Art Farmer - Art Worker

king ubu

I'm currently having my second listen to Art Farmer's "Art Worker", a live disc on Moon Records.

Several things are pretty strange:

Titles:

Delphine

Stars

Erwägung

Orientierung

Eau Sovage (should this be "Sauvage"?)

Gratuliere

Ala Nova

I know Farmer lived in Europe (Vienna?) for quite some time, but was he in Europe as far back as 1968 (that's the date given) AND giving his tunes such strange german titles? (Dolphins, Consideration, I Congratulate...)

Then the applause on this "live recording": sound very dubbed in, to me.

Then the the music: the first three tunes sound like Farmer alright. The fourth is a strange groove number (sounding like a Lou Donaldson tune, "The Scorpion"? I don't have that disc to check, but it sure sounds very familiar. Cheap ugly electric piano and maybe electric bass, too). Then tune #5 is absorbing freer sounds (octave trombone - by Jimmy Cleveland!?!).

The musicians:

Art Farmer (t, flh)

Ernie Royal (t)

Jimmy Cleveland (tb)

Oscar Estelle (as, ts, bari) (never heard of him)

Harold Wabern (sic!) (p, not listed on el p but playing one on #4)

Jimmy Woode (b, unlisted on el b, but maybe playing it on #4)

Roy McCurdy (d)

Anyone has this disc? Anyone knows more about it?

Is the personnel correct? Is there a more exact date, and maybe a place of recording? What's up with the tunes? Are they really titled as I listed them?

By the way, just finished another listen to #4 - the tune's faded while the applause begins - this sreams BAD EDIT!

However strange this whole disc might be - the rather traditional tunes (#1-4 and 6-7) are very fine.

ubu

The personnel reads similar to Farmer's first session as a leader for Prestige on July 2, 1953:

Art Farmer tp

Jimmy Cleveland tb

Oscar Estelle as, bs

Clifford Solomon ts

Quincy Jones p, arr

Monk Montgomery el-b

Sonny Johnson d

Work of Art 5:46

The little bandmaster 4:06

Mau Mau 5:15

Up in Quincy's Room 4:00

(only four titles recorded)

... or the next session for Prestige on June 7, 1954:

Art Farmer tp

Jimmy Cleveland tb

Charlie Rouse ts

Danny Bank bs

Horace Silver p

Percy Heath b

Arthur Taylor d

Wildwood 2:55

Evening in Paris 2:41

Elephant Walk 3:25

Tiajuana 4:52

That CD smells so much like a bootleg it's hard to endure ..... are there any composer credits? (Not that I tend to believe them)

Edited by mikeweil

I've been trying to discover the truth behind this record for a long time, since it first came out in the '80s on a Lotus LP.

According to the composers' credits - and to a small bit of research on my side - I think that the following musicians are featured:

Art Farmer (?), trumpet, or

Dusko Gojkovic, trumpet

Robert Politzer, trumpet

Erich Kleinschuster, trombone

Hans Solomon, alto sax, tenor sax, bass clarinet

Fritz Pauer, piano, electric piano

Erich Bachtragl, drums

The identity of the bass player is a little more difficult. It could be Jimmy Woode, of course, who lived in Vienna then; it could be Peter Marshall, who played with all those musicians at that time, it could be Rudolf Hansen.

I have the feeling that Farmer is not on this record, and that the main trumpet soloist could be Gojkovic

I think that the recording took place in Vienna; 1969? 1970? 1972?

Take all the above as a fist step in working out this mystery...

Best, Luca

There's another possibility I dug out while browsing a Carmell Jones page:

"On January 9, 1969 Carmell Jones played at Vienna´s Austrophon Studio with the ERICH KLEINSCHUSTER SEXTET: ROBERT POLITZER (tp, fl-h), ERICH KLEINSCHUSTER (tb), HANS SALOMON (as, ts, b-cl), FRITZ PAUER (p), JIMMY WOODE (B) and ERIC BACHTRÄGL (dr), the show was broadcasted by ORF radio."

The mystery goes on...

best, Luca

Could it be the same session as 'Erich Kleinschuster - Oberwater Messe' released on German Columbia LP C067-33036 and I think recorded in 1970? This disk has both Farmer and Pauer on it.

I had thought about that, but I have never seen that LP. The Farmer disc, however, does not sound too much "ecclesiastical", as the titles of the Kleinschuster "Mass" would suggest: "Introitus", "Gloria", "Alleluja", and so on.

