"Customer of the Year".

Every Friday night, we bake some mint cookies and sit in a circle

around your picture, chanting, "Oh Tom, oh Tom - what would make you

happy?"

After weeks of obsessing, I think we've finally got something that

will make you happy:

The $5 CD sale.

Go to http://www.cdbaby.com/sale

We put over 6000 albums on sale for only $5.

They are some great full-priced CDs that still sell for full price,

but once you have at least three different "$5 specials" in your

shopping cart at the same time, you will see their price drop to just

$5 each.

We did this so you could afford to experiment and get a LOT of new

music at once, so feel free to get as many as you want!

START HERE: http://www.cdbaby.com/sale

--

Derek Sivers, CD Baby

http://www.cdbaby.com/sale

P.S. You look great today! That's a nice shirt on you.

P.P.S. If you want us to never speak to you again, we'll be

heartbroken, but we'll understand some day. Just click this link: [link removed]

Edited by Rooster_Ties

One was a soundtrack to some Ted Kennedy, Jr. movie ("A Special Friendship" or some such), the other was a sampler of some sort. Teo or not...

I figured I can live w/o them, and if I can't, hey - five bucks if I can find a third one to go with it. I'd probably go for this one:

eatough.jpg

Listening to the sound samples, I learned that touching your partner increases the feeling of intimacy. Who knew? :g:g:g:g:g

The cover alone is worth it, but then you add the expert advice about touching and intimacy- who knew? :w

I ordered a couple of blues discs, one Latin & a fusion- at a fiver a pop, I'll experiment. Maybe I should have ordered the orgasm disc to somehow justify the purchase to my wife?i :w:w:g

I reviewed for AAJ last year a CD available from CDBaby called The Tim Collins Quartet Live!

For five bucks I can highly recommend it. Tim Collins is a recent college graduate who plays the vibes. He's not ready to displace Bobby Hutcherson, but if he were based in the heartland instead of New York I think he'd be packing them in, with a steady gig.

CD BABY gets their shit out plenty fast. My order of Tuesday evening arrived yesterday.

15 CDs of Teo Macero, and the first two I've checked out (POP JAZZ & THE BEST OF TEO MACERO) are as diifferent as can be. The first is exactly what it says it is, with the distinct advantage of having expert players, arranging, and production hitting on all cylinders. There's more meat here than a casual listen might suggest, even if the meat is ultra-lean. That's just the nature of the beast, and to berate it for being less than what it intends to be while missing the point that it's a lot more than it could have been is a bit foolish, imo. It's stuff like this that could give Smooth Jazz a GOOD name! And somehow, for some reason, there's a really nice, straight-ahead, Lee Konitz small group cut tucked into the disc.

The second is earlier stuff, and includes Maero's half of the Columbia WHAT'S NEW LP (w/Arft Farmer, Eddie Bert, John LaPorta, a.o.), often cited as the true birth of Third Stream, although to me it sounds like Mingus' Debut/Period stuff fleshed out by more horns and more writing, and flushed out by eliminating the Mingusian perspective and replacing it with the Maceroian. Besides that, there's a bunch of other stuff, the origins of most of which I can't yet trace. There is included, however, Macero's Debut date, which is not included in the Debut box, and which DOES have Mingus on it. There's also some stuff w/Lee Konitz and a string group, and some stuff that includes Bill Evans. Frankly, I knever knew that this stuff xisted, althoug I knew of Macero's "Sounds Of May" (included) vaguely, through reputation. There's soime fadeout/fadein seques STRAIGHT out of JACK JOHNSON in their methodology, only this was in, like, 1955(?). Pretty amazing stuff, actually.

I thnk these recordings might merit a seperate thread if they all turn out to be as interesting and provocative as these first two. Nothing really "essential", but the kind of "parallel universe" music that is easily ignored as long as you haven't heard it. Once you have...

So far, this $10 has proven to quite well spent. Let's see about the other $65.