Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
kh1958

Blindfold Test 185--Link and Discussion

26 posts in this topic

Track 1 is really nice.  It sounds like old time jazz--maybe something by Fats Waller.  But it's a modern, or relatively modern, player.   Nice touch on the keys.  Maybe Hank Jones?

Track 2 also interesting--tenor/piano duo.  It sound a bit like Jan Garbarek, including the shift from slow and breathy to rather overheated.  I would not think he'd do a track so brief (3 minutes).

Track 3 is another short one and another duo.  This certainly has elements of Classical.  Eddie Daniels?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

5 sounds great with the harp.
good singer and trio on 11.  She listened to some Flora Purim growing up!  Trumpet works great.  This is the pick of the BFT for me, and one I'd like to acquire.
13 has a nice atmosphere and a good guitarist

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

7 hours ago, Milestones said:

Track 1 is really nice.  It sounds like old time jazz--maybe something by Fats Waller.  But it's a modern, or relatively modern, player.   Nice touch on the keys.  Maybe Hank Jones?

Track 2 also interesting--tenor/piano duo.  It sound a bit like Jan Garbarek, including the shift from slow and breathy to rather overheated.  I would not think he'd do a track so brief (3 minutes).

Track 3 is another short one and another duo.  This certainly has elements of Classical.  Eddie Daniels?

 

The first track is an early jazz composition from New Orleans; the performance is relatively recent; not Hank Jones, but a fairly well known pianist.

The tenor sax on the second track is little known; only one recording as a sideman with a famous jazz leader to my knowledge. There is actually a tragic reason the track is brief.

Number 3 is not Eddie Daniels. It is an original composition by the pianist; two contemporary artists who play together regularly. 

6 hours ago, felser said:

5 sounds great with the harp.
good singer and trio on 11.  She listened to some Flora Purim growing up!  Trumpet works great.  This is the pick of the BFT for me, and one I'd like to acquire.
13 has a nice atmosphere and a good guitarist

I've been listening to 3 CDs by the harp player a lot lately. And I love the tenor saxophonist.

You have heard of the trumpet player on 11.

13 is a drummer led date. The guitarist on 13 is a name player (contemporary). 

Edited by kh1958

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Track 1 a Jelly Roll Morton composition?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, BillF said:

Track 1 a Jelly Roll Morton composition?

Yes, The Crave.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, kh1958 said:

Yes, The Crave.

Ennio Morricone?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

51 minutes ago, BillF said:

Ennio Morricone?

No, this is a "name" American jazz pianist, though usually regarded as a polar opposite of Hank Jones. And playing with a not that well recorded bassist who played with Max Roach.

Edited by kh1958

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Arthur Rhames?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, JSngry said:

Arthur Rhames?

Nope.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow this is a my first I attend and difficult it is. To be honest: I do not recognize any of the musicians... I like number 2. Passionate saxophone player. Sounds like someone with some southern feel in her playing like Archie Shepp. I leave the rest up to the rest.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Pim said:

Wow this is a my first I attend and difficult it is. To be honest: I do not recognize any of the musicians... I like number 2. Passionate saxophone player. Sounds like someone with some southern feel in her playing like Archie Shepp. I leave the rest up to the rest.

The sound of the Texas saxophone.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Rachella Parks-Washington?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

41 minutes ago, JSngry said:

Rachella Parks-Washington?

Correct. From Fort Worth.

The song is "And I Cried" concerning her diagnosis with an incurable disease affecting, among other things, her lungs-sarcoidosis.

Years ago, I saw her play at the Caravan of Dreams several times with Charles Moffett. Also, she is the saxophonist on the final Ronald Shannon Jackson and the Decoding Society recording on DIW, Shannon's House.

After disappearing from live appearances for many years, recently she seems to have rallied and plays an occasional concert, one of which I attended a few weeks ago. She mostly played EWI, but the three songs where she played her tenor were quite good--especially a wonderful version of Over the Rainbow.  