Best, Luca

• 11 months later...

I just listened to an illegitimate copy of the Moon album. I was thinking that I should try to find the real source, but I realize that may prove difficult after a glance at this thread. I'm also uncertain Art Farmer is even present at the session, since the trumpet soloist does not exactly sound like him.

The dubbed-in applause (quite evindently from a poorly recorded pre-war concert) is not even faded in, but created by someone lazily starting a reel-to-reel tape, or even an LP, during the final chord of each tune.

[Edit for syntax]

Edited by Daniel A

How about these two sessions?

1970 January 15, Austrophon Studio, Vienna

DUSKO GOJKOVIC & THE ERICH KLEINSCHUSTER SEXTET

Dusko Gojkovic, Robert Politzer (tp), Erich Kleinschuster (tb), Hans Salomon (ts,bcl), Fritz Pauer (p,elp), Jimmy Woode (b), Erich Bachtraegl (dr)

1. MADISON WALK 4:34 

2. OLD FISHERMAN'S DAUGHTER 5:46

3. IT'S ABOUT TIME 5:45

4. NIGHTS IN SKOPLJE 5:16

5. TELL IT LIKE IT IS 5:27

6. SEGA SE KARAME 7:27

1969 December 2, Vienna, (Austrophon-Studio)

DUSKO GOJKOVIC & ERICH KLEINSCHUSTER SEXTET:

Dusko Gojkovic (flh), Robert Politzer (tp,flh), Hans Salomon (as,ts,bcl), Fritz Pauer (p,elp), Jimmy Woode (b), Erich Bachtraegl (dr), Fritz Ozmec (perc)

1. FORMEL (Kleinschuster) - 7:30

2. A DREAM REALIZED (Pauer) - 5:32

3. GUESS, I'LL HANG MY TEARS OUT TO DRY (Cahn-Styne) - 4:45

4. BOSSA FOR PAVEL (Salomon) - 3:26

5. MOUSTACHE (Salomon) - 2:36

6. RHYTHM ROCKET (Kleinschuster) - 2:38

They are listed among "Unreleased recordings" at Dusko Gojkovic's web site.

The track timings do not match any of the tracks on "Art Worker", but that doesn't necessarily mean anything when it comes to unreleased and bootleg recordings I guess. The 1969 session is listed as the Gojkovic & Kleinschuster Sextet, but lists seven people, none of which is Kleinschuster. The instrumentation on "Art Worker" seems to consist of either trumpet/trombone/alto sax, trumpet/trombone/tenor sax, or on one or two tracks possibly two trumpets/trombone/unidentified saxophone.

The timings for "Art Worker" is:

Delphine (4:23)

Stars (4:13)

Erwägung (4:39)

Orientierung (4:02)

Eau Sovage (5:00)

Gratuliere (4:31)

Ala Nova (4:36)

Edited by Daniel A

• 2 years later...

Could it be the same session as 'Erich Kleinschuster - Oberwater Messe' released on German Columbia LP C067-33036 and I think recorded in 1970? This disk has both Farmer and Pauer on it.

This LP is now being offered at eBay.de ( link ) and from the scans it appears that there's a chorus present, which would count that one out (Pauer is also listed as playing only electric piano).

• 3 years later...

bringing this up because of Daniel's thread... a guy from Graz whom I got to "know" via dime a bit has helped solving the mystery... also he sent me the "Art Worker" entry for his (unpublished, I assume) Pauer discography, which reads as follows:

Art Farmer (flh), Robert Politzer (tp), Erich Kleinschuster (tb), Hans Salomon (as,ts), Fritz Pauer (p,elp), Jimmy Woode (b), Erich Bachträgl (dr)

ORF-Studios, Vienna, March 19, 1968

DELPHINE Moon MPL 014-1, MCD 014-2

STARS - -

ERWÄGUNG - -

ORIENTIERUNG - -

EAU SAUVAGE - -

GRATULIERE - -

A LA NOVA - -

Note: This record was issued as by Art Farmer and entitled “Art worker”; the personnel given on the cover is not correct.

I don't think we'll get much closer to the truth than this... this might even be THE truth in this case.

I trust this guy - he's been around for decades, living in an Austrian town and being in touch with ORF guys and music teachers there (which include a few jazz luminaries... still some great teachers there, such as Wayne Darling, Ed Partyka, Karlheinz Miklin, Howard Curtis, Renato Chicco, Dena De Rose and Jim Rotondi).