HutchFan

Playing Favorites: Reflections on Jazz in the 1970s

632 posts in this topic

58 minutes ago, HutchFan said:

Weekly Recap - PLAYING FAVORITES: Reflections on Jazz in the 1970s 

Mickey Tucker – Mister Mysterious (Muse, 1979)
Jay McShann – Kansas City Hustle (Sackville, 1978)
Pepper Adams – Reflectory (Muse, 1978)
Archie Shepp & Dollar Brand [Abdullah Ibrahim] – Duet (Denon, 1978)
Bennie Wallace – Live at the Public Theater (Enja/Inner City, 1978)
Bob Brookmeyer – Back Again (Sonet/Gazell, 1979)
New York Jazz Quartet – Blues for Sarka (Enja/Inner City, 1978)

I love this week's selections.  Every one of them. 

George Mraz is a hero this week, as he appears on no less than three of these albums.  I've said it before: No one makes a more lovely sound on the bass than George Mraz.  His bass sings! 

To anyone reading this post who's never heard Mickey Tucker's Mister Mysterious:  Go to my blog pronto!  I've embedded a YT link, so you can hear the entire LP.  Frank Foster!  Pepper Adams!  Cecil McBee!  Eddie Gladden!  And Mickey Tucker's superb compositions.  ... You can thank me later.  ;) 

Yes George Mraz is a marvelous bass player. He is certainly one of my very favorites on his instrument.I have seen him live a number of times and he continually impresses me. Not flashy or trying to turn the bass into a guitar. He lays down a solid bass line choosing perfect notes. His solos are highly interesting.

Many good ones on this list. If forced to pick my top choice, it would be- Pepper Adams : Reflectory. 

17 hours ago, JSngry said:

Mess? 

IMO, YMMV

Blythe, Arthur - Basic Blythe - Amazon.com Music

ARTHUR BLYTHE, PUT SUNSHINE IN IT - LP FC 39411 | eBay

Like 'em both, although for totally different reasons. And the latter is not the greatest record ever, if you know what I mean.

3 hours ago, Rabshakeh said:

Was there some sort of air of mystique then, such that you would have purchased a Blue Note record if you saw it?

Or was the Blue Note of the 60s just seen as a just another label until the reissues got underway in the 80s (noting the fact that Blue Note had a life of its own in the 70s)? 

There was already a mystique here in my world (Philly) by the time I started with jazz in the early 70's.  I knew to grab any 50's/60's Blue Note out of a cutout or cheap used bin, if I knew the artist or not.   I had some good guys in record stores (not just Third Street Jazz, but also Franklin Records in Plymouth Meeting Mall) who trained me well.

7 minutes ago, Peter Friedman said:

Yes George Mraz is a marvelous bass player. He is certainly one of my very favorites on his instrument.I have seen him live a number of times and he continually impresses me. Not flashy or trying to turn the bass into a guitar. He lays down a solid bass line choosing perfect notes. His solos are highly interesting.

Agree 100%.  ...  Jimmy Rowles called Mraz "Bounce" because he's a Bad Czech;) 

7 minutes ago, Peter Friedman said:

If forced to pick my top choice, it would be- Pepper Adams : Reflectory

It's a superb record. :tup 

Edited by HutchFan

6 minutes ago, HutchFan said:

Jimmy Rowles called Mraz "Bounce" because he's a Bad Czech;) 

Interesting! The British satirical magazine Private Eye always referred to newspaper proprietor Robert Maxwell as "the Bouncing Czech". Maxwell, of Czech origin, was later revealed to have been raiding his employees' pension fund to prop up his failing business. His daughter Ghislaine isn't making too good a name for herself nowadays, either.^_^

2 minutes ago, BillF said:

Interesting! The British satirical magazine Private Eye always referred to newspaper proprietor Robert Maxwell as "the Bouncing Czech". Maxwell, of Czech origin, was later revealed to have been raiding his employees' pension fund to prop up his failing business. His daughter Ghislaine isn't making too good a name for herself nowadays, either.^_^

Yikes. I had no idea. 

I guess the daughter is carrying on a family tradition, eh?  (And not a bad one.  Just a bad one.)