Edited by kh1958

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I crossed paths (lightly), with her back in the very early 1990s when playing on the local "chitlin' circuit", she'd come out to some gigs and listen. She was more or less a novice then, but was obviously gifted and sincere. I don't have this record, wasn't really aware of it, but now that I am....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

Have seen her several times over the last couple of years in a quartet led by Julie Bonk. Fits in perfectly with Julie. Nice.

1 hour ago, kh1958 said:

Correct. From Fort Worth.

The song is "And I Cried" concerning her diagnosis with an incurable disease affecting, among other things, her lungs-sarcoidosis.

Years ago, I saw her play at the Caravan of Dreams several times with Charles Moffett. Also, she is the saxophonist on the final Ronald Shannon Jackson and the Decoding Society recording on DIW, Shannon's House.

After disappearing from live appearances for many years, recently she seems to have rallied and plays an occasional concert, one of which I attended a few weeks ago. She mostly played EWI, but the three songs where she played her tenor were quite good--especially a wonderful version of Over the Rainbow.  

 

45 minutes ago, JSngry said:

I crossed paths (lightly), with her back in the very early 1990s when playing on the local "chitlin' circuit", she'd come out to some gigs and listen. She was more or less a novice then, but was obviously gifted and sincere. I don't have this record, wasn't really aware of it, but now that I am....

 

Edited by Morganized

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't know Julie Bonk. A singer?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Piano/ Singer............ Musician

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Julie was a classmate of mine back in the day, very hardcore jazz back then, has evolved (last I looked) into more of a singer-songwriter type, but still keeping the jazz-inform.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Track 11...what is this?  Some nice trumpet, a bit in the style of Miles circa early 80s--but he gets rather intense later.  Nice singer.  She can hold a note, among other things. 

Track 12...old-time feel with some fine playing.  Maybe Ken Peplowski?  Some members associated with Wynton?

Track 13 has something of a smooth jazz feel, but certainly a couple of cuts above the usual stuff.  No idea on the drummer. Grant Geissman or Chuck Loeb on guitar?  Just guessing.

Track 14, "St. James Infirmary,"  is pretty cool.  Other than the edgy guitar, it sounds a bit in Ray Charles style, though certainly not Ray himself.  No idea.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Milestones said:

Track 11...what is this?  Some nice trumpet, a bit in the style of Miles circa early 80s--but he gets rather intense later.  Nice singer.  She can hold a note, among other things. 

Track 12...old-time feel with some fine playing.  Maybe Ken Peplowski?  Some members associated with Wynton?

Track 13 has something of a smooth jazz feel, but certainly a couple of cuts above the usual stuff.  No idea on the drummer. Grant Geissman or Chuck Loeb on guitar?  Just guessing.

Track 14, "St. James Infirmary,"  is pretty cool.  Other than the edgy guitar, it sounds a bit in Ray Charles style, though certainly not Ray himself.  No idea.

On 11, the singer is someone I heard in person from attending Winter Jazzfest in New York. I thought her set was great. Her backup group has been a working group for almost ten years, she said. The trumpeter is the producer of the recording and the best known player on the track by far.

12: The banjo player was in the Sun Ra Arkestra for many years. The soprano saxophonist is the leader and is younger (late 20s). He's someone I've encountered live a few times and really like, both in the modern jazz and traditional jazz contexts. I believe he attended the school where Ellis Marsalis teaches.

13:  Not correct on guitar. The guitarist is of the "Young Lions" generation. I heard this band (without the guitarist) a couple of years ago; the swing was so intense. Really great set--they opened with this track, better than this version.

14. The vocalist is mostly a drummer, a prominent personage on his instrument is his city. The guitarist is young, one of his drum students, who one day told his teacher he played a little guitar as well, and this duo (augmented on the recording) was formed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Got to this one while working on some stuff, today.  Wasn't much inline with my typical listening, but that's a healthy exercise.  I'm definitely getting shut out on this one.  :D

Track 01 - I want to like it more than I do.  Has elements of a Mal Waldron feel, but I find the main them kind of cutesy.  It’s not good or bad, just can’t tell if it’s serious.  I appreciate when the bass comes in (or when I became aware of it).  It’s missing something for me.  No idea who this is.

