Hot Ptah's thread

Larry Kart

I want to spread joy and happiness in the world, and interesting discussion. This particular topic was not of interest to the board, and seemed to be creating negativity. I am feeling my mortality after three surgeries this year, and just don't want to be the instigator of negativity any more in the years I have left on this earth.

Hey man, you can like what you like. 

I work for a celebrity theater director as his archivist and am not averse to spectacle. Sure, I vastly prefer the rawness of intimate performance but there's something intriguing about wild, complex stage design and choreography. It's another art and when done well, can be quite an experience.

2 hours ago, Dan Gould said:

Better left unexplained. He didn't think the discussion of his topic was fair or reasonable and regretted posting it.

Fair enough. HP has always been a standup cat in my book. Sorry to hear things went sideways. 

1 hour ago, clifford_thornton said:

Hey man, you can like what you like. 

I work for a celebrity theater director as his archivist and am not averse to spectacle. Sure, I vastly prefer the rawness of intimate performance but there's something intriguing about wild, complex stage design and choreography. It's another art and when done well, can be quite an experience.

Your description makes me think of all those grandiose stages and visually spectacular tours groups like The Rolling Stones and Pink Floyd lugged around the globe.

Would I have preferred seeing them in a club and forego all of that? Hell no! 

Yeah, not at all. My artistic director collaborated with Lady Gaga so I did see LG perform and it was quite enjoyable -- Jeff Koons sculptures everywhere, goofy lights, loud sound system, choreography, crowds, video art. It wasn't in a huge venue but by no means would it have worked at The Stone!

Anybody interested in deign in general might want to have a look at the Netflix series Abstract: https://www.netflix.com/title/80057883

There's an episode dedicated to Es Devlin, with whose work I was totally unfamiliar, but was much impressed. https://esdevlin.com/

It's not the type of thing that I would go to, personally, but I do get it and its attraction for certain types of performance/performers.

I also don't think that it is necessary for every type of performer to go there, One size does not fit all, because there is no such thing as one size. Fill the size you got, that's all. If you need more space, make more space. If you need less, use less. It will work if it's right, and if it's not right, nothing will change that.