Elvis Costello

Alexander

Costello's latest is out, and it is lovely. It's a little bit classical (although not so much as "The Juliet Letters) and a little bit jazz (Conrad Herwig plays trombone throughout the disc, and Lee Konitz shows up on one track). Very subtle songwriting and very beautiful string arrangements on Costello's part. Recommended.

g05909hsjj2.jpg

Also recently released are Rhino reissues of "Get Happy," "Trust", and "Punch the Clock." I had all of these in the Rykodisc versions, but I upgraded for the additional tracks. I'm enjoying all of them, especially "Trust" which I think I'm really appreciating for the first time.

g02928gjtm0.jpg

g02929vhg2o.jpg

g02927nfq14.jpg

Edited by Alexander

I spent a couple hours with a friend last night listening to nothing but Elvis. What depth to his catalog! My buddy loves Trust and My Aim and I was turning him on to my favorites off Armed Forces and This Years Model. And of course we listened to Get Happy too. One thing that we came away with was that the Attractions were/are one kick-ass band. There are a bunch of tunes where the bass just drives the song at a frantic pace - as does the organ in many spots. EC is a great guitar player too, but what other "punk" would have had the balls to load up his tunes with organ and bass so much. And of course it works, to say the least. His lyrics from this era are outstanding too ... very clever, but with emotional depth and punch too.

Thanks for the heads up on the new one!

Eric

I was just thinking, as I was listening to "Trust" the other day, what an amazing band The Attractions were. What a range of material they could play! Just listening to "Trust" you have country ("Different Finger"), frenetic rockabilly ("Luxemburg"), great pop tunes ("New Lace Sleeves," "Watch Your Step," "Clubland"), "This Year's Model"-esque punk ("Fish n' Chips Paper"), grand piano-based pop ("Shot With His Own Gun"), and uptemp rockers ("Lovers Walk," "From A Whisper To A Scream"). And the Attractions manage to adapt to any musical setting! Amazing! Not the sort of grand-standing that usually attracts the attention of rock fans.

For the past 4 or 5 days I have listened to nothing but the new album (also watched the A&E live broadcast). I think it's good, but there are some things that are lacking and, when compared to something like Painted From Memory, which I consider the greatest pop album of the past 25 years, I think it's that Costello did everything himself "Composed, Arranged and Conducted by Elvis Costello" (although Steve Nieve gets a co-arranger note on one track). He isn't a great orchestrator. He's an amateur. Any number of college kids could do better. If he hired someone with the knowledge/experience/stature of Bacharach, he could have had a much better record. His musicians are outstanding but they are vastly under-used. There are as many as 10 horns on tracks and none have anything worthy to play.

I've read mentions that this is his "jazz" album. I know EC doesn't think that and it's definitely not the case. There are elements from and references to jazz (instrumentation, primarily) but a great deal of the harmonic and melodic conception is not jazz. Which doesn't mean it's not good. It is. There's quite a bit of interesting harmonic motion and modulations, but also some half-baked efforts that don't quite make the cut. Upon my first listen to "Painted From Memory," I raced to transcribe the tunes so that I could better understand what was going on - it was *that* amazing. Just about everything on this album is relatively mundane and doesn't inspire that kind of thing.

There are also some lyrics that are just not of the highest quality. "I wasn't very conversational, except to say that you're sensational." - boring, third-rate, warmed-over Cole Porter - and it stands out like a sore thumb because of the sparse nature of the piece. I do like a lot of that tune (Let Me Tell You About Her), though. The mis-rhyme of "fracture" with "statue" also rubs me the wrong way (particularly when it follows such a great line as "Maybe this is the love song that I refused to; Write her when I loved her like I used to."

Instrumentally, the arrangements are quite dull - there are a few instrumental sections that sound as if someone forgot to turn up the fader for the soloist - there's not much of interest happening. Compare this to the Bacharach album where there is always something going on, at various levels.

There are some very fine moments, to be sure. The tune "Still" is very nice and the Konitz solo on "Someone Took the Words Away" really adds a lot. Too bad there weren't more solos - the only other one is by Lew Soloff that is pretty average but the crackling condensation towards the end drags it down another notch. If it were a real one-of-a-kind masterpiece, I'd accept such a flaw, but it's not. Another take would have been just as good and the water key could be emptied.

