BFT #76

Guest Bill Barton

Guest Bill Barton

I'm putting this up a little early as I will be insanely busy the next few hours. Discussion can start June 21st.

If anyone who hasn't received the download link via PM wants to participate, here is the link:

http://up01.ayame.jp/up/download/1276650872.rar

I much prefer this Japanese file host as it's lightning fast. You'll notice that the link goes directly to the d/l with no webpage getting in the way.

mirror:

http://filesurf.ru/199006/BFT_76-Bill_Barton.rar.html

enter captcha code

click directly below captcha window with the Russian text for "download"

then click on link (riteabout now...)

Filesurf is VERY slow but quite reliable. This is up as a back-up only.

The WinRar archive holds eight tracks, rather lengthy ones as you might imagine.

International large (or in a couple of cases "large-ish") ensembles is the theme.

Have fun!

Edited by Bill Barton

Well, I've got to be the suck up and take a shot at this off the bat, only because I have some hectic scheduling coming up.

Bill, I liked the idea of your theme, and kudos for not going with any of the obvious choices for this thicker textured style. Here's my one-off listen responses; thanks for an interesting listen:

Track 1 - I like this right away. It's got a Kenton feel off the bat, but then establishes a new-ish feel. Man, that sounds like Matt Langley on tenor, but I can't imagine what he'd be on with a band this large. No idea on the bone, but I like it. Overall the band is very thick, not a swinging feel, but an interesting listen. Count me stumped.

Track 2 - I'm a sucker for the Latin feel. You had me at go. Could be one of David Holland's projects, it kind of has that feel. Some of the patterns the bone player is playing make me think Craig Harris, but he doesn't seem to have the overall body of Harris' tone. The bass solo is not as 70s funky (in the GOOD way) as I'd expect from Holland, so I'm moving a bit away from that idea. Tenor has the modern, post-Coltrane sound that I just can't warm up to. The type of thing Gary Thomas has going on. Flawless, but just doesn't grab me. Could be Potter (which has me going back to David Holland). Yeah, not feeling the tenor at all. The ensemble playing works well on the outchorus; the issue with the tenor doesn't bother me as much in there. Ah... okay... Eubanks. I wouldn't have gotten him. And I was right with Potter; I just don't hear this group of guys (Potter, Turner, Thomas, Binney, et al).

Track 3 - Bright muted trumpets and flute at the beginning. The tune is I Want To Talk About You by Billy Eckstine. Could be Billy Harper on tenor, though doesn't seem as sure footed in terms of his tone. The ideas are certainly Billy, but the sound seems weak. Given the setting and the standard, I would have to guess it's something with Gil Evans. Okay, no doubt about it, that's Billy Harper, but not as powerful as I'm used to hearing him. Could be Malachi Thompson's band, but this one seems tighter. Maybe one of Tolliver's newer big band projects.

Ah... okay, it's this. This is a band I absolutely MUST see. I love BH, and Charles is my all-time favorite trumpet player.

Track 4 - Liking this right off the bat. Bari player's tone doesn't excite me, but it reminds me a bit of a John Surman record I have. Two guys with their technique down. The harmony on this reminds me of those Elvin records in the late 60s/early 70s. Bari sounds more like Cuber to me, now. That tenor sounds a lot like Von Freeman in terms of the attack of the notes, but a bit more controlled.

Track 5 - Yup, liking this a lot, too. Those flutes remind me of Ron Carter's Uptown Conversation. With Stan Getz over the top? Is this that nutty record he did where Herb Alpert did the arrangements? I remember not liking that much, but I like this, in spite of the electric bass. Definitely Stan. A bit too much reverb in this recording. No idea where THAT came from, but that just works!

Track 6 - Don't know who these guys are. One of them likes Miles a LOT at the beginning. This almost has the feel of some of Bowie's Brass Fantasy stuff, but seems more technique-driven than that. Interesting. I really like the way the trumpets work off one another with the almost dirge-like drone of the band. I have a feeling I should know these trumpeters.

Track 7 - Ugh... can never get the names straight on Monk tunes. Monk's Mood? Pannonica? But I know Steve Lacy in a heartbeat. That's all I can give you, though. This is interesting, but I'm not sure if I'd listen to it a lot.

Track 8 - Love the piano intro. Could that be Ibrahim? I'm pretty sure I have this. Nay, I do NOT have this. The bone solo has some quotes reminiscent of Don Pullen's BIG ALICE. Not sure how I feel about the arrangement. I don't dislike it, but I have been tuning in and out to it.

Guest Bill Barton

Well, I've got to be the suck up and take a shot at this off the bat, only because I have some hectic scheduling coming up.

