Sick commercials

Holy Mission Impossible! This has already been causing much trouble for Ford.

Ford Disavows Cat Decapitation Ad

DEARBORN, Mich., April 18, 2004

“The action in the video clip was totally computer-generated, and we would like to assure you that no animal was harmed in its making.”

statement by Ogilvy & Mather Worldwide

(AP) Ford Motor Co. is upset by the release of an Internet commercial that depicts a computer generated cat being decapitated, saying it didn't authorize the proposed ad or its release.

The ad for the Sportka, a hatchback sold in Europe, shows the realistic-looking orange cat climbing on top of the car and curiously poking its head into the open moonroof, The Detroit News reported Sunday.

The moonroof slides closed and the cat struggles briefly to escape before its headless body slides to the ground.

Ford says the clip was conceived without its approval by ad agency Ogilvy & Mather as part of a viral marketing campaign for the Sportka. A type of e-mail marketing, viral marketing is the electronic version of word of mouth — usually inviting the recipients to forward an e-mail to others.

“We find this unauthorized ad totally unacceptable and reprehensible and deplore the fact that it has been unofficially issued,” Ford spokesman Oscar Suris said.

In a statement, Ogilvy & Mather Worldwide said the unapproved and unofficial video clip was leaked April 1 and transmitted by e-mail around the world. The company said the ad wasn't sanctioned by Ogilvy or Ford.

“Both companies find this unofficial advertisement totally unacceptable and reprehensible,” the statement said. “The action in the video clip was totally computer-generated, and we would like to assure you that no animal was harmed in its making.”

“The action in the video clip was totally computer-generated, and we would like to assure you that no animal was harmed in its making.”

statement by Ogilvy & Mather Worldwide

Ok, but you can see the cat's head falling off into the inside of the car.

Some things are sick, but funny in the abstract. When you actually SEE them, they lose the humor that comes from the situation not REALLY happening. They become purely sick.

Computer-genrated or not, this falls into that category for me. Just sick.

Some things are sick, but funny in the abstract. When you actually SEE them, they lose the humor that comes from the situation not REALLY happening. They become purely sick.

huh? I should think this falls into the abstract category. Monty Python-like exaggeration. No one in her right mind would think this was NOT computer generated in this time and age (people in Texas maybe... ;) ).

It's not in the depiction. If it's sick, it's the idea, the script, the arc. There is no gross tasteless bloodshed. It's all very factual. Maybe that pisses you up the wrong leg, the factualness of the story-telling, the way it enhances the impact of what's happening.

huh? I should think this falls into the abstract category. Monty Python-like exaggeration. No one in her right mind would think this was NOT computer generated in this time and age (people in Texas maybe... ;) ).

It's not in the depiction. If it's sick, it's the idea, the script, the arc. There is no gross tasteless bloodshed. It's all very factual. Maybe that pisses you up the wrong leg, the factualness of the story-telling, the way it enhances the impact of what's happening.

I thought it was funny too, but I too see it in a Python-esque way.

I also realize there are a lot of people who don't see it as surreal humor.

I guess there's always at least three sides to every story. :ph34r:

All sick humor is sadisistic, but not all sadism is sick humor.

An obnoxious SOB who gets decapitated by a sunroof, well, yeah, that's funny. A really whiny girlfriend or some such? Yeah, same thing. There, it would be setting up a revenge scenario that I could see the humor in.

But a plain ol' cat? Sorry. Doesn't do it for me. If the cat had been set up to have been a really EVIL cat in someway, like clawing the upholstery or something like that, yeah, then I could laugh. But this poor little thing was just hanging out, jumped up on the car (which is grounds enough for execution w/some people I know, but I'm not one of them), stuck it's head in (ditto), and the evil car (it LURED the cat over to it) bit its head off.

Not funny to me at all. Not because it's "cruel", but just because it's not funny unless pure sadism makes you laugh, and for me, it doesn't. There's nowhere near enough context or nuance in the setup, and it's not even TWO-dimensional in the execution. Just plain Dice Clay-ish - "Here kitty-kitty... WHACK!!!"

Some people thought Dice Clay was a riot. I thought he was an idiot. All fire, no heat.

Different strokes!

