AOTW 8-14 October 2006

This album has spent more time coming out of my speakers and into my earholes than any other in my collection. That’s not the reason I picked it, though. But the reasons I picked it are the reasons why I have spent so much time listening to it over the last 32 years. The record was made on 11,12 & 13 December 1973 and issued early the following year.

I think this is a record that can be enjoyed and appreciated in many ways or from many angles.

First, let’s put up the cover.

earland.jpg

Now, that’s not a Reid Miles cover, but it does speak to me of that kind of classicism in LP sleeves. (I do regret that Fantasy changed the cover for the CD issue.) It’s an exciting sleeve! The big block lettering, filing up almost the whole sleeve, completely announces itself. And the picture of Charles, at a B3 Spaceship control, is both urgent and whimsical!

And the players! Joe Henderson, tenor and Freddie Hubbard, trumpet and flugelhorn, are both so important to the album they get on the front cover.

The others are more than just a supporting cast, however.

Eddie Henderson (trumpet)

Dave Hubbard (alto flute, soprano & tenor sax)

Dr Patrick Gleeson (synthesisers)

Mark Elf, Eddie Arkin & Greg Crockett (guitar)

Brian Brake & Harvey Mason (drums)

Larry Killian (percussion)

Rudy Copeland (vocal)

Earland himself plays B3, synthesisers, clavinet, piano and soprano sax.

Many musicians sometimes played Soul Jazz and sometimes Hard Bop. One thing that Earland did better than anyone else was to make records that were Hard Bop and Soul Jazz at the same time. And “Leaving this planet” was the acme of this fusion. Some might think “Intensity” is a better album; personally, I suspect that’s only because Lee Morgan is on it. To me, this is a much more substantial, more gutsy, album. There’s real playing all the way through this album, which runs to just over 80 minutes. As far as I can tell, there’s no coasting anywhere, from anyone. Real playing from real players.

Third, the arrangements. Earland wrote some of the most fabulously exciting arrangements for small horn sections, starting with “Penn relays” in 1969. I imagine his influences were outside jazz. I think he paid attention to what Pee Wee Ellis and Fred Wesley did with James Brown, as well as Kool and the Gang, whose riffing was the sharpest in R&B. But, unlike those bands, he put the ideas, approach and attitude to the service of pure, funky, jazz.

Fourth, this album marks a turning point for Earland. I’ve always thought it was the culmination of everything he’d been developing since “Soul story”. In particular, it’s a giant step forward from his previous album, the soundtrack to “The dynamite brothers”, in which he conducted his first experiments with synthesisers (and how many musicians would use a soundtrack commission to experiment?) The soundtrack cooks hard, but is clearly a first, not quite certain, step. In “Leaving this planet”, Charles’ foot has been firmly planted on the ground and he knows exactly what he wants and how to go about getting it. His next, a session at the 1974 Montreux Festival, suffered, I think, from not having the right musicians with him; in particular, no tenor player.

Then he moved to Mercury. Lots of people think his work went right down at Mercury and then Columbia. I think his work was different. By 1975, Charles was very much into George Clinton. It was that year that Fred Wesley and co had left Brown and gone over to Clinton’s organisation; the year that “Mothership connection” was made. Earland was simply doing what Soul Jazz musicians had been doing for 30 years; relating their music to what was going on in R&B. But whether you think that means a deterioration in quality or simply a different vision, “Leaving this planet” represents the cusp of that change; the high point of what he was doing before and, in terms of his use of electronics, the take-off point for what came later. That gives it an interest that goes even beyond the intrinsic interest of the music, which I think is the best he ever made.

This album has never been deleted! The LP version was eventually replaced by a CD. How many jazz albums can you name that have remained in the catalogues for 32 years?

Let me know what you think of this album.

MG

In that little drought of the late 70s, I used to point to this one as "the last great organ album". In a sense, it was, if only because everything that came after that (even Earland's own Muse sides) had a de facto air of "getting back".