Bill, I liked the idea of your theme, and kudos for not going with any of the obvious choices for this thicker textured style. Here's my one-off listen responses; thanks for an interesting listen:

Track 1 - I like this right away. It's got a Kenton feel off the bat, but then establishes a new-ish feel. Man, that sounds like Matt Langley on tenor, but I can't imagine what he'd be on with a band this large. No idea on the bone, but I like it. Overall the band is very thick, not a swinging feel, but an interesting listen. Count me stumped.

This is probably the "edgiest" track on the CD regarding what you said about not a swinging feel. There's something about this composition that grabs me. Too early in the game for hints...

Track 2 - I'm a sucker for the Latin feel. You had me at go. Could be one of David Holland's projects, it kind of has that feel. Some of the patterns the bone player is playing make me think Craig Harris, but he doesn't seem to have the overall body of Harris' tone. The bass solo is not as 70s funky (in the GOOD way) as I'd expect from Holland, so I'm moving a bit away from that idea. Tenor has the modern, post-Coltrane sound that I just can't warm up to. The type of thing Gary Thomas has going on. Flawless, but just doesn't grab me. Could be Potter (which has me going back to David Holland). Yeah, not feeling the tenor at all. The ensemble playing works well on the outchorus; the issue with the tenor doesn't bother me as much in there. Ah... okay... Eubanks. I wouldn't have gotten him. And I was right with Potter; I just don't hear this group of guys (Potter, Turner, Thomas, Binney, et al).

You got it. It's Holland. I figured that somebody would identify this group, but thought the Latin feel to the tune might throw some off. Guess not. :rofl:

Track 3 - Bright muted trumpets and flute at the beginning. The tune is I Want To Talk About You by Billy Eckstine. Could be Billy Harper on tenor, though doesn't seem as sure footed in terms of his tone. The ideas are certainly Billy, but the sound seems weak. Given the setting and the standard, I would have to guess it's something with Gil Evans. Okay, no doubt about it, that's Billy Harper, but not as powerful as I'm used to hearing him. Could be Malachi Thompson's band, but this one seems tighter. Maybe one of Tolliver's newer big band projects.

Ah... okay, it's this. This is a band I absolutely MUST see. I love BH, and Charles is my all-time favorite trumpet player.

And he scores! Again, not a terribly obscure track. I like Harper's solo better than you do by the sound.

Track 4 - Liking this right off the bat. Bari player's tone doesn't excite me, but it reminds me a bit of a John Surman record I have. Two guys with their technique down. The harmony on this reminds me of those Elvin records in the late 60s/early 70s. Bari sounds more like Cuber to me, now. That tenor sounds a lot like Von Freeman in terms of the attack of the notes, but a bit more controlled.

Yeah, I hear the Vonski influence too.

Track 5 - Yup, liking this a lot, too. Those flutes remind me of Ron Carter's Uptown Conversation. With Stan Getz over the top? Is this that nutty record he did where Herb Alpert did the arrangements? I remember not liking that much, but I like this, in spite of the electric bass. Definitely Stan. A bit too much reverb in this recording. No idea where THAT came from, but that just works!

You're absolutely correct that it's Getz. The big band is well-known but this is probably their most obscure recording. Not the record with Alpert.

Track 6 - Don't know who these guys are. One of them likes Miles a LOT at the beginning. This almost has the feel of some of Bowie's Brass Fantasy stuff, but seems more technique-driven than that. Interesting. I really like the way the trumpets work off one another with the almost dirge-like drone of the band. I have a feeling I should know these trumpeters.

Well, depends on how active you are listening to recent stuff whether you should know the trumpeters.

Track 7 - Ugh... can never get the names straight on Monk tunes. Monk's Mood? Pannonica? But I know Steve Lacy in a heartbeat. That's all I can give you, though. This is interesting, but I'm not sure if I'd listen to it a lot.

I know what you mean about Monk tunes! Same here... Yes, Lacy is probably immediately spotted by many folks, the band is another matter.

Track 8 - Love the piano intro. Could that be Ibrahim? I'm pretty sure I have this. Nay, I do NOT have this. The bone solo has some quotes reminiscent of Don Pullen's BIG ALICE. Not sure how I feel about the arrangement. I don't dislike it, but I have been tuning in and out to it.

Yes, it's Abdullah. This composition is one of my favorite Ibrahim pieces and this arrangement for big band knocks me out. The chorale type part at the end practically brings tears to my eyes (as lots of his music does).

Edited by Bill Barton

Guest Bill Barton

Bill, totally by accident I think I may have uncovered the answer to the Lacy session. Is that Anthony Brown's band?

Yes, it is. How about the other solo instrument?

feeling a mite feverish for some reason....what better time to make objective judgments?

