George Braith

Durium

A special concert

concert50.jpg

Fifty years ago, the 17th of August 1957, the Jay Jay Johnson Quintet performed at the Concertgebouw in Amsterdam. This group featured a lot of known jazz musicians like Jay Jay Johnson - Bobby Jaspar -- Tommy Flanagan - Wilbur Little and Elvin Jones A second, less known group of young musicians, The American Jazz Sextet performed also that evening and featured a young rather unknown alto saxophone player George Braithwaite, better known as George Braith.

braight01.jpg

This American jazz saxophone player, now almost forgotten, played for the first time in the Netherlands at this concert 50 years ago. He became known for is experiences to play two horns simultaneous like Roland Kirk and for his Braithophone- a double horn he developed. He made three great albums for Blue Note, now reissued on a 2CD set. But few people know about his special relation to John Coltrane. A unique musician.

George Braith - a lost hero?

George Braith - a unique musician

Keep swinging

Durium

Guest Bill Barton

I have very vivid memories of hearing him play on the street circa 1981 in New York City, somewhere in the Village... It was one of the highlights of my visit.

• 5 months later...

George can be found playing most Friday and Saturday nights at a loft space called University of the Streets in the East Village (130 East 7th Street on the second floor, right off Avenue A). He plays braithophone and tenor sax and even alto sax on occasion and sounds great. The gig usually starts around 11 pm and turns into a jam session later in the evening. I can be found there most nights when I'm in town and not working as well.....