Jazz at CDbaby.com

mgraham333

A couple years ago I came upon an indepent music store online called CD Baby a neat little store with tons of independent artists -- some good, some great, and some not.

I spent a good deal of time searching through their offerings (which are increasing all the time) and found some really good music that I would have otherwise never have found (record industry rant omitted).

And a very big plus in my book - the artists get the lion share of the $$ from sales.

I recently visited their site and noticed that they had some new offerings in their JAZZ SECTION. And thankfully, they know enough to break jazz into subcategories - I'm not all that concerned about labels, but it shows they understand a bit about the genre.

I listened to a few samples and found some discs that I'll probably purchase (as soon as I pay this month's Mosaic bill...just grabbed the Hoarce Parlan and caught up on the Selects with Moncur).

Here are a few that I liked:

Bob Reynolds Quartet: Live at the Jazz Corner - Fresh originals and arrangements of standards brought to life by sax, piano, bass and drums, and captured live during two nights at a great jazz club.

Lou Caputo: Urban Still Life - the type of instrumental jazz you might hear in an big city setting, bebop, latin, funk ellingtonia etc.

Greg Skaff: Blues for Mr. T - Funky New York style guitar jazz in a powerhouse Hammond B 3 organ trio format

In the spirit of full disclosure, I get a credit for the referral if you click on any of the links above.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just said that they had jazz subcategories, never said they got 'em right ;)

If you're willing to spend some time, you'll probably come across some music that you'll be glad you found. There's some stuff there that should never have been put on disc, but there's also stuff by artists who are just as deserving of a major label contract as anyone on the scene today.

Edited by mgraham333

Taking a short look through, I'd say there's a lot of nice one-stop shopping to be had, some of which is very tough to find these days (I'm thinking especially of the Evening Star recordings or the Blacknote recording. Anyone looking for the Another Time, Another Place two disc set featuring Benny Carter and Phil Woods, they've got it in stock. They also have the new Charles Davis/Cedar Walton disc that got a nice write up in the Times, and I also noticed that the Greg Skaff disc has Mike LeDonne on organ and Joe Farnsworth on drums.

Definitely a site I need to check out carefully, anyone who gets ringers like LeDonne or Sebastian Whitiker to play on their date, there're pretty good chances I'll dig it.

picked up fluid motion w/ sam rivers and the eels electro-shock blues live disc (limited edition only available at cdbaby) a while back. great service. and if i remember correctly, they throw in a 10- or 15%-off coupon good on your next purchase.

Adam Scone's new disc which is offered on CDBaby sounds nice.  I'll be ordering a copy soon.  It's an organ trio but they do some neat original material and it has the great Ben Dixon on drums!!!

Adam is a close friend and that is a really nice disc. Also, he's on Ben Dixon's organ trio CD "Say Yes to Your Best." Which is still one of my favorite trio records in recent years. Adam's also been recording and touring a bit with Bob Beldon, not to mention his substituting for Lonnie Smith on occassion with Lou Donaldson's band. Oh, and did I mention the Sugarman 3 stuff ;) . Anyway, Adam's real busy and for good reason. He's one of the best imho (and Lonnie's too ;) )

Also this disc mentioned above with Mike LeDonne. That guy is another terriffic organist, not to mention one of the best jazz pianists in NYC. I used to catch Mike at SMOKE on his usual Wed. gig with Eric Alexander and Joe Farnsworth. Me and John Patton used to drop by there when we were out and about in the city. LeDonne's so unknown on organ that it's a shame. He used to play up in Harlem with Joe Dukes long before any organ revival. So I hope he does some more recording on organ soon. (think I'll grab that disc from CDBaby!) :D

Edited by Soul Stream

Hey, already ordered! Can anybody suggest any other organ stuff they've tripped over on CDBABY. I really like listening to indepedent stuff from people I normally wouldn't hear otherwise.

P.S...B3-er you must of had a gig too. Can't sleep yet.... :rolleyes:

Edited by Soul Stream

Mike,

The one Mike LeDonne organ date I knew of before is an unlikely one: He's on Scott Hamilton's Organic Duke, a set of Ellington tunes-not what you'd expect! Also not as greasy as I'd have wanted, so I'd like to hear LeDonne in a more traditional organ context.

As far as other organ dates on CDBaby, I've had my eye on Jackie Ivory. I was really surprised to see his name, as I had no idea he was still around. But he made an album for ATCO back in the 60s that I traded for-not Earth shattering, but still pretty nice. It looks like he's doing a more soul/R&B thing (and in fact the listing actually mentions the dreaded phrase "smooth jazz"!) but the clips don't sound too bad.