The usuals, etc. here we go:

TRACK ONE - Effects, yes. Arrangement? More like backgrounds in search of an arrangement. Soloists are predictably (and almost boringly) virtuosic. In its own way, Kenton-ish, you know, the whole NEW!!! thing that really ain't, but ssshhhhh - don't tell them, they're having a good time thinking that it is. I will say this, though - any/all of those effects are written & played gorgeously, which is why in the end I'm pissed of that all they end up being is effects instead of part of a really nicely written chart. Maybe this is atypical of this writer/band?

TRACK TWO - Nice enough tune, kinda Woody Shaw-ish, scored & played well. Trombone player is really pissing me off. LEAVE SOME SPACE, BITCH!!! Damn, I hate motherfuckers who just blahblahblahblah, no space, no nuance, just on and on and on and on. They're a good player, but not so good a musician, at least on this solo. SHUT UP, ALREADY. Bass player is really solid, gots that FAT sound, yeah. After all, it IS a bass...and I'm liking the drummer too. WHOA! Who's this tenor player? His basic "style" is not one for which I ordinarily care, but DAMN, the cat's really, really playing some music in there, so style be damned. AQll inall, kill the trombone player & you got a pretty nice cut. I think I could dance to it, even, so hey! OH! It's a Dave Holland group. Robin Eubanks & Chris Potter. Eubanks has been playing well enough and long enough not to do that shit, c'mon...

TRACK THREE - Now, this is Kenton-ish! And that is Billy Harper...Tolliver's band, right? I mean, ok, I love Billy Harper, and I love Tolliver, but this is kinda gimmicky, imo. It's a "big band" gimmick, sure, bringing your tenor player down front for a feature paying tribute to one of the alltimegreatones, but hell, Billy Harper is a great one all hisownself, and I know he loves Trane, we all love Trane, but....c'mon, ya' know? Then again, it's a tough market today's one is, so I guess you give 'em any place to hang their hats that you can find. But it's ok, I guess.

TRACK FOUR - Like that opening duet, nice. Then the chart, and...it doesn't really swing, sounds old/tired/something. Nice writing, though, really nice. Not much in the way of melody, but the scoring is cool. And this bari player, who is this? He/she got some spunk now! Tenor player reminds me in a way of George Garzone, which ain't a bad thing at all. And then it's over, and really, couldn't a small band have made just as much music, and possibly better?

TRACK FIVE - Getz w/Clarke-Boland. Great record. Boland's last project, right? He damn sure went for it, eh? But you know why this works? Balance - it's not all just "reaching", you throw some Getz/melody/smooth in there and both extremes throw the other into relief so you can appreciate them. That's something I wish more people would think about - balancing of elements. Hell, just balance in general.

TRACK SIX - I liked it at first, the blend in the saxes was eerie, almost, and the trumpet duet started nice but then got kinda cliche-y. Then the composition proper...I started not liking it, mainly becasue it sounded too derived from Migus (Black Saint, in particular), but then...yeah, they held their ground & I started to believe. Then it began to dissipate, but...not too much. all in all, a noice enough piece of music, and if this is somebody young, I would want to follow their development. There's a voice in the making here, possibly.

TRACK SEVEN - Lacy, obviously, "Pannonica", but damned if I hear an international large (or in a couple of cases "large-ish") ensemble anywhere in the mix. Oh well! Lacy was an ensemble unto himself. Damn....he is so inside the music here (always, really)..from here you can only do different, not better.

TRACK EIGHT - Abdullah? Ibrahim? or Weston? Randy? A Plunger Extravaganza? Either way, there's better to be had, but this is far from "disposable" either. Is that a trombone or a French horn? Plenty mellow, the whole thing is. Oddly enough, the writing reminded me of Pat Williams in spots (meant as a compliment). Not sure why it ends that way, but...it does!

Some interesting music here, Bill. Thanks!

1. This is an adventurous big band performance. The tenor sax solo and the band’s support during that solo were very interesting. My attention wandered a bit during the bass solo, but that is more than likely a reflection of my own short attention span. I made an effort to refocus during the trombone solo, but his/her contribution did not make a significant impression on me. I can’t identify any of the musicians. An interesting track – I would not mind hearing more of this group.

2. This is a relatively easy one. I am pretty certain it is the Dave Holland big band. Holland’s music, regardless of the size of the band is very distinctive. It is not necessarily extending any boundaries, but it is a personal sound. When I can avoid thinking that everything I hear has to be innovative, I really enjoy simply listening to Holland’s music. This big band track is no exception with nice playing from everyone involved.

