).  He/she sounds like they might have been influenced by Joshua Breakstone (who has done a few stop-time tunes like this, btw).  I think I like the composition better than the playing on this track.

I've heard about another Canadian player named Richard Ring, but I'm not familiar with his work.

Track 7 Sweet Sue made me think of John Kirby sextet like music. But he didn't use xylophoon in his band. It took me some searching to find Kenny Clarke's Kvintett Stockholm 1938. Great fun find.I got it on a Edgar Hayes Classics CD. Hadn't played it for ages.

Realy liked track 8.