From a "serious jazz perspective", I suppose there's flaws aplenty. Joe & Freddy might ramble on a bit, and most all of the tunes go on just a little bit longer than they "should". But at the risk of giving the impression that I hold this type music to a "lower standard", I gotta say that none of that bothers me too awfully much. The shit grooves all the way, and I think it's safe to say that for Earland and his audience, that's grounds for a good, solid "mission accomplished".

There's certainly many "better" "jazz" albums, and there's even "better" organ albums. Yet, over the years, I've pulled this one off the shelf more often than quite a few of those. It's just got that "thing" to it, that vibe, that spirit that makes the "music" less important than the music, if you know what I mean.

And I think you do.

Back in the mid-70's for a little while, I did a Sunday morning jazz show on Temple-Ambler's inhouse station WRFT. I played the heck out of the title track from this album and the title track from Lonnie Liston Smith's 'Expansions'.

Frankly, I'm afraid that , for years, I did not pay any attention to Charles Earland, which I had filed in the section 'no excitement (!).. :blink:

That comes possibly from repeated listenings of the only CD I had from Charles, The Front Burner, which is far from his best ... <_<

I recently got recommendations from members of this forum and bought Black drops, Slammin and Jammin' and "If only one night...which completely changed my mind : Leaving this planet was part of the recommended list but was not available from my usual online shop and I missed it.

After reading this post, I placed my order for Leaving this planet .It is very nice to read such convincing recommendations on this forum : one feels confident it is not going to be a disappointing purchase...

Thanks, MG...!

Great choice! I bought this immediately back then, as it featured some of my favourite players: Harvey Mason, Eddie Henderson, Joe Henderson, and discovered a great Hammond practioner along the way. I began to like earlier, more "conventional" organ albums only much later. This still is my favourite Earland album.

The synth colors sound a little dated now, but I did and still do like the "spaciness" - the takeoff sound at the beginning is still getting at me.

BTW - I think Eddie Henderson finishes a notch above Hubbard on the two numbers where he solos.

Edited by mikeweil

Frankly, I'm afraid that , for years, I did not pay any attention to Charles Earland, which I had filed in the section 'no excitement (!).. :blink:

That comes possibly from repeated listenings of the only CD I had from Charles, The Front Burner, which is far from his best ... <_<

I recently got recommendations from members of this forum and bought Black drops, Slammin and Jammin' and "If only one night...which completely changed my mind : Leaving this planet was part of the recommended list but was not available from my usual online shop and I missed it.

After reading this post, I placed my order for Leaving this planet .It is very nice to read such convincing recommendations on this forum : one feels confident it is not going to be a disappointing purchase...

Thanks, MG...!

Go to your usual online shop immediately and order the Earland CD 'Black Talk', the greatest organ combo album ever made. If that one wasn't at the very top of the recommendations you got from board members, throw those recommendations away and start over. And give 'Front Burner' another try - it's a good one.

Go to your usual online shop immediately and order the Earland CD 'Black Talk', the greatest organ combo album ever made. If that one wasn't at the very top of the recommendations you got from board members, throw those recommendations away and start over. And give 'Front Burner' another try - it's a good one.

I used to have the double vinyl, bought soon after it's release. Looked at it in the bin for several weks before I took the plunge. Sold it a few years back in one of my periodic clear outs as it wasn't earning its keep. A borderline decision.

As I recall a couple of standout tracks but some less compelling stuff too (my opinion only).

Now how much is there actually missing, and from which tracks?

I don't have the CD any more, so I can't be positive. Altogether, however, it's a minute or two, shared between three tracks. Not really too significant, unless you're really used to hearing the way the LP versions end.