3. Sweet performance of “I Want To Talk To You” (I think?). Something about the way the saxophones are voiced reminds me of Odean Pope’s Saxophone Choir – although I do know this is not Pope. The featured saxophonist sounds familiar and held my attention. Nice arrangement. Solid performance overall.

4. This reminded me of a recent recording by Eddie Allen’s Aggregation – a recording which I enjoyed a lot. After checking the time for this track against the AMG listing for the Allen record it appears this is not from that recording. In any event, this may be my favorite track so far. Everything about it – the composition, the arrangement and the soloists – kept me engaged. Nice one. I would purchase this for my own collection.

5. Not sure how I feel about this track. It is not something I see myself being motivated to investigate further. I think it got most interesting to me during the last section after the four minute mark when the tempo picked up and the piece had the feel of a chase scene from a suspense/thriller movie. The tenor did remind me of Getz.

6. My initial reaction on first listen is that this is a very interesting track that I want to find time for more attentive listening.

7. The soprano saxophonist has to be Steve Lacy, but the sound of the piano is freaking me out. I am no good with song titles, but I believe it is Monk’s “Ruby My Dear”. The bass and drums are so understated that it almost feels like a saxophone-piano duet. Love the saxophone playing, but undecided how I feel about the pianist’s contribution.

8. The bass line hear reminds me of one of the lines Haden played on an early Ornette track – I think “Ramblin” or something like that. The arrangement here has some shifting sections in the beginning before the solos begin. At times it also has a slight feel of Abdullah Ibrahim. The bass line evolves somewhat during the effective statement by trumpet. Restrained, but solid solo by the trombone. I have no idea who this is, but overall I think this one competes with the fourth track as my favorite on the compilation. I would purchase this recording.

Edited by relyles

Hey Bill,

I have been listening to your BFT and thought I had better at least tell you thanks before time runs out.

I am not a real big band type fan so I would say my favorite track is probably #7. So what is that instrument? Dulcimer? Sounds like a whole lot of different things. Nice tune.

I am looking forward to finding out who #6 is also. Liked that one alot also.

Again, thanks for the opportunity to hear some new to me stuff.

Guest Bill Barton

feeling a mite feverish for some reason....what better time to make objective judgments?

You betcha! :lol:

The usuals, etc. here we go:

TRACK ONE - Effects, yes. Arrangement? More like backgrounds in search of an arrangement. Soloists are predictably (and almost boringly) virtuosic. In its own way, Kenton-ish, you know, the whole NEW!!! thing that really ain't, but ssshhhhh - don't tell them, they're having a good time thinking that it is. I will say this, though - any/all of those effects are written & played gorgeously, which is why in the end I'm pissed of that all they end up being is effects instead of part of a really nicely written chart. Maybe this is atypical of this writer/band?

Well, this particular track is the one from this recent CD that really reached out and grabbed me for some reason. In a way, it may be a bit atypical of the writer/band, but then again they don't really have a specific "niche."

TRACK TWO - Nice enough tune, kinda Woody Shaw-ish, scored & played well. Trombone player is really pissing me off. LEAVE SOME SPACE, BITCH!!! Damn, I hate motherfuckers who just blahblahblahblah, no space, no nuance, just on and on and on and on. They're a good player, but not so good a musician, at least on this solo. SHUT UP, ALREADY. Bass player is really solid, gots that FAT sound, yeah. After all, it IS a bass...and I'm liking the drummer too. WHOA! Who's this tenor player? His basic "style" is not one for which I ordinarily care, but DAMN, the cat's really, really playing some music in there, so style be damned. AQll inall, kill the trombone player & you got a pretty nice cut. I think I could dance to it, even, so hey! OH! It's a Dave Holland group. Robin Eubanks & Chris Potter. Eubanks has been playing well enough and long enough not to do that shit, c'mon...

Correct. Everybody's getting this one right so far. This is by far my favorite track from this octet record.

TRACK THREE - Now, this is Kenton-ish! And that is Billy Harper...Tolliver's band, right? I mean, ok, I love Billy Harper, and I love Tolliver, but this is kinda gimmicky, imo. It's a "big band" gimmick, sure, bringing your tenor player down front for a feature paying tribute to one of the alltimegreatones, but hell, Billy Harper is a great one all hisownself, and I know he loves Trane, we all love Trane, but....c'mon, ya' know? Then again, it's a tough market today's one is, so I guess you give 'em any place to hang their hats that you can find. But it's ok, I guess.

Another score. My take on this track is very different than yours. Although this solo is by no means Harper at his hyper-intense best I really, really like it a lot.

TRACK FOUR - Like that opening duet, nice. Then the chart, and...it doesn't really swing, sounds old/tired/something. Nice writing, though, really nice. Not much in the way of melody, but the scoring is cool. And this bari player, who is this? He/she got some spunk now! Tenor player reminds me in a way of George Garzone, which ain't a bad thing at all. And then it's over, and really, couldn't a small band have made just as much music, and possibly better?