I'll listen to this record over and over again, I'm sure. But I feel there is a lot of potential, but it's only partially realized. I felt similarly about "For the Stars" - some great parts, some excruciatingly boring parts. BTW, I saw a TV broadcast of that stuff - anyone know if that's available on DVD?

I've enjoyed the remasters - haven't been able to listen to them as intently (I was focusing on the Yes remasters that came out recently - some amazing stuff there).

Mike

Also recently released are Rhino reissues of "Get Happy," "Trust", and "Punch the Clock." I had all of these in the Rykodisc versions, but I upgraded for the additional tracks. I'm enjoying all of them, especially "Trust" which I think I'm really appreciating for the first time.

Wow...I don't know. It wasn't that long ago that I picked up the Rykodisc CDs, "for the extra tracks", as Costello is one of the few cases where I actually have the original vinyl. I don't know if I can buy 'em again...

Good to see 'Painted From Memory' getting a positive mention. It was never off my player for weeks after it's release. ' Armed Forces' is still my favourite by a nose, it is available here ,in Japan, with extra tracks, as are almost all the others. Almost Blue has eight additional tracks. I'll put the new one on my must hear list.

Completely understand the concern about rebuying after the Rykodisc versions - but it's really worth your while - take "Get Happy" - the original LP had 20 tracks, the Rykodisc had 30, the Rhino has 50 (FIFTY).

Unfortunately, there are some reissues where the Rhino does NOT include everything that was on the Rykodisc. On Punch The Clock, for example, EC decided to replace "inferior lo-fi" bonus live tracks with demo versions ("Everyday I Write the Book" and "The World and His Wife"). Unfortunately, this is a case where I owned only the LP but NOT the Rykodisc (so now I'll scour the used bins waiting for someone to unload a Rykodisc). There was no timing issue that would have prevented everything being included, since these reissues are 2-CD sets. (At regular 1-CD prices, btw - another incentive for re-purchasing).

Mike

Great to see some EC fans on the board. I was a huge fan up through Imperial Bedroom and have more/less ignored him since. I have "Extreme Honey" - the "best of" from the WB years. So, aside from Painted from Memory (which I just snagged), where to start in the post-Columbia years?

Thanks,

Eric

Edited by Eric

Your question is a little ambiguous - Imperial Bedroom is 1982, there were 4 more Columbia albums - Punch the Clock, Goodbye Cruel World, Blood & Chocolate, and King of America. GCW and KoA have not seen Rhino reissue.

Following those came the WB period - Spike, Mighty Like a Rose, The Juliet Letters, Brutal Youth, Kojak Variety, All This Useless Beauty. And the short album with Bill Frisell, Deep Dead Blue (not to be confused with the Frisell album The Sweetest Punch - a jazz version of Painted From Memory on which Costello guests on two tracks).

I think of the WB things, I'd recommend All This Useless Beauty. And Spike - both those have 17 bonus tracks. And Mighty Like A Rose. Uh oh. I don't know if I'm the best person to pare things down - I have it all and have no regrets.

After the WB stuff comes the Universal period - Painted From Memory, For The Stars (with Anne Sofie von Otter), When I Was Cruel, the odds & ends album Cruel Smile, and now North.

Mike

I'm a big Costello fan too. I would also recommend the Rhino reissues. I've had both the Columbia and Rykodisc issues also.

Growing up, I never was a big Elvis Costello fan. I liked his hits, but I had never ventured into his albums. I bought Spike when it came out, but it didn't really grab me. The album that made me a HUGE fan was Mighty Like a Rose. I saw him on the subsequent tour (beard and all) and was blown away. I think I learned more about how to sing from listening to that cd.

I have everything he's put out, but I haven't heard north yet. I'm a little nervous that it may be Juliet Letters Part 2. My favorite Costello album is Imperial Bedroom, but all his previous albums are also killer. I've really been getting into Get Happy lately.

It's cool to see so many Elvis fans around here.

:rsmile:

No worries - North is nothing like Juliet Letters. Brodsky Quartet plays on one track, but it's "Still" which is probably the most pop-ish of all. As dark and cold as JL is, North is the opposite.

sample Juliet Letters - "Eternity stinks, my darling. That's no joke; Don't waste your precious time pretending you're heartbroken "

sample North - "I will be there; If the days bring torments and trials; To close the distances only measured in miles"

Mike

Originally hadn't planned on replacing my Rykodisc of Get Happy, but I've heard nothing but good reviews about the second disc of the Rhino reissue, so it looks like it'll be worth the upgrade.