Yeah Dan. I haven't heard Organic Duke, but the only other LeDonne organ thing I know of is a Chris Flory CD. It's o.k., but it doesn't really show what LeDonne can do on organ. I'll let you know how this new disc with him on it is.

I've got that Jackie Ivory on Atco (actually a 4 song ep of it). It's nice, but I really like Jackie on the Willis Jackson LP, I forget which one. I'll have to check out the new disc. :D

Chris Fiore & Feeling Zero - Jazz Stars - original Jazz compositions in the modern Jazz style. A wide range of unique sounds with funk, Latin and rock flavor. (apparently this is a posthumous release)

Al Molina - The Gift - "quintet with s.f. musicians playing excellent music, if not overly adventurous." - scott yanow

Rene' McLean - Live In South Africa Generations to Come - An eclectic blend of Pan African Music; Straight ahead Jazz, Eastern and African Rhythms, Spoken Word and Beyond.

(interesting CD from the son of Jackie)

and here is a wildcard, just because I've never heard of blending of New Orleans and Funk...

Halfbrass - Come On Down - Get your fix of some funky New Orleans second-line brass. If you ain't movin', you must be dead.

(not really crazy about this one, but the band sure sounds like they're having fun)

Soul Stream... I didn't have a gig actually. I was up re-doing the main homepage! :)

I'm looking forward to hearing the Scone date.

Just got back from a gig tonight. On my way home when I got a blowout!!! Man, that tire went all the way flat in 2 seconds and I was riding on the rim. Pullin' the trailer with the organ and everything, changing the tire was bitch. And just 2 blocks from the house. Oh well, guess I'll be spending the gig money tonight on a new tire tommorrow. :rolleyes:

Needless to say I'm pretty tired. -_-

That Scone disc is good. Matter of fact he cut the whole thing at the same time as the Ben Dixon date. I think they cut like 20 something songs all in one day. :blink:

Sorry to hear about that flat, man. I haven't had a flat in over 15 years, but I remember back in highschool ('84-'87) - there was this one year where I had 3 flats, like all in the very same 1 or 2 month period. Might have even been 4 flats, now that I think of it. One was when it was raining cats and dogs, and I had to change the tire on the side of a major highway, only about a mile from home. But I got really good at changin' flats by the 3rd or 4th one.

The only time I've ever had a flat was about 2 years ago and I had two of them within a month of each other. Both on the highway. I hate that shit.

Sorry to hear that, dude. But how did the gig go?

The gig was great, so the flat tire didn't bum me too much. Funny how that works. A great gig can really make everything right with the world. :D Also, I've really been on a hot streak with drummers, playing with a couple of guys that really burn lately.

How's it going with Organissimo Jim? Looks like by your calender, ya'll are keeping pretty busy. :tup

That Scone disc is good. Matter of fact he cut the whole thing at the same time as the Ben Dixon date.

What Dixon date is this that you speak of?

I got the Scone and I really like it. The first track has been in my head since yesterday when I listened to the disc. Great melody and I like 5/4. Scone's tone is really neat, too. He seems to be going after that McDuff thing... very gnarly and dirty.

The saxophonist is fantastic. He reminds me a lot of Lou Donaldson. Great tone and ideas. Ben is swingin' his nuts off as usual! I emailed Adam and told him how nice the record is. It has a very cool vibe to it that is hard to pin down.

How's it going with Organissimo Jim? Looks like by your calender, ya'll are keeping pretty busy.

Yes, things are picking up! I'm working hard trying to book this tour. I haven't even called any clubs yet. I'm just gathering information, but that alone is tiring! I think with the recent review in Cadence and this Florida gig, things might be about to hit boil!!!! :tup

• 1 year later...

I just found a few more Jazz titles at CDBaby that I like (and ordered!)

ALAN JONES SEXTET: the leroy vinnegar suite

A musical tribute by Alan Jones to one of the worlds greastest and most influential bassists, this original music reminds you of the great jazz of the 50's and 60's while taking you on a ride to where that music has gone.

ALAN JONES, PHIL DWYER, RODNEY WHITAKER: let me tell you about my day

Put Sonny Rollins, John Coltrane, Joe Henderson, Elvin Jones, Tony Williams, Jimmy Garrison, and Paul Chambers in a recording studio in 2004 and you'd probably hear something like this enthralling debut recording from three wonderfully gifted musicians.

JOE GILMAN: treasure chest

Contemporary acoustic jazz with legendary tenor man Joe Henderson and future legends Jeff Watts and Bob Hurst