Yeah, the bari player is a MONSTER!

TRACK FIVE - Getz w/Clarke-Boland. Great record. Boland's last project, right? He damn sure went for it, eh? But you know why this works? Balance - it's not all just "reaching", you throw some Getz/melody/smooth in there and both extremes throw the other into relief so you can appreciate them. That's something I wish more people would think about - balancing of elements. Hell, just balance in general.

And he scores again! Boland's writing on this recording strikes me as some of the most adventurous material he ever did; maybe THE most adventurous.

TRACK SIX - I liked it at first, the blend in the saxes was eerie, almost, and the trumpet duet started nice but then got kinda cliche-y. Then the composition proper...I started not liking it, mainly becasue it sounded too derived from Migus (Black Saint, in particular), but then...yeah, they held their ground & I started to believe. Then it began to dissipate, but...not too much. all in all, a noice enough piece of music, and if this is somebody young, I would want to follow their development. There's a voice in the making here, possibly.

Hmmmm... Funny, I never would have thought of Mingus. I'll have to listen again after reading that comment.

TRACK SEVEN - Lacy, obviously, "Pannonica", but damned if I hear an international large (or in a couple of cases "large-ish") ensemble anywhere in the mix. Oh well! Lacy was an ensemble unto himself. Damn....he is so inside the music here (always, really)..from here you can only do different, not better.

The actual ensemble is quite large but they don't appear on this track. The main reason I included it, in addition to the fact that I'm a Lacy-aholic, is the second solo instrument, which - hint - is not a Western instrument. And, well, I have to admit that I'm a huge fan of duos. So, yeah, it's not a large ensemble.

TRACK EIGHT - Abdullah? Ibrahim? or Weston? Randy? A Plunger Extravaganza? Either way, there's better to be had, but this is far from "disposable" either. Is that a trombone or a French horn? Plenty mellow, the whole thing is. Oddly enough, the writing reminded me of Pat Williams in spots (meant as a compliment). Not sure why it ends that way, but...it does!

Yes, it's Abdullah Ibrahim and a recent recording. I hear what you mean about Pat Williams. No French horn is listed in the credits, so I'm thinking that it must be a bass trombone, which is credited. Unfortunately, none of the soloists are identified either.

Some interesting music here, Bill. Thanks!

You're welcome!!!!!

1. This is an adventurous big band performance. The tenor sax solo and the band’s support during that solo were very interesting. My attention wandered a bit during the bass solo, but that is more than likely a reflection of my own short attention span. I made an effort to refocus during the trombone solo, but his/her contribution did not make a significant impression on me. I can’t identify any of the musicians. An interesting track – I would not mind hearing more of this group.

I'm glad that you enjoyed this one, Ronald. So far, the reactions are mixed. A little hint: Seattle-based composer/instrumentalist, recent CD.

2. This is a relatively easy one. I am pretty certain it is the Dave Holland big band. Holland’s music, regardless of the size of the band is very distinctive. It is not necessarily extending any boundaries, but it is a personal sound. When I can avoid thinking that everything I hear has to be innovative, I really enjoy simply listening to Holland’s music. This big band track is no exception with nice playing from everyone involved.

And another score. Everybody is getting this one right off the bat. This is a recent recording by the octet, so it's kind of an "almost big band."

3. Sweet performance of “I Want To Talk To You” (I think?). Something about the way the saxophones are voiced reminds me of Odean Pope’s Saxophone Choir – although I do know this is not Pope. The featured saxophonist sounds familiar and held my attention. Nice arrangement. Solid performance overall.

You're close on the title, actually "I Want to Talk About You."

4. This reminded me of a recent recording by Eddie Allen’s Aggregation – a recording which I enjoyed a lot. After checking the time for this track against the AMG listing for the Allen record it appears this is not from that recording. In any event, this may be my favorite track so far. Everything about it – the composition, the arrangement and the soloists – kept me engaged. Nice one. I would purchase this for my own collection.

Interesting! Now that you mention it, it reminds me a bit of that one too. This group is led by the baritone saxophonist. He wrote the composition and the arrangement. Although the CD is recent, the composition is from the 1970s.

5. Not sure how I feel about this track. It is not something I see myself being motivated to investigate further. I think it got most interesting to me during the last section after the four minute mark when the tempo picked up and the piece had the feel of a chase scene from a suspense/thriller movie. The tenor did remind me of Getz.

It IS Getz. Jim has already correctly identified this one

6. My initial reaction on first listen is that this is a very interesting track that I want to find time for more attentive listening.

