BFT 88 Reveal

Dan Gould

Thanks to everyone who participated and posted their guesses, I shouldn't say I am surprised but there are some really sharp-eared guys in this group.

All tracks are available for purchase (as part of a complete concert download) from www.wolfgangsvault.com. Jim S. circled around that theme but didn't quite nail it down and I didn't give him immediate credit, hoping someone else would get it exactly right. But Jim did, for all intents and purposes. :tup My purpose in choosing this theme was to help introduce some of the treasures available at Wolfgangs website for anyone not aware of it.

Two disclaimers/clarifications:

All transfers were made by recording via Goldwave live streaming feeds of each track at 192 KBPS. I was concerned that some would notice deficient sound but in fact no one mentioned it and that shows that you can get pretty good sound off a stream without paying for the FLAC or MP3 download.

All artist listings are taken from the website, so any mistakes are theirs.

Track 1

“Sonnymoon for Two”

Sonny Criss Quartet

July 6, 1968

Newport Jazz Festival

Sonny Criss - alto sax

Bill Taylor - piano

Junie Booth - bass

Mousie Alexander – drums

No, it wasn't Richie Cole but a blazing Sonny Criss. :P

Track 2

“Lester Leaps In”

Tyree Glenn Septet

July 2 1960

Newport Jazz Festival

Glenn, trombone, vibes

Tommy Flanagan, piano

Tommy Potter, bass

Eddie Locke, drums

Special guests:

Georgie Auld, tenor sax

Harry “Sweets” Edison, trumpet

A couple of BFTs ago I used a recording that actually had an announcement of the soloist in the middle. That was just a bit worse than not noticing that someone says "George" in the middle of this one. So congrats to Jim R. for going with Georgie Auld.

What I liked about this one was suspecting a lot of people to assume it was Hamp, in fact prior to hearing this concert, I hadn't even known that Glenn played both trombone and vibes.

Track 3

"What’s New”

Clark Terry All Stars

July 7 1974

Radio City Music Hall

Urbie Green - trombone

Charlie Byrd - guitar

Milt Hinton - bass

Freddie Waits – drums

I figured a few people would get Charlie Byrd but no one got Urbie Green. FYI, the rest of the "All-Stars" who are absent for this tune are Joe Newman, Charlie Rouse, Lockjaw and Hank Jones.

Track 4

“Party Line”

Marshall Brown & The Newport Youth Band

July 2, 1960

Newport Jazz Festival

Marshall Brown - conductor, arranger

Mike Abene - piano

Andy Marsala - alto saxophone

Larry Morton - alto saxophone

Ronnie Cuber - baritone saxophone

Danny Megna - tenor saxophone

Al Abreu - tenor saxophone

Harry Hall - trumpet

Gerry Joachim - trumpet

Nat Pavone - trumpet

Bill Vaccaro - trumpet

Astley Fennell -trombone

Eddy Green - trombone

Chip Hoehler - trombone

Benny Jacobs-El - trombone

Jerry Friedman - guitar

Eddie Gomez - bass

Larry Rosen - drums

Featured soloists:

Cannonball Adderley, Andy Marsala - alto sax

Thom said it was Cannonball so he gets the prize. I liked Jim's flashbacks to lab band nightmares. A helluva band, and I knew Cannonball guesting with them would be a good combination for a BFT.

Track 5

“Memories of You”

Zoot Sims – Bucky Pizzarelli

June 10 1977

Great American Music Hall

San Francisco

I kinda thought Zoot was one of those obvious players but I guess not, some heard a Zoot influence, some heard Zoot, and someone said Scott Hamilton. :o:P

Track 6

"Chasin’ at Newport"

Newport Jazz Festival House Band

July 4 1963

Howard McGhee - trumpet

Clark Terry - trumpet

Joe Zawinul - piano

Wendell Marshall - bass

Roy Haynes - drums

So many got Clark Terry, I don't know what it is but I'm not nearly as in-tune with his style as a lot of you are. But only Bill F got Mcghee, so congrats to Bill. BTW Hawk and Zoot are the missing horns on this performance.

Track 7

“Lover Come Back to Me”

Ruby Braff Quartet

July 5 1964

Newport Jazz Festival

Braff, cornet

Sir Charles Thompson, piano

Slam Stewart, bass

Ben Riley, drums

Special guest:

Ben Webster, tenor sax

Here's one of the "cookies" I included - the inimitable Ben Webster, and in retrospect, Slam Stewart is pretty obvious too. Most people got Ben. I'd like to think I'd have definitely gotten him, I just wish an easy one like that would show up on these BFTs every once in a while. The one person who didn't recognize Ben shall remain nameless. :g

Good call on Ruby Braff from a couple of people.

Track 8

“The Work Song”

1973 Newport in NY

July 3 1973

Apollo Theater

Kenny Burrell Quartet

Kenny Burrell - guitar

Richard Wyands - piano

Larry Ridley - bass

Oliver Jackson – drums

This is one that Jim R. did get. :w

Track 9

"In a Mello Tone"

Great American Music Hall

3/18/1977

San Francsisco

Teddy Wilson - piano

Dean Riley - bass

Benny Barth - drums

Special guest:

Kai Winding - trombone

No one got Kai but Thom made a good call in saying that he didn't sound like he was from the era. Jim S. came close but couldn't quite declare it to be Teddy Wilson on piano.