MG

Guest akanalog

i always liked "dynamite brothers" better.

i don't find it tentative. in fact i find it more integrated as far as the synths and funky elements than "leaving this planet".

i guess "leaving this planet" is a more mature effort as attempts are made to synthesize more traditional jazz-ish elements with the newer styles into a "fusion" whereas "dynamite brothers" is more of just a funky fusion thing. but i like the production on the earlier album better, as well as the compositions.

i think the "montreux" one suffers most from jon faddis. that guy just had no idea what was required of him on that set. he was playing as if he was part of a 1966 "good time crowd pleasing" organ trio, all blustery high notes and stupid song quotations. by the time of this set, earland was pretty deep and could have used some more explorative and soulful players. well anyway, faddis screwed that one up.

i think there is almost too much music on "leaving this planet". too much to digest. if it had been cut down by half (track-wise if not track length-wise) i wonder how i would feel.

as it is, there is some really good stuff. i am not trying to say anything bad. just that i like the soundtrack album better (well also billy hart is on that one!).

i didn't realize brian brake (who shares duties with harvey mason on the AOTW) was such an elusive figure.

If you have the LP, please post the track timings - I will post the CD track timings for comparison!

The big caveat, of course, is that track timings on LP sleeves weren't always accurate (and CDs). Anyway:

Leaving this planet 7.29

Red clay 7.05

Warp factor 8 6.18

Brown eyes 12.50

Asteroid 6.51

Mason's galaxy 7.17

No me esqueca 7.41

Tyner 6.03

Van Jay 8.55

Never ending melody 9.45

MG

Guest akanalog

comparing the two versions of "never ending melody" on this album and the previous one might be interesting for listeners.

incidentally-talking about the next steps for mr. earland-"upper atlantis" is one of the most underrated funky jams EVER. it is on the "great pyramid" album-found very cheaply at used LP stores.

comparing the two versions of "never ending melody" on this album and the previous one might be interesting for listeners.

incidentally-talking about the next steps for mr. earland-"upper atlantis" is one of the most underrated funky jams EVER. it is on the "great pyramid" album-found very cheaply at used LP stores.

I think Earland's Mercury material is somewhat misunderstood. "Phire" on "Odessey" is another good jam, as are a number of tracks on "Perceptions".

MG

Okay here we go:

Leaving this planet 7.29 - CD same

Red clay 7.05 - CD same

Warp factor 8 6.18 - CD same

Brown eyes 12.50 - CD 11:45

Asteroid 6.51 - CD 6:40

Mason's galaxy 7.17 - CD same

No me esqueca 7.41 - CD same

Tyner 6.03 - CD same

Van Jay 8.55 - CD 8:36

Never ending melody 9.45 - CD same

Edited by mikeweil

Okay here we go:

Leaving this planet 7.29 - CD same

Red clay 7.05 - CD same

Warp factor 8 6.18 - CD same

Brown eyes 12.50 - CD 11:45

Asteroid 6.51 - CD 6:40

Mason's galaxy 7.17 - CD same

No me esqueca 7.41 - CD same

Tyner 6.03 - CD same

Van Jay 8.55 - CD 8:36

Never ending melody 9.45 - CD same

Thanks Mike, I thought there were three.

MG

Guest akanalog

what do you all think of "intensity"?

that is a sleeper album, i think.

very exciting to hear earland spar with billy cobham. the setting really allows cobham to play more interestingly than his CTI work of the time, but not overplay like he would on his own albums.

i would probably rank this one up there with "leaving this planet".

I'm just doing that now. The version on LTP is much more a straight swinger. The one on Dynamite Brothers S/T is a wonderfully funky ride. Earland himself doesn't play particularly differently on the two versions, as far as I can see, but the arrangement on the S/T is tremendous - particularly if you play it very loud! Sometimes the arrangement rides all over Charles' solo, though. I'd love to see this film.

MG

what do you all think of "intensity"?

I think it's great. The only thing I don't get is why it says "The Complete

Sessions with Lee Morgan" or something like that on the cover when

three more tracks from those sessions are on the Funk Fantastique CD

(and all of them together easily fit on one CD - I burned myself a CD-R :)).

Edited by Kyo