There is indeed plenty of "meat" here. FWIW, probably my favorite modern big band and the leader is wildly prolific when it comes to recordings.

7. The soprano saxophonist has to be Steve Lacy, but the sound of the piano is freaking me out. I am no good with song titles, but I believe it is Monk’s “Ruby My Dear”. The bass and drums are so understated that it almost feels like a saxophone-piano duet. Love the saxophone playing, but undecided how I feel about the pianist’s contribution.

Yes, it's Lacy, as most everyone has identified. "Pannonica" as Jim has identified and not "Ruby, My Dear" though. There is no piano! Think non-Western instrument...

8. The bass line hear reminds me of one of the lines Haden played on an early Ornette track – I think “Ramblin” or something like that. The arrangement here has some shifting sections in the beginning before the solos begin. At times it also has a slight feel of Abdullah Ibrahim. The bass line evolves somewhat during the effective statement by trumpet. Restrained, but solid solo by the trombone. I have no idea who this is, but overall I think this one competes with the fourth track as my favorite on the compilation. I would purchase this recording.

Yup, Abdullah it is, more than a slight feel - lol. A sweet CD, very much a personal fave the last few months.

Hey Bill,

I have been listening to your BFT and thought I had better at least tell you thanks before time runs out.

You're welcome. Still plenty of time as the BFT started late though.

I am not a real big band type fan so I would say my favorite track is probably #7. So what is that instrument? Dulcimer? Sounds like a whole lot of different things. Nice tune.

You got it! It's Chinese dulcimer as credited on the booklet, I'm not sure what the traditional name of the instrument is

I am looking forward to finding out who #6 is also. Liked that one alot also.

Good taste!

Again, thanks for the opportunity to hear some new to me stuff.

Edited by Bill Barton

This Blindfold Test really stumped me, but I enjoyed it a lot. I am looking forward to the Reveal. Track #6 is my favorite, especially with the growling trumpeter. I will be checking out the work of several of these artists in the future. Thank you, Bill, for putting this test together.

Guest Bill Barton

I'm glad that you enjoyed it, Hot Ptah! #6 features two trumpeters, one who's a mainstay of the "new music" scene in NYC, the other from...

It's been tough to avoid this thread, but I wanted to listen and post before reading anything here. Here goes:

1. Wow! What a great start to this BFT. This is a really nice, swinging piece of contemporary big band jazz. Wonderful colors here. Don’t recognize the tenor sax soloist at all; the trombonist sounds like George Lewis to me, but it might just be someone using a similar vocabulary. Nothing about this music is obvious – I like it a lot.

2. After the last track, this one sounded very conventional at first. But there’s a lot going on here – shifting time signatures, changing textures, great solos. It’s Dave Holland’s group, of course, although I don’t know the name of the tune. I was wondering if the soloists were Eubanks and Potter; then Mr. Holland did me the favor of introducing them. I love the collective improvisation at the end. Really good quality recording for a club. Primo stuff!

3. Well, I sure didn’t know that this was going to be “I Want to Talk About You” from the introduction. Outstanding tenor playing, which is the point of this recording. Is it Billy Harper? Don’t really know what band it is – whether it’s the tenor player’s band or not, but I like it.

4. I wanted to like this more than I did. It seemed kind of schizophrenic to me – all the parts didn’t hang together that well, and some of the sections weren’t that interesting to me. Good players, but it didn’t really grab me.

5. Cool flute section texture at the beginning. After that, this just confuses me. It sure sounds like Stan Getz, but I’m not familiar with the recording at all. It’s very “soundtracky” and episodic. Don’t have a clue about the bari and soprano soloists. The synth solo, if that’s what it is, is a bizarre touch. This is interesting – not great, but interesting.

6. Excellent mix of composition and improvisation. It’s episodic, but the sections flow together very well. I like the trumpet duet, which is one of the main points of the piece. No idea what group this is, but it’s very good.

7. I really enjoyed hearing Steve Lacy, who is one of my favorite musicians and something of a personal hero. This is Anthony Brown’s Asian American Orchestra playing “Pannonica” from the Monk’s Moods album. Well, it’s four of them anyway, since the whole ensemble is not used on this track. Lacy does something really wonderful during his improvisation – he anticipates the chord changes, sometimes by as much as two beats. It’s a great effect – he was such a master at playing Monk’s music. Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful.

8. Interesting, subtle big band piece. Overall, I like it, but one section, which was a succession of overly regular two-bar phrases, bothered me a little. Really nice plunger trombone. The “hymn” at the end is a cool touch.

Nice stuff - I really enjoyed most of it. Thanks for putting this together.

