Upcoming Ellington on Compact Disc

bebopbob

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, Blues in Orbit will contain two takes of Track 360, and Sentimental Lady and Brown Penny (one track each) which were NOT on the original album, PLUS alternate takes of Pie Eye's Blues,

Sweet and Pungent, The Swinger's Jump, and Blues in Orbit!

Also to be released (but I haven't seen a date) are expanded versions of Piano in the Foreground and Piano in the Background.

Yes, my Tower buyer also says that he talked with his Sony rep about the Pianos and Blues in Orbit and there was no release date he could divulge.  BUT advance copies were coughed up!

Damn you and your connections, Lon! ;) That's great news about the extra cuts on Blues in Orbit. I'll be looking forward to that one. Sorry I blew up. :)

Tell DL at Tower I said hi.

• 2 weeks later...

Just received an e-mail from Legacy Recordings announcing that the expanded editions of "Masterpieces", "Ellington uptown" and "Festival session" are due out on February 17.

FestivalSession_160.jpg

Festival Session

CK 87044

JAZZ MASTERPIECES

Duke's recorded tour of the summer jazz festivals

Includes 2 Previously Unissued Bonus Tracks, New liner notes by Duke's longtime publicist, Patricia Willard.

A brilliant, ebullient album!

24 BIT DIGITALLY REMASTERED

Recorded just after Labor Day 1959, following a highly successful run on the U.S. summer jazz festival circuit, Festival Session is one of the Duke Ellington Orchestra's most consistently invigorating albums. Ellington (1899-1974) mixes old and new, with the orchestra in peak form, whether the material is tried-and-true (e.g. "Perdido" and "Things Ain't What They Used," the former co-written by the Maestro's longtime star valve trombone soloist Juan Tizol, the latter composed entirely his Duke's son, Mercer) or of then-recent vintage Ellingtonia. "Copout," is a workout for Paul Gonsalves' booting tenor saxophone;" Duael," a collegial stereophonic battle between drummers Sam Woodyard and Jimmy Johnson;" "Idiom '59," a three-part suite spotlighting Russell Procope's and Jimmy Hamilton's clarinets and Clark Terry's flugelhorn; and "Launching Pad," which, like earlier "train tunes," evinces Ellington's interest in a form of travel -- in this case, outer space. The newly remastered set is completed by a pair of previously unreleased tracks, making this an additionally exciting Festival Session.

Masterpieces_160.jpg

Masterpieces by Ellington

CK 87043

JAZZ MASTERPIECES

One of Duke's absolute gems!

Includes 3 Bonus Tracks

New liner notes by Duke's longtime publicist, Patricia Willard.

The composer at his peak

Masterpieces by Ellington is among the most significant recordings in the vast discography of Duke Ellington (1899-1974). The four selections comprising the original album, recorded in December 1950, catapulted the Maestro into the LP era; the still-new 33-1/3 rpm format allowed this great composer/ arranger/ pianist and his matchless orchestra to take full advantage for the first time of the possibilities extended, high-fidelity performances. Ellington did not merely revisit three of his signature songs ("Mood Indigo" and "Sophisticated Lady," with evocative vocals by Yvonne Lanauze, as well as "Solitude"), he modernized their arrangements in a concert vein. "Masterpieces" was also notable for the debut of the full-bodied, surprise-laden "The Tattooed Bride," and for the swansongs of three Ellingtonian giants of longstanding: drummer Sonny Greer, trombonist Lawrence Brown, and alto saxist Johnny Hodges. (The latter two would eventually return to the fold.) Newly remastered, and containing three bonus tracks from 1950-51, Masterpieces is a revelation

Ellington-Uptown_160.jpg

Ellington Uptown

CK 87066

JAZZ MASTERPIECES

Duke presents extended renditions of his classics

Includes 6 Bonus Tracks

New liner notes by Duke's longtime publicist, Patricia Willard.

Contains 2 stunning suites by Duke

Recorded in December 1951 and 1952, Ellington Uptown joins stunning, extended works of recent vintage ("A Tone Parallel to Harlem", "The Liberian Suite," "The Controversial Suite") with fresh looks at such bona fide classics by Ellington and alter ego Billy Strayhorn ("The Mooche," "Take the 'A' Train)," as well as "Perdido," co-written by longtime star valve trombone soloist Juan Tizol. Ellington (1899-1974) was justly acclaimed for his portraits of various principal players; "Harlem" is a portrait-in-sound of daily life in the world's most famous African-American community. Vocalists also take star turns herein, with Betty Roche's jauntily bopping rendition of "'A' Train," and Al Hibbler's moving "I Like The Sunrise," the first movement of "The Liberian Suite." And there's Louie Bellson establishing himself as the dean of double bass drums on his "Skin Deep." Now expanded by six bonus cuts, and remastered to enhance the album's already spectacular sound, Uptown is a high water mark in the annals of Elingtonia.

Edited by EKE BBB

Next three Columbia Ellington titles are due out on 7/13:

Duke Ellington - Blues In Orbit (Columbia/Legacy) July 13

-- recorded in 1958-59; with eight bonus tracks

Duke Ellington - Piano in the Foreground (Columbia/Legacy) July 13

-- 1961 trio session with Aaron Bell on bass & Sam Woodyard on drums

-- plus 1957 bonus trio session from 1957 with Jimmy Woode on bass & Woodyward (six tracks) & one bonus track from '61 session

Duke Ellington - Piano in the Background (Columbia/Legacy) July 13

-- from 1961; with five bonus tracks, including a previously unissued version of "Harlem Air Shaft" from 1961

-- all three discs will include new liner notes by Patricia Willard

jazzmatazz.home.att.net/releases/

Edited by alankin

Good news that the first three are due out soon (okay, not good news for the wallet!) and that the covers chosen for Masterpieces and Uptown are the ones that they are!

... and that there´s a release date for the last three. I´m eagerly waiting for "Blues in orbit" !!!

• 3 weeks later...

Next three Columbia Ellington titles are due out on 7/13:

Duke Ellington - Blues In Orbit (Columbia/Legacy) July 13

-- recorded in 1958-59; with eight bonus tracks

Duke Ellington - Piano in the Foreground (Columbia/Legacy) July 13

-- 1961 trio session with Aaron Bell on bass & Sam Woodyard on drums

-- plus 1957 bonus trio session from 1957 with Jimmy Woode on bass & Woodyward (six tracks) & one bonus track from '61 session

Duke Ellington - Piano in the Background (Columbia/Legacy) July 13

-- from 1961; with five bonus tracks, including a previously unissued version of "Harlem Air Shaft" from 1961

-- all three discs will include new liner notes by Patricia Willard

jazzmatazz.home.att.net/releases/

Cool!

And just a couple of days till the first batch hits the stores.

I've reserved Masterpieces and Uptown at my local Borders. I bought the newest Basie disc there last week and they gave me a 10% off coupon on future purchases, plus another 15% if I answered some questions on the phone about their store, etc., so that's 25% off I'm going to be getting later this week.

I've reserved Masterpieces and Uptown at my local Borders. I bought the newest Basie disc there last week and they gave me a 10% off coupon on future purchases, plus another 15% if I answered some questions on the phone about their store, etc., so that's 25% off I'm going to be getting later this week.

What was the Basie disc? I missed that one, I think...