I'm happy there's been good talk about Trust, but that was one I could never get into. Personally, I think it's half of a good album, with the strong tracks ("Clubland," "Watch Your Step," and "New Lace Sleeves") being outstanding favorites. But the rest of it just never grabbed me.

I'm also with Mike, that Painted from Memory is one of the finest pop albums of the last twenty-five years, if not more. That one still moves me.

Of the post-"Imperial Bedroom" material, I'd recommend "King of America" (not yet reissued by Rhino), "Blood and Chocolate," "Spike," and "All This Useless Beauty." If you like these, I would then recommend "Mighty Like A Rose," "Brutal Youth," and "When I Was Cruel." If you're still jonesing for more EC, then get "Kojack Variety" and "Cruel Smile" (the odds and ends collection that came out after "When I Was Cruel." Think of it as the "bonus disc" of extras that accompany that album).

The only Costello album I don't have (aside from "Deep Dead Blue," which I've been trying to get for ages) is "The Juliet Letters" which I got rid of the day after I bought it. I HATED it. Even though "Punch The Clock" and "Goodbye Cruel World" are commonly thought of as Costello's all-time worst recordings, I have to admit to having a soft spot for both. Of the two, I like "Clock" better because it's a catchier album overall. I'm glad that they elected to keep the liner-notes from the Rykodisc edition, by the way, as they were the best he'd written up till that point.

Having had the Rykodisc edition of "Clock," I don't miss the live versions of "Everyday I Write the Book" and "The World and His Wife." The versions on the Rhino edition use the same arrangements, and they're studio recordings which makes them sound a lot better.

I'm happy there's been good talk about Trust, but that was one I could never get into. Personally, I think it's half of a good album, with the strong tracks ("Clubland," "Watch Your Step," and "New Lace Sleeves") being outstanding favorites. But the rest of it just never grabbed me.

Big Al, I used to feel the same way about "Trust," but listening to it this time through has really made a difference for me. I like it more now than I think I ever have before.

The great thing for me about this reissue series is that I had never heard these albums before. Aside from All This Useless Beauty the only things I had before were the two greatest hits collections. So after that, everything so far has been a revelation.

Eric, my answer to your question would be, get Brutal Youth, as it matches the drive, if not the psirit of his earliest works. It's raw unadulterated and passionate, not unlike When I was Cruel from last year...everything else can be hit or miss.

I did pick up Spike when it came out, and really didn't care for it. I tried it a few years later and absolutely loved it. I guess I had to catch up!

I don't know if anything after Get Happy can approach it and the earlier stuff for me; after all the later stuff would have to contend with my own nostalgic feelings for those LPs, and the age I was at then...

My post-Imperial Bedroom favorites are King of America and Brutal Youth. Took me a while to warm up to both, but they repay the effort in my experiance.

I saw Costello on Letterman a few days ago, but though he and Dave talked neither mentioned the fact that Lee Konitz is featured on the new album. My wife was not surprised (and I wasn't REALLY surprised) but I had to say, "Well, I would have brought it up," to which she of course gave the stock reply, Not-everyone's-a-jazz-fan.

Alexander, I actually kept The Juliet Letters for about a year before finally getting rid of it. But I always thought Punch the Clock was unfairly maligned.

Big Al, I used to feel the same way about "Trust," but listening to it this time through has really made a difference for me. I like it more now than I think I ever have before.

Y'know, this happened to me with the recent reissue of IbMePdErRoIoAmL. I'd never really liked it before, then picked up the recent issue for the extra tracks, and ended up enjoying it more than ever before. Guess I'll pick this up when I Get Happy!!! :g

Konitz plays only one solo on one track. It's a cameo, not so much a feature.

What is a little curious is that the two solos (Konitz & Soloff) are both the *final* segments of the respective pieces. The song is over and then comes the solos, sort of like afterthoughts or instrumental reprises. Most times the solo is more integrated into the structure (a la those 1970s spots by Mike Brecker with James Taylor, Phil Woods with Billy Joel, or even 1983's Chet Baker on "Shipbuilding").

