cd recorders...recommendations?

slide_advantage_redoux

I am interested in getting a CD burner...I want to dub off some of my LPs with the least hassle possible. Is there such a machine that I can work easily with? One that will perform top shelf and last a long time?

I have read posts mentioning the Denon. What models do they offer/cost etc. Other brands worthy of consideration?

Thanks!

Edited by slide_advantage_redoux

After spending a few disappointing years with a Philips, I bought an HHB Burnit professional machine. It uses plain old PC blanks (as opposed to "audio blanks" though it can use those as well) and it has very nice level and balance controls, faders, etc. It has been a great performer, is solidly built, sounds very nice both the copies it makes and as a player.

re Denon----I have nothing to say about it except that I spent the entire day crawling around connecting my newly purchased Denon CDR-W1500 into my audio rig. Right now, I'm so pooped with the effort that i haven't played it yet. Not Denon's fault, it's the complexity of my complicated wiring system that did it.I also cursed out the guy who wired it, but it does no good because the guy is me. This unit comes highly recommended, which is why I bought it.

I'll post here again tomorrow with the results and how I feel about them. :wacko:

Jazzbo's unit sounds very nice.

My Denon CDR-W 1500 is still going strong(bought used for $150!)

It's the only CD recorder I have experience with. Very easy to use with good sound. You do need use 'audio' or 'music' blanks, but at 30 cents each it did not matter to me.

Guest Chaney

I too own an HHB machine, the HBB BurnIt CDR-830.

Does a fine job but I find I use it little as my CD player is a bit old and it's apparently not able to send the proper signal to the recorder which enables the recorded to automatically number each track. If I use the machine, I have to sit there and, in real time, manually number each track. Pain in the butt.

As my CD player (California Audio Labs CL-10) is skipping once again -- after my replacing its laser lens around two years ago! -- I think it's time to buy a new machine. Better start saving my pennies.

I also have an HHB Burnit and use it alot for putting vinyl over to cdr. It does an outstanding job. It has all the advantages that Lon mentions, however it also has some downside. It is a single drawer unit so if you want to copy a cd or cdr, you have to have another player. It only copies in real time so you cant speed record with it.

In my case i also have two Harmon Kardon H2 double drawer burners so i can copy stuff up to 4x speed if need be. The downside to the HK's and i think every other stand alone have concerns second generation copies. If you make a copy of a copy it reverts to anolog because the units have copy guard bilt in. On the other hand except for a slight volume difference its hard to tell the differnce between the digital ad the anolog copies.

I can recommend both the HHB and the HK depending on how you want to use it.

The downside to the HK's and i think every other stand alone have concerns second generation copies. If you make a copy of a copy it reverts to anolog because the units have copy guard bilt in.

Why would you make a copy of the CD-R on the HHB? It seems to me that once you've transferred an LP or tape to the CD-R, you would then use that CD-R as the source material on your PC to make additional CD-R dubs, as it would be faster and purely digital with no sacrifice in fidelity.

I've just bought the Denon DNC 550R and I have had a bitch of a time setting up the inputs correctly. The manual is much more difficult to follow that it needs to be ,but then again, this is a professional model. If anyone has some advise, I'd welcome it off post!

I bought this particular unit because it has dual drives and I would be making copies of live performances for associates. The straight cd player sounds great and I have made cpopies from cd to cd that sound perfect. The problem I have, I think, is my conections from the turntable and tape player to the recorder. Will try again tomorrow!

Marty, a few points:

The HHB does NOT automatically revert to analog copying of copies; you can defeat "Serial Copy Management" on this machine. A benefit of this being a professional model.

Bill was talking about the Harmon Kardon burner in that sentence and his mention of "second generation" players.

I've just bought the Denon DNC 550R and I have had a bitch of a time setting up the inputs correctly. The manual is much more difficult to follow that it needs to be ,but then again, this is a professional model. If anyone has some advise, I'd welcome it off post!

I bought this particular unit because it has dual drives and I would be making copies of live performances for associates. The straight cd player sounds great and I have made cpopies from cd to cd that sound perfect. The problem I have, I think, is my conections from the turntable and tape player to the recorder. Will try again tomorrow!

Unless I've mis-read this, it sounds like you are hooking up a turntable directly to the CD burner. This is a no-no. A Turntable must go through a preamplifier. Many older receivers have them. You can also buy one for around $30 if yours does not. With a pre-amp, you could directly connect it to your CD-burner. However, why not just hook the CD-burner and turntable up to the receiver? That way, you can still use the turntable and CD-R deck as player-back units.

The easiest way to hook up a CD-R unit is to treat it like a cassette deck. It simply goes into a "tape loop". Most receivers have 2 tape loops.

Later,

Kevin

Marty, a few points:

The HHB does NOT automatically revert to analog copying of copies; you can defeat "Serial Copy Management" on this machine. A benefit of this being a professional model.

Bill was talking about the Harmon Kardon burner in that sentence and his mention of "second generation" players.

OK, thanks for the info. Now that my birthday has just passed and I feel like giving myself a present, an HHB would be nice to have. I believe that the HHB Burner comes in two models, one at $500, the other at least $200 more. Can you indicate what the differences are between the two models?

Marty,

Im one of those old geezers that does not have a computer. My link to the net is with one of those little set top Web TV units, so i could not pop my originals into the computer, which ofcourse you are correct, would make a digital copy.

The HHB has solved that problem. Now if i make a copy of something to trade, the person who gets it will also be able to make digital copies on a stand alone unit.

I hope that clarifies what i meant by second generation copies.

A related question.

I've had this Pioneer PDR 609 for a couple of years and have been very happy with it:

1011866267282pdr609_detailpage.jpg

Now I'm fully aware you can't use data CDRs on it. But the other day I bought some Sony CDRs which were labelled in the shop as for Audio. When I load them I just get a 'Monitor' signal.

They work fine burning from the PC, but seem not to work in the stand alone. Is there any way to get round this?

CDR-Audio discs are getting harder to find in the high street shops. I suspect they will be on sale mainly in HiFi shops and online from now on.

Marty, I think the gist of the difference is in this portion of the link that Sun posted:

The HHB CDR830 BurnIT PLUS enhances the already comprehensive feature set of the HHB CDR830 BurnIT. A Word Clock input enables synchronisation to a host clock during playback, making the unit ideal for applications in which audio remains entirely in the digital domain. The BurnIT PLUS also features balanced XLR analogue I/O and balanced XLR digital I/O – making the recorder ideal for all professional applications.

In your case I wouldn't spend the extra two hundred. I didn't, and have no "nonbuyer's remorse."

Thanks Kevin, for trying to help.

I Do have the components running trought the pre-amp, though.

I have a Bryston amp and pre-amp, a Linn turntable and a NAD tape deck.

Maybe I'm making this more comlicated that it really is?

Your help is welcome!

Tom Marcello

Deneon DNC 550R link

Pre-amp tape out to the CDR analog in.

Are the tt leads going to correct phono input if you have moving magnet and moving coil inputs on the pre-amp?