Upcoming Ellington on Compact Disc

bebopbob

Wonderful to have them - only one complaint.

While I appreciate the vintage label reproductions used on the CDs themselves, they need to use the correct ones for the period.

"6 Eye" Stereo labels on early and mid-fifties releases are not correct. They match the "Festival Session" CS series fine, but the earlier releases are not stereo and that kind of spoils the illusion.

No complaint with the music though, but SONY needs to pay a little more attention to details - collectors do!

My MASTERPIECES Lp is a green label Columbia Masterworks. That's what I'd like to have seen them use!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm a little surprised that they didn't package The Liberian Suite with "Masterpieces" and add the 3 bonus tracks from Masterpieces to "Uptown". That would make more chronological sense. On the other hand this sure makes "Uptown" a bargain (nearly 80 minutes of music).

They explained this in the CD credits: In one of its several incarnations the LP included the Liberian Suite.

This is due to their sticking to the Lp issues as reference point. I luckily have the French 6 LP box set covering everything except the Uptown and Masterpieces LPs, so I now have the complete 1947-1953 Ellington on Columbia. :g

Guess they could make the rest a nice Mosaic Select ...

The sound of these reissues is, as JSngry likes to say in-fuckin'-credible! Al Hibbler stands right there in my living room!

• 2 years later...

...Now I want A DRUM IS A WOMAN to become a cd!

Time passes and nothing happens... :angry:

Taken from another list:

Hi, the last word I'd heard was from Michael Cuscana, of Mosaic, who indicated that they are working on a release of "ADIAW", on that label. They are trying to see what can be done with the TV program soundtrack,to perhaps add it to the original recordings.I personaly feel that the transfer of the release from Sony to Mosaic is a good one. I guess we'll just have to be a little more patient.

When "The Cosmic Scene" was reissued as a Mosaic single, it was clear to me, that SONY had shut down the Legacy series for jazz reissues. I expect all future jazz reissues from the Columbia vaults on Mosaic, which is not a bad thing. I'd rather wait and get pristine sound and bonus tracks.

In fact, the last batch of Legacy CDs wasn't officially released in Germany .....

We should send our Columbia reissue wish lists to Mosaic.

Edited by mikeweil

I'm not sure it's that "clear." I don't read that much into Mosaics Singles. Unless we hear something from either of the labels I would expect to see Legacy cds of jazz. Maybe even including RCA, as they have been doing with rock and others (Nina Simone for one).

Well, I've got a Mobile Fidelity version that sounds great. . . . So I vote "No." :D

Now, a complete version of "Indigos" that had the mono and stereo versions of the tunes that differ? "Hell YEAH."

How about sticking to things the "domestic" company hasn't done yet - All American, Bal Masque, the Paris album, Girl's Suite, etc.

Edited by Chuck Nessa

I've only got the mono lp. And the Columbia stereo cd.

I'm not much of a vinyl spinner these days. And certainly not here in my "second home." :mellow:

Anyway, I'd love to see Bal Masque, Midnight in Paris, practically anything else not on cd in the US. I'd really like to see them do the remainder of the 1947-1952 material in some sort of a set. I have the French cds, but would think that domestic ones from the existing parts etc. would be better!

I'm with you . . . except. . . I'm a junkie for "Indigos". . . .It's one of a hundred or so discs that I want to have in a really good remastering. :)

Don't matter if you got the lps. :cool:

I think that the Lps don't contain all of the original session and have edited versions of some songs. (Not sure though and I'm several thousaand miles away from my reference materials.)

• 3 months later...

I just picked up Festival Session this weekend, and holy shit, it smokes.

I've been on a huge Ellington kick lately, and this one just blows me away.

Next up is the record with Mahalia Jackson--never heard it, and can't wait.

Much love for the Duke!

I'm listening to Festival Session right now and you'll enjoy this one, no doubt!

I've only got the mono lp. And the Columbia stereo cd.

I'm not much of a vinyl spinner these days. And certainly not here in my "second home." :mellow:

Anyway, I'd love to see Bal Masque, Midnight in Paris, practically anything else not on cd in the US. I'd really like to see them do the remainder of the 1947-1952 material in some sort of a set.

I very much agree!

(Second home?) :huh: