Is There a Benny Goodman Equivalent to Duke at Fargo?

DMP

I assume the conclusion of your question was "other than the Carnegie Hall concert?" ;)  The above boxed set is terrific.  I stumbled across one back in the 1990's and consider myself lucky to have found it.  They are radio broadcasts, so there will be a number of vocals and a number of forgettable pop tunes of the day and sometimes the two are one and the same, but the Liltin' Miss Tilton is generally always pleasant company.  This set gives you a nice selection of both big band and small group sides. 

Columbia put out a collection of radio broadcast odds and ends -- no complete broadcasts included.  It's called On The Air (1937 - 1938).  I think this version of "Roll 'Em", from this 2 CD set, presents the band in good form, plus it gives you an idea of the audio quality.  Most of the selections are listenable, but it is not pristine audio.

7 hours ago, duaneiac said:

I assume the conclusion of your question was "other than the Carnegie Hall concert?" ;)  The above boxed set is terrific.  I stumbled across one back in the 1990's and consider myself lucky to have found it.  They are radio broadcasts, so there will be a number of vocals and a number of forgettable pop tunes of the day and sometimes the two are one and the same, but the Liltin' Miss Tilton is generally always pleasant company.  This set gives you a nice selection of both big band and small group sides. 

Columbia put out a collection of radio broadcast odds and ends -- no complete broadcasts included.  It's called On The Air (1937 - 1938).  I think this version of "Roll 'Em", from this 2 CD set, presents the band in good form, plus it gives you an idea of the audio quality.  Most of the selections are listenable, but it is not pristine audio.

Is that the one from the Savory collection?   IIRC they used recordings he supplied when they wanted a "sequel" to the Carnegie Hall set. Are the Manhattan Room discs from Savory?  And are they a licensed release? 

Edited by medjuck