Guest Bill Barton

It's been tough to avoid this thread, but I wanted to listen and post before reading anything here. Here goes:

1. Wow! What a great start to this BFT. This is a really nice, swinging piece of contemporary big band jazz. Wonderful colors here. Don’t recognize the tenor sax soloist at all; the trombonist sounds like George Lewis to me, but it might just be someone using a similar vocabulary. Nothing about this music is obvious – I like it a lot.

I'm sure that the trombonist will take that as a big compliment. And your "take" on it is different than some other folks' comments. "...swinging" is not a word anyone else has used and I agree.

2. After the last track, this one sounded very conventional at first. But there’s a lot going on here – shifting time signatures, changing textures, great solos. It’s Dave Holland’s group, of course, although I don’t know the name of the tune. I was wondering if the soloists were Eubanks and Potter; then Mr. Holland did me the favor of introducing them. I love the collective improvisation at the end. Really good quality recording for a club. Primo stuff!

Oops! I forgot that he did an announcement. Duh! Bit of a leaky blindfold - lol. Everybody has immediately identified this.

3. Well, I sure didn’t know that this was going to be “I Want to Talk About You” from the introduction. Outstanding tenor playing, which is the point of this recording. Is it Billy Harper? Don’t really know what band it is – whether it’s the tenor player’s band or not, but I like it.

Yes, it's Billy Harper with Charles Tolliver's big band. Thom and Jim have already correctly identified this recording.

4. I wanted to like this more than I did. It seemed kind of schizophrenic to me – all the parts didn’t hang together that well, and some of the sections weren’t that interesting to me. Good players, but it didn’t really grab me.

5. Cool flute section texture at the beginning. After that, this just confuses me. It sure sounds like Stan Getz, but I’m not familiar with the recording at all. It’s very “soundtracky” and episodic. Don’t have a clue about the bari and soprano soloists. The synth solo, if that’s what it is, is a bizarre touch. This is interesting – not great, but interesting.

Yes, it's Getz. This is with the Kenny Clarke/Francy Boland Big Band, the composition and arrangement by Boland.

6. Excellent mix of composition and improvisation. It’s episodic, but the sections flow together very well. I like the trumpet duet, which is one of the main points of the piece. No idea what group this is, but it’s very good.

This composition has been recorded by the composer in at least a couple of different versions with different trumpeters who bring their own approaches/personalities to it. At first I'd considered using two different recordings of it on the BFT but changed my mind.

7. I really enjoyed hearing Steve Lacy, who is one of my favorite musicians and something of a personal hero. This is Anthony Brown’s Asian American Orchestra playing “Pannonica” from the Monk’s Moods album. Well, it’s four of them anyway, since the whole ensemble is not used on this track. Lacy does something really wonderful during his improvisation – he anticipates the chord changes, sometimes by as much as two beats. It’s a great effect – he was such a master at playing Monk’s music. Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful.

Score! I absolutely *love* this album and particularly this track because of the textures of soprano and Chinese zither.

8. Interesting, subtle big band piece. Overall, I like it, but one section, which was a succession of overly regular two-bar phrases, bothered me a little. Really nice plunger trombone. The “hymn” at the end is a cool touch.

The composer did not do the arrangement, by the way. And - holy moly - what you referred to as a "hymn" just practically brings tears to my eyes. Too bad the soloists aren't credited on the CD. There is indeed some very nice trombone playing here.

Nice stuff - I really enjoyed most of it. Thanks for putting this together.

You're welcome, jeffcrom! It was fun... When should the "Reveal" be posted?

Guest Bill Barton

It was fun... When should the "Reveal" be posted?

Well, you've got until the end of the month. A few days before that would be appropriate, if everyone has had their say.

Thanks, Jeff, got it...

If anyone is interested in jumping in, dig tracks #1 & #4 for starters. Bets are on from this quadrant of the digital universe that nobody - yupper, nobody - is going to "get" these. :w

Apologies...a bit late to this...have been really busy recently!

Track 1: nice drummer - really driving things along. I like the arrangement - the trills, the little open section at 3'45" ish...no real idea what it is I'm afraid - not sure I recognise any of the players!

Track 2: not overly fond of the chart...although very accomplished player by all, as you'd expect from the line-up! I enjoy the Eubanks solo, although Chris Potter is all a bit studied for my taste here...I'm afraid I haven't checked out too much Dave Holland from recent times...I think he spoilt himself for me with all his phenomenal work in the 70s, e.g. with Braxton and Sam Rivers! But again, that's just my taste! I imagine this was a fun gig to hear live however.

Track 3: Billy Harper (gorgeous tone!!!) playing I Want to Talk About You. Great stuff! And of course, beautiful tune.

