Look out Gloss!!

scottb

I play some guitar. (I can't really say I'm a guitarist, somehow that seems like I'm exagerating) I play mostly rock and blues and screw around on my computer recording studio program.

Naturally, I have wanted to transition to playing more jazz. Since I don't really have the time to take some lessons, I have purchased several books in the past, most of which have been less than helpful. Up until now, this:

Swing Guitar Essentials

has been the most helpful book. There are some good lessons within, but I found that I could play the tunes in the book but it still didn't help me open my Jazz Fake Book and play tunes.

BUT NOW I found this book!

Hal Leonard Guitar Method JAZZ GUITAR (pictured below)

This book is a great book for someone like me. Most books show you a thousand chords then set you off to play some tunes. The fingerings of the chords you choose to play may have you preforming fretboard heroics when actually you may only have to lift one finger to change chords. This book gives you the chords, then lets you get familiar with them by playing some jazz chord progressions (there is a companion CD with 99 tracks to play along with) It also has several complete tunes and discusses scales, modes, comping, chord melody, soloing. It's got it all!

As you can see, I'm excited about finally finding a useful book to help learn jazz guitar and I just wanted to share the find with anyone interested.

So with this book and lots of practice, and if Joe would get distracted from his studies by women or drugs or booze, or fame, I think I can beat him out as the guitarist for Organissimo in about 25 years! So look out Joe, I'm right behind you! Ok, well not RIGHT behind you. I can't really see you from where I am now but I know you're up there! :D

Edited by scottb

Awsome man, Given the fact that you wen't on your own wim, to purchase guitar books to teach yourself how to become a better jazz player shows great determinations and some even better potential surrounding the jazz world.

I've always been a huge fan of the guitar for jazz, its so technical and some of the riffs people play are mind boggling, even quicker then some of the lines * The Bird Himself plays*

Keep up the good work man, Thanks for sharing what book worked best for you, I'm sure others will pick it up and have the same experiences. :D

Of course, due to our geographical disparity (yeah that's the ticket) we will not be able to do battle face to face. We will be ready to submit our song within the week. If the tune sounds like a Patton / Green / Dixon tune, I assure you it's just because of their heavy influence on our playing. :D