Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ghost of miles

Jazz Magazine (1976-80?)

13 posts in this topic

A few years ago my predecessor passed on several issues of this late 1970s magazine, edited by Peter Keepnews and counting a fair number of notable writers (Dan Morgenstern, for starters) among its contributors. I pulled out the winter 1979 issue a few days ago for an article about Manfred Eicher and ECM... seems to have been a high-quality journal. Any posters here ever read it back in the day?

detail_3142970_v4n1.jpg

Edited by ghost of miles

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I subscribed from the beginning. The only issue I don't still have is the last one. It was a really good magazine, imo. With your historical bent, you would be rewarded by finding and then reading the entire run, cover-to-cover.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, a good one. Tom Stites, its editor, later on was a colleague of mine at the Chicago Tribune.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, JSngry said:

I subscribed from the beginning. The only issue I don't still have is the last one. It was a really good magazine, imo. With your historical bent, you would be rewarded by finding and then reading the entire run, cover-to-cover.

You’ve read my mind, sir. I think I have four issues in all that I inherited from Joe, so will be on a search to pick up more. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Larry Kart said:

Yes, a good one. Tom Stites, its editor, later on was a colleague of mine at the Chicago Tribune.

What did Tom do at the Tribune?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He was an editor in the features department. I said he was a colleague, but actually our paths didn't cross that much, though I knew who he was. I was a writer -- a so-called entertainment critic -- and I think his job was deciding or helping to decide what stories the features section would feature down the road, so to speak. The Trib had a top notch features section for a good while.

Mark, do you know what Tom has been up to in recent years?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I remember subscribing to it back in the day and having it fold shortly thereafter.  I think I got one issue from the subscription.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Larry Kart said:

He was an editor in the features department. I said he was a colleague, but actually our paths didn't cross that much, though I knew who he was. I was a writer -- a so-called entertainment critic -- and I think his job was deciding or helping to decide what stories the features section would feature down the road, so to speak. The Trib had a top notch features section for a good while.

Mark, do you know what Tom has been up to in recent years?

To be clear, I've never met Tom. Your reference above was the first time I heard his name. Presumably this is what he's been up to recently: https://banyanproject.coop/biography/tom-stites/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I shared a photo of the magazine’s masthead on Tom Piazza’s Facebook page (he was an associate editor) prompting some replies from others, including one from Tom Stites himself:

“Remember that you read it here first, before the official announcement in December:  Jazz Magazine, in its entirety, will soon be available digitally for perusal in libraries all over the world.  Stay tuned!”

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It is possible that I wanted to subscribe it in 1980 but got an answer something "they are making changes" ?  I think one of the last editions was one with Sonny Rollins on the cover. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That was the last one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think after that I got a letter from them telling something like they want to continue but have to make some decisions and have to develope some stragegies for doing that and bla bla bla, anyway it didn´t help. I waited some month to see if I can subscribe it, and nothing happened. Eventually I subscribed for Down Beat, which I enjoyed very much.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.