Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
T.D.

Mike Westbrook

16 posts in this topic

Recently heard my first Westbrook recordings, On Duke's Birthday and Westbrook-Rossini. Greatly enjoyed them and would like to explore more.

Looking for recommendations, preferably of releases with some chance of US availability. Thanks. Didn't see many prior threads on MW.

T.D.,

My favorite Mike Westbrook recordings -- along with the two that you mention above -- are both from the early 70s:  Metropolis and Citadel/Room 315.

Metropolis is readily available on CD in the U.S.  BGO has reissued it. 

Citadel isn't so easy to find, but I would definitely recommend searching for it.   It's worth it!

Just to whet your appetite, here it is on YT:

Posted (edited)

Thanks! I'd already seen good reports on Metropolis.

The studio recording of Citadel/Room 315 is indeed hard to find, but a recent release of an earlier live recording is available and looks promising:

R-14875230-1583259527-6871.jpeg.jpg

Edited by T.D.

That's a lot better than "promising". If it is easily available to you, grab it

Although the Swedish performance of ‘Citadel’ is good, I’m not a great fan of the sound, which is a bit on the thin side. Prefer the studio version - the BGO issue is worth searching for.

4 hours ago, sidewinder said:

Although the Swedish performance of ‘Citadel’ is good, I’m not a great fan of the sound, which is a bit on the thin side. Prefer the studio version - the BGO issue is worth searching for.

Have you heard the new reissue? I’m hoping the sound is at least ok...

Posted (edited)

8 minutes ago, David Ayers said:

Have you heard the new reissue? I’m hoping the sound is at least ok...

Yes, I have the Swedish recording on vinyl. It’s fine but my personal preference is the original studio version in the BGO CD reissue. I prefer the latter to my RCA LP version.

Music-wise all are excellent. I think Surman plays better on the studio version. In fact, it is one of his best performances IMO.

Even 10 years ago the BGO was hard to find. I chanced on a good second hand copy in a shop and even then it wasn’t cheap.

Mike W.’s current Orchestra has been featuring numbers from this title in concerts over the past few years. 

Edited by sidewinder

5 minutes ago, sidewinder said:

Yes, I have the Swedish recording on vinyl. It’s fine but my personal preference is the original studio version in the BGO CD reissue. I prefer the latter to my RCA LP version.

Music-wise all are excellent. I think Surman sounds better on the studio version.

Even 10 years ago the BGO was hard to find. I chanced on a good second hand copy in a shop and even then it wasn’t cheap.

Cool. I’ve ordered the CD so fingers crossed. 

Posted (edited)

2 minutes ago, David Ayers said:

Cool. I’ve ordered the CD so fingers crossed. 

BGO or the recent recording?

Both very good really so you won’t be disappointed either way.

Edited by sidewinder

2 minutes ago, sidewinder said:

BGO or the recent recording?

Both very good really so you won’t be disappointed either way.

The recent one. Sampled and ordered via Bandcamp. 

Posted (edited)

15 hours ago, T.D. said:

Recently heard my first Westbrook recordings, On Duke's Birthday and Westbrook-Rossini. Greatly enjoyed them and would like to explore more.

Looking for recommendations, preferably of releases with some chance of US availability. Thanks. Didn't see many prior threads on MW.

Both of those are excellent too. Mike’s site was offering the Hat CD of Rossini (Swiss radio version I think) a while ago for £5, which was a bargain. Both the live version of the Rossini and the radio version are great.

I have ‘On Duke’s Birthday’ on a 2LP set and that is very good too.

Calling resident Westbrook experts Chris-T and Jazzscriven for further pointers....:)

6 minutes ago, David Ayers said:

The recent one. Sampled and ordered via Bandcamp. 

Good move !

This recent archival 2CD release also captures some fine performances in excellent sound and with a good cross-section of his and Kate’s work, including stuff from ‘Citadel’.

mike-westbrook-orchestra-catania.jpg

Edited by sidewinder

Thanks!

Any opinions on this one (or earlier releases of same)? Early (c. 1969), but appears to be something I'd like.

R-10364575-1498254930-7716.jpeg.jpg

Posted (edited)

13 minutes ago, T.D. said:

Thanks!

Any opinions on this one (or earlier releases of same)? Early (c. 1969), but appears to be something I'd like.

R-10364575-1498254930-7716.jpeg.jpg

A classic of its kind ! Excellent Turtle Records release of the Deram LPs, in good sound. Plus additional tracks !

Edited by sidewinder

16 minutes ago, sidewinder said:

A classic of its kind ! Excellent Turtle Records release of the Deram LPs, in good sound. Plus additional tracks !

+1 👍🏼

Thanks everyone. I went for Metropolis, the Swedish Citadel and the Turtle Marching Song + reissue. All in stock from US vendor.

Posted (edited)

Lots of great music in that selection. Enjoy them.

I'm listening to the RCA LP of Citadel now having just listened to the Swedish version and ordered a reissue of Metropolis, all because of your original post so thank you!

Edited by mjazzg