Track 4: enjoyed this...not entirely sure how to relate the opening duo to the rest of the chart, but it's nice! Kind of a weird, stilted feel to the rhythm section...I like it a lot - it's just slightly odd somehow!

Track 5: I actually caught a glimpse as I scrolled down the page of what this is, so won't pretend to hazard any guesses. Very enjoyable though - love the electric piano tone!

Track 6: damn, I'm going to have to come back to this one - very familiar brass players...I like this one a lot - nice chart...electric bass works well for me too!

Track 7: Pannonica is the tune. And that's Lacy, no doubt...no idea what it is though...I love Lacy, as always, but am not wild about the gu zheng, although it is kind of cool to play Monk like this...

Track 8: that has to be Abdullah with that attack on piano...nice tune - quirky changes! Slightly odd drumming - something not quite sitting about the groove IMHO...I don't think it's a South African guy, or rather, I don't think it's someone who plays too much of this stuff. Cool all the same - just slightly strange in a way I can't lay my finger on. Wow, the tune is completely 'son of Big Alice' in the middle there...I like the trumpet player...but of a Clark Terry vibe there! Trombonist has a great tone too...love the voicings at around 7'45" onwards. Hymn at the end is beautifully played...almost too 'correctly' in some ways - none of the abandon/expressionism of the Brotherhood of Breath here!!!...makes me think these are session guys/a radio big band/classical players or something like that...so I guess this could be Abdullah with the NDR Big Band or something???

Many thanks for these - apologies not to write more!!!

Guest Bill Barton

Apologies...a bit late to this...have been really busy recently!

No worries about being late to the party! The BFT is up until the end of July because of the late start.

Track 1: nice drummer - really driving things along. I like the arrangement - the trills, the little open section at 3'45" ish...no real idea what it is I'm afraid - not sure I recognise any of the players!

This BFT has progressed far enough so that I feel okay with posting another hint on this one. Your mention of "trills" is apropos. The composition's title includes the word "trilling."

Track 2: not overly fond of the chart...although very accomplished player by all, as you'd expect from the line-up! I enjoy the Eubanks solo, although Chris Potter is all a bit studied for my taste here...I'm afraid I haven't checked out too much Dave Holland from recent times...I think he spoilt himself for me with all his phenomenal work in the 70s, e.g. with Braxton and Sam Rivers! But again, that's just my taste! I imagine this was a fun gig to hear live however.

I know what you mean... I had the pleasure of hearing him with Rivers in several different groupings at Dartmouth College years ago.

Track 3: Billy Harper (gorgeous tone!!!) playing I Want to Talk About You. Great stuff! And of course, beautiful tune.

Another score! And I agree wholeheartedly about his tone.

Track 4: enjoyed this...not entirely sure how to relate the opening duo to the rest of the chart, but it's nice! Kind of a weird, stilted feel to the rhythm section...I like it a lot - it's just slightly odd somehow!

"Slightly odd" is a nice compliment in my book - lol!

Track 5: I actually caught a glimpse as I scrolled down the page of what this is, so won't pretend to hazard any guesses. Very enjoyable though - love the electric piano tone!

Yes, this has already been correctly identified as Stan Getz with Clarke/Boland. I like the electric piano too (Boland).

Track 6: damn, I'm going to have to come back to this one - very familiar brass players...I like this one a lot - nice chart...electric bass works well for me too!

For my "money" this is one of the very finest contemporary large ensembles.

Track 7: Pannonica is the tune. And that's Lacy, no doubt...no idea what it is though...I love Lacy, as always, but am not wild about the gu zheng, although it is kind of cool to play Monk like this...

A solid score in all respects, including coming up with the traditional name of the instrument, which I couldn't remember to save my life. It's credited as Chinese dulcimer rather than zither in the annotation though.

Track 8: that has to be Abdullah with that attack on piano...nice tune - quirky changes! Slightly odd drumming - something not quite sitting about the groove IMHO...I don't think it's a South African guy, or rather, I don't think it's someone who plays too much of this stuff. Cool all the same - just slightly strange in a way I can't lay my finger on. Wow, the tune is completely 'son of Big Alice' in the middle there...I like the trumpet player...but of a Clark Terry vibe there! Trombonist has a great tone too...love the voicings at around 7'45" onwards. Hymn at the end is beautifully played...almost too 'correctly' in some ways - none of the abandon/expressionism of the Brotherhood of Breath here!!!...makes me think these are session guys/a radio big band/classical players or something like that...so I guess this could be Abdullah with the NDR Big Band or something???

You got it! That's definitely one of my favorite Abdullah tunes.

Many thanks for these - apologies not to write more!!!

You're welcome! And no apologies necessary.

Edited by Bill Barton