What music did you buy today?

tonym

I've been fairly restrained these last few months, other than getting the 2-CD Joe Newman on RCA set.

Today I dropped by DG and picked up a used copy of Elvin Jones' Youngblood, a cut-out of Taft Jordan's Mood Indigo and Barney Kessel's Feeling Free (Contemporary). I don't think I've ever heard of Feeling Free, but it looks fascinating with Kessel joined by Bobby Hutcherson and Elvin Jones. Looking forward to hearing it later today.

• Replies 9.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I bought a few LPs in Goodwill today @ $1 per.

The Big Small Bands - Dave Pell Capitol records

Billy May - Today (60's hits arranged for big band) Capitol records

Morton Gould - More Jungle Drums (Rca Victor)

Happy Jazz: The first 10 years (double LP focusing on the first ten years of the Jim Cullum band in San Antonio) Audiophile records/san antonio

The Metronome All-Stars (RCA Camden) - various artists/sessions

Perez Prado - Other Latin Favorites (Spinorama)

Neil Hefti - Hefti In Gotham City (RCA Victor)

Keep your eyes on the Hands - comedy Hula Album

recorded in Hawaii (Waikiki records)

The Left Bank Bearcats - In Stereo (is this a pseudonym band, not French players as stated on the jacket? I have read stories to

that effect. Somerset records

Joe Ely - debut LP from 1977 on MCA

Vince Guaraldi/Conte Candoli Quartet - Premier Records

(w/ Stan Levy and Monte Budwig)

Edited by slide_advantage_redoux

Dozens of Japanese CDs appeared at my favorite store, all at very reasonable prices.

Among the ones I purchased:

- Steve Kuhn 'Sing Me Softly of the Blues' (Venus)

- Steve Kuhn 'Love Walked In' (Venus)

- Michel Sarbady 'Five Cats' Blues'

- Warne Marsh 'Warne Out + 5' (Interplay)

51DSIewg9-L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Charles Mingus The Complete Bremen Concert

41287D5N8AL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Donald Byrd Groovin' For Nat

300x300.jpg

Alexander Rahbari And The Belgian Radio and Television Philharmonic Orchestra

Bartok: Concerto for Orchestra / Music for Strings, Percussion and Celesta

41oM-oKZWzL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Jason Moran TEN

Edited by save

Made a visit to Sally's Place in Westport, Ct. & picked up a number of things, including:

Borah Bergman/Roscoe Mitchell with Thomas Buckner: First Meeting (Knitting Factory Works)

Muhal Richard Abrams: Vision Towards Essence (Pi)

Saw First Meeting there almost a year ago, but passed on it. When I went there today, it was still there. Good news for me, but the fact that it sat there for a year is depressing.

Over the past week or so:

Kid Thomas Band With Raymond Burke

King Olver -- "Call of the Freaks, Complete Victor Recordings, Vol.1"

George Lewis & Alton Purnell -- "The Perennial George Lews," "Oh Didn't He Ramble," "Funky Piano New Orleans Style" (3-fer)

George Lewis -- "Ice Cream"

Curtis Mosby / Henry Starr -- "1924 - 1939"

Albert Nicholas, Art Hodes -- "New Orleans-Chicago Connection"

51msk49oJGL._SL500_AA300_.jpg51Dg68msGbL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

512ITbPWehL._SL500_AA300_.jpg51H0PV7B8JL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

31XYBWGPXFL._SL160_AA115_.jpg21S6BXJ1QWL._SY100_.jpg

Halfway House Orchestra -- "Complete Recordings: Recorded In New Orleans, 1925-1928"

Oscar 'Papa' Celestin and his Original Tuxedo Jazz Band - 1949-1953

310GXB5M62L._SY100_.jpg

4629.jpg

Can't find your thread requesting early jazz recommendations, paps, so am adding this one here:

51F4PK24F8L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

I recall the first four tracks as sensational! They are "The Moon is Low", "The Sheik of Araby", B Flat Blues" and "Honeysuckle Rose" recorded in 1939 with John "Bugs" Hamilton, Gene Cedric, John Smith and Slick Jones. As electrifying small-group-with-vocals sides, they perhaps anticipate what Louis Jordan was to a few years later in such hits as "Caldonia", "Let the Good Times Roll", "School Days", etc. But I expect you already know/have those!

51Or0F30QoL._SL500_AA300_.jpg512BE1tAzPL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Edited by BillF

Can't find your thread requesting early jazz recommendations, paps, so am adding this one here:

51F4PK24F8L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

I recall the first four tracks as sensational! They are "The Moon is Low", "The Sheik of Araby", B Flat Blues" and "Honeysuckle Rose" recorded in 1939 with John "Bugs" Hamilton, Gene Cedric, John Smith and Slick Jones. As electrifying small-group-with-vocals sides, they perhaps anticipate what Louis Jordan was to a few years later in such hits as "Caldonia", "Let the Good Times Roll", "School Days", etc. But I expect you already know/have those!

The Waller Transcriptions looks terrific! Thanks Bill. :)

I'm far from home, in Bellingham, Washington, which is halfway between Seattle and Vancouver. I visited an independent CD store in town and was very impressed by their jazz section. Even after putting half of my original stack back, I walked out with these used CDs:

Archie Shepp - Steam (Enja)

Don Patterson - Boppin' & Burnin' (Prestige OJC) When I had fewer than ten jazz albums, Don Patterson played on one of them - a Verve Gene Ammons/Sonny Stitt.

Albert Ayler - At Slugs' Saloon (ESP)

Joe McPhee Po Music - Linear B (Hat Art)

Wadada Leo Smith's Golden Quartet - The Year of the Elephant (Pi)

Don Cherry - Live at Cafe Montmarte, Vol. 2 My favorite Atlanta CD store always has Vol. 1 & 3, but I've never seen Vol. 2.

Coleman Hawkins - Big Band 1940 (Jazz Anthology)

David Newman - Captain Buckles (Label M) Recommended by The Magnificent Goldberg.

Several of these have been on my want list for some time, so this was a fun afternoon.