AOTW-4/16/06

Steve Reynolds

an oldie for me

recorded 11/13 & 14, 1982

John Lindberg: bass

George Lewis: trombone

Barry Altschul: drums, etc

on black saint

Lindberg as a relative youngster (about 24 years old) joined by the 30 year olf genius of the trombone and the relative veteran of jazz at the time, master drummer Barry Altschul

four concise/incisive compostions by the leader with one each from the other members of the trio.

would love to hear some comments from the members of this board from those who know this one. Has long been one of the classic post-Trane recordings in my mind. Stunning sound, stunning and exuberant playing by all, and it has that joy of newness and discovery that can only exist on a selcted small percentage of jazz recordings. An added bonus is that it is a recordings that fits no category - as it it isn't in, it isn't out, it simply is what it is.

• 1 year later...

This was a recording that slipped by me. Even missed it when it was an AOW. Picked it up recently & am happy I finally got to hear it. Three musicians who truly listen to each other - & a good chance to hear George Lewis stretch out on trombone in a small group setting.

Listened to it for the second time today, and was struck by a segment of "Shunk-Shank" where Lewis and Lindberg get into a riff, and Altschul, instead of playing a backbeat, as a lot of drummers might have done, plays some accents on cymbal and (bass?) drum and lets the music happen without forcing a cliche on it.

it's unfortunate that there wasn't any initial response to this as an AOW. I wish that I had heard this music at an earlier time and could have responded then. Thanks to Steve Reynolds for his initial post. Hope that others will check out this recording.