Just rewatched the A&E broadcast. Man, that band is sloppy. It's kind of a drag. I guess they're trying to be boisterous and energetic, but I miss the tightness and precision they used to exemplify. Also, while they are to be *seriously* commended for keeping a huge working repertoire (unlike just about every other live band that makes a limited setlist for a tour and sticks to it unwaveringly), the garage band sound makes everything sound the same. All the variety that was present on the studio recordings gets homogenized into a wash of noise. Backing vocals would add so much but even when they were being sung, they were kept so low in the mix it didn't make a difference. It's not just the A&E production. Although I haven't seen them live on this or the last tour, I have heard live recordings from the Cruel tour and the same sonic approach seemed to be used.

Mike

• 2 weeks later...

I must say EC was no go for me for many years until King Of America came out,still a favourite but can't say I'm an avid fan.Tramp The Dirt Down off Spike is a gorgeous tune and yes,I was fully with him on the lyric side too at the time(now she's long deposed and old and frail I wish her no ill,but at the time...).Painted From Memory is wonderful,the Frisell set worked well I thought-didn't know of the existence of Deep Deep Blue,must check it out.The new one looks like one to get when I have some spare cash,whatever anybody says about him he's never been afraid to take a chance.Who's that Krall woman he's with now tho'?

I'm late into this discussion - been hectic lately.

Obviously you can tell I'm a fan. TRUST isn't my very favorite EC album but it makes for a great avatar and it certainly is one of his best - I still have the old Rykodisc reissue, which sounds superb (in general I'm not convinced the Rhinos sound as good actually - I traded in a Ryko of IMPERIAL BEDROOM before really comparing them closely and I now actually regret it). However, it would be nice to have the extra discs of extras. Either way, a great one.

Personally of the new reissues I've most been enjoying GET HAPPY! I wouldn't put it up with my "top flight" Elvis albums, but having only had a whipped vinyl copy - and the sides were so long the grooves were small and the sound quality was not good toward the label - I feel like in many ways I'm hearing the songs for the first time. Scattered among some mundane stuff are some of his most succinct and finest tunes - "New Amsterdam," "King Horse," and "Posession" certainly belong in that category.

In closing, my "must have" Elvis Costello:

THIS YEAR'S MODEL

ARMED FORCES (a bit less consistently riveting than the others I've listed here, but the high points are WAY high)

TRUST

IMPERIAL BEDROOM (sounded like such a departure at the time, but in retrospect this is actually closer to capturing his essence than any other of his records - staggeringly good)

KING OF AMERICA (just a hair behind, truly wonderful)

BRUTAL YOUTH (a later career sleeper - don't miss it)

This sampling covers pretty much all his facets well up until his latest era. IMPERIAL and KING I'd rank within my Top 20 rock albums of all time.

• 3 weeks later...

I was lucky enough to attend the last EC & the Attractions performance. It was part of Seattle's Bumbershoot festival in 96'. You had to buy a seperate ticket though. Man! He announced it as their last show at the beginning and said they were gonna 'play a while'. A WHILE? The show went on for over 3 1/2 hours with no intermission. It was the last show of the tour and I would have thought that EC's voice would have been a little shot. But he made the rafters shake! He did a version of 'I Want You' that gave me goose bumbs! I snuck out of my shitty seats and pushed my way to the front. It was probably the best show I have ever seen....They did over 10 encores. The crowd kept callin them back. It was incredible!

Can't wait the hear 'North'.

Just found a review of that show here:

http://ezone.org/ez/e9/articles/goldman/ec.html

Edited by Johnny E

Great live performer, glad you brought this up Johnny E. One of MY personal favorite pop shows was when he did the limited-run acoustic tour in support of KING OF AMERICA - the show I saw was at the San Jose Civic Center. The playing and singing was top notch - the man really doesn't need anything more than his acoustic guitar and voice. He slipped in a lot of nice little things, like a medley of "New Amsterdam" with "You've Got to Hide Your Love Away," the latter an obvious source of inspiration for the former. He also incorporated that game show song wheel that he used more famously on the BLOOD AND CHOCOLATE tour. Fondest memory of that: one of the people randomly called up from the audience to spin the wheel was named, as it turned out, Allison! Elvis had her spin, but when it didn't come up on the song of the same name, he good-naturedly turned the wheel himself until that title came up and played a killer rendition.

A magical show.