August 19-25 AOTW - Slide Hampton

John Tapscott

A choice that will extend our appreciation of Max Roach for another week. I ordered this CD 10 days ago in the August Mosaic Singles sale, but it hasn't arrived yet. Hope to have it Monday or Tuesday so I can join in the discussion.

I'm up next week and will extend the memorial even a week further, probably with either 'Members, Don't Get Weary' or 'Deeds, Not Words'.

I was really looking forward to this being a big fan of the Octet. An under appreciated ensemble. I found this one slightly disappointing, somehow it seems a bit disjointed doesn't quite hang togeother like the best of the Atlantics. Sister Salvation is still my choice as the best by Hampton from this period - it really packs a punch. It's still a keeper though and I think this completes the reissue of all the Octet recordings if the rather unsatisfactory Fresh Sounds issue is included.

Edited by JohnS

I'm up next week and will extend the memorial even a week further, probably with either 'Members, Don't Get Weary' or 'Deeds, Not Words'.

I have both but would prefer "Members" which happened to listen to earlier today - I think it has some unique features that only Max could have conceived.

After this album of the week went up, I thought I must give it a play again. I agree ,I like the octet recordings, such a great sound. I also want to thank you because I pull out Slide Hampton and the Jazz Masters, Dedicated To Diz. I had forgotten how much I enjoy this album. I have been playing it ever since.

post-1762-1187714283.jpg

Having received "Drum Suite" only yesterday, I've given it a couple of spins. It's the first time I've heard it, or any of Slide's Octet recordings. After the first listen I was mildly disappointed that I'd chosen it. It doesn't go in the "significant" category (which I feel an AOTW should be), but rather in the "enjoyable" category. But now having accepted that, I would say that it is a decent and enjoyable session, perhaps slightly above average. I was more than a little surprised by the huge sound of the group and by the lack of subtlety in the arrangements.. And that's understandable, really, given that Slide had just come from Maynard's band. The powerful rip through "Our Waltz" is really quite a shock, given the gentle way this tune is usually treated. Nothing gentle about this version. Max is quite outstanding on "Our Waltz" and "The Drum Suite". Enjoy Lateef and Coleman, too. Yes, a decent session, but not quite as outstanding as I'd hoped.