Track 02 - I’m liking this one more.  Has that 80s tenor sound, but also has the feel of a survivor.  Not someone I’m overly familiar with, but I like this a lot.

Track 03 - Classical player.  This has none of what draws me to the saxophone.  Fine musicianship, just not my bag.

Track 04 - No idea.  I’ve got some of this in my collection, but not stuff I play a lot, and that’s sort of how it strikes me.  I like it, but don’t know how much I would play it.

Track 05 - Trippy opening.  Modern tenor.  It’s interesting instrumentation, but the overall feel misses for me.  I’ll get kicked for this, but sounds like too much time in the practice room and not enough time on the bandstand.  Be a good soundtrack for having friends over — better than pop radio, but wouldn’t require much of my attention.   Strikes me as the kind of music people would recommend to me if they hear I like Jazz.  But then, I’m a crusty old bastard.

Track 06 - I liked the melody and was enjoying (still am, actually), but realized a few minutes in that I wasn’t really listening.  Could be my mood/ear, but just didn’t seem to hold me.  A slight uptick when the piano solo started, but I wandered, again.

Track 07 - Weird crossover, but I like it.  Has that CTI drum sound.  Again, not sure it’d make my “listening” pile, but it’d be a good social choice.  Very late 70s/early 80s keys.  Oddly, tenor does nothing for me, but I like the rest of it.  

Track 08 - Love the song; not the version.  Lacks exactly the feel of the song (which is my rub with most of this ‘smooth’ stuff).  Hard pass.

Track 09 - Again, just doesn’t maintain my interest.  Not sure who it is, but I’m not feeling the vibe, at all.  I assume somebody like Dirty Dozen Brass Band, but I’m just not feeling it.  Far more commercial flavor than I can warm up to.

Track 10 - Prog rock meets Tom Scott.  I don’t really have an opinion on it.  It’s interesting, but don’t think it would find much time on the turntable.  A little heady for the social thing, though.   Type of thing that I’d enjoy when I’m doing something (working on something) because it charges me up, but not sure I’d just sit and listen.

Track 11 - Interesting.  I mean, I could type most of what I typed for the previous entry.  I like this more, but I’ m not sure it’d make the listening stack.  Reminds me a bit of some of Chris Klaxton’s band, but I find that more inline with my listening preference.  Nothing ‘wrong’ with this, just doesn’t hit me in the gut.

Track 12 - This one resonates better than the earlier brass band.  Reminds me of a soundtrack to the original Going In Style.  Not a musical style I gravitate towards, but this is well done.  

Track 13 - Reminds me of a band I saw last week.  Again, just kind of misses the mark for me.  I’m not hearing the “music” in this song.  Feels like aggressive shopping music to me.

Track 14 - Obiously St. James Infirmary, but no idea who by.  I kind of like it.  Has a trippy Doors/Gary Moore sort of feel to it.  It’s a little angry and I like that. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

20 hours ago, tkeith said:

Got to this one while working on some stuff, today.  Wasn't much inline with my typical listening, but that's a healthy exercise.  I'm definitely getting shut out on this one.  :D

Track 01 - I want to like it more than I do.  Has elements of a Mal Waldron feel, but I find the main them kind of cutesy.  It’s not good or bad, just can’t tell if it’s serious.  I appreciate when the bass comes in (or when I became aware of it).  It’s missing something for me.  No idea who this is. [Probably the only time this pianist has ever been called cutesy. Twisted or demonic would be a more commonly applied description.]

Track 02 - I’m liking this one more.  Has that 80s tenor sound, but also has the feel of a survivor.  Not someone I’m overly familiar with, but I like this a lot. [Unfortunately there is little on record.]

Track 03 - Classical player.  This has none of what draws me to the saxophone.  Fine musicianship, just not my bag. [The saxophonist is definitely a jazz player, not a classical player, though it could be that this particular piece is entirely composed by the pianist, who is primarily an early jazz repertory player.]