Pahooh. there's LOADS of stories to think up about why the car would want to revenge itself upon the cat. Think something up, place the punchline the clip provides at the end. There you are. For people who enjoy out of context Charlie Parker or Frank Zappa solos, this is a tough public. Some imagination and some utter abstraction is called for. "Curiosity killed the cat," anyone? No one ever complained about that, but then it is *only* a figure of speach.... :w^_^

It's a commercial for a car.

A FORD, no less!

The car hates cats. So if YOU hate cats enough to lure them over to you and then decapitate them, THIS is the car for YOU! That's the only message I get from this advertisement. At least the pigeon ad, which I DID find funny, had a context. Pigeons shit on things. It's what they're famous for. But - the pigeon was not overtly killed. Hell, it might have just been knocked senseless for all we can tell. But the cat's freakin' head FALLS OFF in plain sight!

Sure, I could imagine any number of contexts for the cat deserving its fate. THEN it would be funny to me. But in a commercial (any work, really, but ESPECIALLY in a commercial, where the start-to-finish story arc is usally the key to its successful mass appeal), that context should either be explicitly provided or else implicitly suggested in some way. None was provided here. It's a crude concept crudely executed.

All I see is a car that bites a cat's head off for no other reason than it's a fucked-up piece of malevolent machinery.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

Not.

Edited by JSngry

But in a commercial (any work, really, but ESPECIALLY in a commercial, where the start-to-finish story arc is usally the key to its successful mass appeal), that context should either be explicitly provided or else implicitly suggested in some way. None was provided here. It's a crude concept crudely executed.

Man, that's OLDfashioned! :g

we live in post-post-post-modern times. Things do not need to relate to other things anymore once again.

The success of many a commercial is based on its utter irrelevance to anything, not even the product itself. This is the MTV age all over again! <_<

it at least has drawn your attention BIG TIME; mission accomplished.

Now where is this Sportka sold? I guess just in Europe. The commercial never made to any market. If it did I think many would have something to say against it. Now, I wonder if Ford will keep the ad agency that did this?

Why should Ford not keep this agency? That clip reached a whole lot of people all over the world (no matter how many have something against it). Like couw said: mission accomplished. I'm not sure what you mean with "the commercial never made it to any market."

But in a commercial (any work, really, but ESPECIALLY in a commercial, where the start-to-finish story arc is usally the key to its successful mass appeal), that context should either be explicitly provided or else implicitly suggested in some way. None was provided here. It's a crude concept crudely executed.

Man, that's OLDfashioned! :g

we live in post-post-post-modern times. Things do not need to relate to other things anymore once again.

The success of many a commercial is based on its utter irrelevance to anything, not even the product itself. This is the MTV age all over again! <_<

it at least has drawn your attention BIG TIME; mission accomplished.

Post-post-post-modernism is a context in and of itself.

This commercial lacked even that.

The Ford Ka's are sold in Europe ... I believe they're competition for the DCX Smart vehicles, if anyone's familiar with those ... probably too small to appeal to U.S. drivers.

Regarding the ad, I'm with Rockefeller. And for all we know, it WAS authorized by Ford ... there have been a number of these "outrageous" ads for different companies that generate a lot of brand awareness and then the company tries to distance themselves from them in this way ... it's almost getting to be routine. Has anyone seen the Puma oral sex ad?

Cat footprints on cars are about the same as pigeon poop. I'm sure there are some more up their sleeves - hopefully the Sportka can do battle with a big ol SUV, calmy deflect an erratn shopping cart back into it's corral, poke the eyes out of an idiot teenager who flashes the finger or swiftly scoop up a nut hauling squirrel and flick him to the side of the road. Doing it's own kind of Astin-Martin-passive-aggressive schtik.

That commercial is original stuff and beautifully done! :tup Next thing we know they'll be taking Warner Brothers cartoons and editing out all the good stuff, oh wait...

I'm not sure what you mean with "the commercial never made it to any market."

If you read the webpage, it was never ment to be released.

In a statement, Ogilvy & Mather Worldwide said the unapproved and unofficial video clip was leaked April 1 and transmitted by e-mail around the world. The company said the ad wasn't sanctioned by Ogilvy or Ford.

“Both companies find this unofficial advertisement totally unacceptable and reprehensible,” the statement said. “The action in the video clip was totally computer-generated, and we would like to assure you that no animal was harmed in its making.”