Track 10

“Nica’s Dream”

Mastersounds

July 3 1959

Newport Jazz Festival

Buddy Montgomery - vibraphone

Monk Montgomery - Fender electric bass

Rich Crabtree - piano

Benny Barth – drums

This was a cookie for Jim R. ... he got it eventually. :P

Track 11

“Sister Sadie”

Horace Silver Quintet

July 3 1959

Newport Jazz Festival

Silver, piano

Blue Mitchell, trumpet

Junior Cook, tenor saxophone

Gene Taylor, bass

Louis Hayes, drums

Another cookie, yet only Jim S. got it right. And yet Jim didn't get the full group, questioning whether Blue Mitchell was in the band. I certainly figured Horace on piano would nail it for most people.

Anyway - what I love about this is that its a performance captured before the recording session that set this tune down for all eternity (Horace plays this after a shouted request after expressing puzzlement over how people know it). So I love that its been captured at a time when it was so "fresh". ("Blowin' The Blues Away" and "Peace" are also a part of this Newport set, performances captured prior to the justly famous recording session.)

Track 12

“Blueport”

Gerry Mulligan Concert Jazz Band

July 1st 1960

Newport Jazz Festival

Gerry Mulligan - baritone sax, composer, arranger, bandleader

Bob Brookmeyer - valve trombone, arranger

Gene Quill - alto sax

Jim Reider - tenor sax

Dick Meldonian - tenor sax

Gene Allen - baritone sax

Alan Raph - bass trombone

Wayne Andre - trombone

Don Ferrara - trumpet

Conte Candoli - trumpet

Phil Sunkel - trumpet

Buddy Clark - bass

Mel Lewis – drums

Soloists: Mulligan, Reider on tenor sax, Brookmeyer on valve trombone and Ferrara on trumpet

Once I decided on the theme, I figured this was the one to wrap it up with a pretty bow, giving a final nudge for people to go from "Blueport" to "Newport" to Wolfgang's Vault!. No one made that call but Bill F. showed impressive skills in nailing the soloists. That is, assuming that Bill Milkowski was right in the first place. :P

Now for people's reactions ....

Very interesting BFT - I love the theme. Glad I got Criss, but I'm kind of chagrined about missing some other musicians that should have been obvious. For whatever reason, it didn't sound like Charlie Byrd, it didn't sound like Horace's band, it didn't sound like Zoot. I'll have to go back and give those another listen.

I remember from articles from the period that Andy Marsala was considered quite the phenom. Wonder what happened to him.

And I thought Braff was Sweets, too.

Thanks for a swinging BFT.

The one person who didn't recognize Ben shall remain nameless. :g

Hey, did anyone else recognize Bucky Pizzarelli? :cool: As Giants closer Brian Wilson would say... Got Heem!

Track 8

“The Work Song”

1973 Newport in NY

July 3 1973

Apollo Theater

Kenny Burrell Quartet

Kenny Burrell - guitar

Richard Wyands - piano

Larry Ridley - bass

Oliver Jackson – drums

This is one that Jim R. did get. :w

"One"? :huh:^_^ Anyway, I got #10 too, and I did almost as well on tracks 1, 5, 6, and 11 as I did on this track. A lot of the song titles were slam dunks (or, four pitch walks, since it's baseball season), but overall this was the first BFT in awhile where I haven't felt like bailing. :D

I said its "one you got" not "the one you got". Big difference.

:P

I knew that. I just enjoy acting like a nutjob. :crazy:

I've never liked Charlie Byrd's playing, which might help explain why I didn't even bother to try to figure out who the guitarist was on that track. His tone definitely threw me... didn't sound like the classical guitar tone Byrd typically got. Maybe he borrowed an instrument for this gig? Urbie Green is one of the few bone players whose tone I often recognize. Not sure what went wrong here, but that track still sounds weird to me.

I'm surprised and impressed by the reveal on track 4. Just wow.

Teddy Wilson on 9... I need to listen to my TW recordings more often, methinks.

Fun test, Dan. Thanks again.

Glad everyone enjoyed the BFT so much. It was a pleasure putting it together, and it flowed much better than my original conception which included songs from Phil Collins' big band record, and Charlie Watts' jazz dabblings. Might have been interesting from a BFT perspective but not something anyone would have kept around for listening pleasure, as HP is. So its much more satisfying to hear such feedback.

Glad everyone enjoyed the BFT so much. It was a pleasure putting it together, and it flowed much better than my original conception which included songs from Phil Collins' big band record, and Charlie Watts' jazz dabblings. Might have been interesting from a BFT perspective but not something anyone would have kept around for listening pleasure, as HP is. So its much more satisfying to hear such feedback.

That is an interesting point, Dan. There is a real art form in making a BFT which contains music which will stump the panel of experts in an intriguing way, while still making it something that is listenable more than once, or a few times. I have had the same experience, thinking that a particular song would really fool everyone in a surprising way, but realizing that it was just not very enjoyable to listen to. I think that each BFT preparer resolves this situation in their own way, emphasizing one priority over the other.

Great idea to choose only live recordings! I wish I had found more time to listen, but my day job is eating me up at the time ... alt least I got Clark Terry. Very nice choices. I will keep this one and check out some of them in their entirety.

I should have guessed Kenny Burrell .... and Sonny Criss. I was aware he could be over the top, but not that much!

Thanks a lot, Dan!

• 8 months later...