Track 04 - No idea.  I’ve got some of this in my collection, but not stuff I play a lot, and that’s sort of how it strikes me.  I like it, but don’t know how much I would play it. [You have some of this? You are speaking generally of solo acoustic guitar records? This is an African guitarist playing West African kora music on guitar. I've never heard anyone else do that.]

Track 05 - Trippy opening.  Modern tenor.  It’s interesting instrumentation, but the overall feel misses for me.  I’ll get kicked for this, but sounds like too much time in the practice room and not enough time on the bandstand.  Be a good soundtrack for having friends over — better than pop radio, but wouldn’t require much of my attention.   Strikes me as the kind of music people would recommend to me if they hear I like Jazz.  But then, I’m a crusty old bastard. [Isn't that an organissimo forum membership requirement?]

Track 06 - I liked the melody and was enjoying (still am, actually), but realized a few minutes in that I wasn’t really listening.  Could be my mood/ear, but just didn’t seem to hold me.  A slight uptick when the piano solo started, but I wandered, again.

Track 07 - Weird crossover, but I like it.  Has that CTI drum sound.  Again, not sure it’d make my “listening” pile, but it’d be a good social choice.  Very late 70s/early 80s keys.  Oddly, tenor does nothing for me, but I like the rest of it.  [This is not from the 70s/80s. It is contemporary jazz/Indian classical fusion music. The saxophonist was the least interesting to me as well.]

Track 08 - Love the song; not the version.  Lacks exactly the feel of the song (which is my rub with most of this ‘smooth’ stuff).  Hard pass. [This is not smooth jazz. I hate smooth jazz. The alto saxophonist is an inside/outside player, perhaps not evident from this song so much.]

Track 09 - Again, just doesn’t maintain my interest.  Not sure who it is, but I’m not feeling the vibe, at all.  I assume somebody like Dirty Dozen Brass Band, but I’m just not feeling it.  Far more commercial flavor than I can warm up to. [Assuredly this massive ensemble (25 plus musicians on this occasion) is not the Dirty Dozen Brass Band and is one of the least commercial bands I've ever seen.]

Track 10 - Prog rock meets Tom Scott.  I don’t really have an opinion on it.  It’s interesting, but don’t think it would find much time on the turntable.  A little heady for the social thing, though.   Type of thing that I’d enjoy when I’m doing something (working on something) because it charges me up, but not sure I’d just sit and listen. [Alto player is definitely not Tom Scott.]

Track 11 - Interesting.  I mean, I could type most of what I typed for the previous entry.  I like this more, but I’ m not sure it’d make the listening stack.  Reminds me a bit of some of Chris Klaxton’s band, but I find that more inline with my listening preference.  Nothing ‘wrong’ with this, just doesn’t hit me in the gut.

Track 12 - This one resonates better than the earlier brass band.  Reminds me of a soundtrack to the original Going In Style.  Not a musical style I gravitate towards, but this is well done. [Track 9 band has a lot of brass but is not a Brass Band.

Track 13 - Reminds me of a band I saw last week.  Again, just kind of misses the mark for me.  I’m not hearing the “music” in this song.  Feels like aggressive shopping music to me. [My kind of shopping music.]

Track 14 - Obiously St. James Infirmary, but no idea who by.  I kind of like it.  Has a trippy Doors/Gary Moore sort of feel to it.  It’s a little angry and I like that. 

Thanks for the attention and the comments!

Edited by kh1958

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is truly a memorable, excellent Blindfold Test. I have listened to it many times. I cannot begin to identify anything or anyone, but then I am not that good at it. It strikes me that some of the music must be quite recently recorded, which is great because we don't get enough newer music on the Blindfold Tests (in my opinion). I can't wait for the Reveal, and I am going to go out and buy some of these albums. Thank you for this most enjoyable collection of music.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah I am very curiois too! Couldnt guess even one song but very interesting choices!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.