German store offers...

tonym

Blue Note RVGs at 6.99 Euro, OJC remasters at 4.99 and SACD Hybrids of Riverside, Fantasy etc. titles at 14.99 Euro.

Zwetausendeins --- scroll down a bit

The postage is also very cheap within EU.

Happy browsing!

this jazz god that i know sent me a link to that sire, he said he scored some good deals there on monk's riverside box set among other things, something like 25 wacky euros, couldn't find it listed though. Sadly the shipping to that states is so much.

Edited by Saxophone__Vagina

Thanks for the feedback. I actually received the Evans Riverside set from them during their last sale and it sounds as good (or bad!) as the original ZYX discs. I'm content with that.

As for CC BNs; well, that's all I've managed to get hold of so far in this country. I'm not sure of an alternative to the latest reissues. I'm in need of enlightenment regarding this.

Cheers.

Thanks for the feedback. I actually received the Evans Riverside set from them during their last sale and it sounds as good (or bad!) as the original ZYX discs. I'm content with that.

As for CC BNs; well, that's all I've managed to get hold of so far in this country. I'm not sure of an alternative to the latest reissues. I'm in need of enlightenment regarding this.

Cheers.

You cannot get any non-copy-controlled EMI stuff except if you order from the US. No other way.

The old ZYX remasters were not their own, as far as I know, but Fantasy's. ZYX started to fuck up things when they began their digipack 20bit reissue series. And obviously no one really listens the them in stores, as they are more and more replacing the older (and often better) CDs remastered by Fantasy (and manufactered by ZYX using the Fantasy remastering).

ubu

Blue Note RVGs at 6.99 Euro, OJC remasters at 4.99 and SACD Hybrids of Riverside, Fantasy etc. titles at 14.99 Euro.

Zwetausendeins --- scroll down a bit

The postage is also very cheap within EU.

Happy browsing!

this jazz god that i know sent me a link to that sire, he said he scored some good deals there on monk's riverside box set among other things, something like 25 wacky euros, couldn't find it listed though. Sadly the shipping to that states is so much.

That box set sale took place when ZYX decided to get rid of their cheap versions of various box sets, around a year ago. (I managed to get two Bill Evans sets, the Pepper, both Tatums and the Monk, some without booklets, but all of that for less than 100 Euros!!!)

ubu

Thanks Ubu. :tup

welcome!

I think the merits of the ZYX 20bit remasters were discussed here and there - I'd like to have a list of "safe" ones, as they really are available cheap, but some of them are so crappy, and some are omitting alternates or additional music, too.

ubu

John, thanks - that's the same thread Claude linked above. I re-read it. My ears are not really all too well equipped to hear the small differences, mostly as I cannot compare to any other release.

So if anyone has additions to that list, please post it there, or here!

ubu

What's the problem with those copy protected Blue Notes - sound quality? My girlfriend bought a couple of those copy protected BNs last weekend which she made dubs of for her car.

She made dubs of copy-protected discs? Without any problem? How do they sound - no clicks, distortion or whatever?

Edited by J.A.W.

Without any problem? How do they sound - no clicks, distortion or whatever?

Without any problem. No clicks, etc. They sound just fine to these ears.

A friend of mine did this with Nero, too. Don't ask me how it works, though. I might try with EAC, too.

ubu

What's the problem with those copy protected Blue Notes - sound quality? My girlfriend bought a couple of those copy protected BNs last weekend which she made dubs of for her car.

as the baked in mistakes will gear up the correction on your player, there is bound to be some change in sound. Whether it can be heard is a different matter of course. A good CDWriter will correct the mistakes and burn you a clean copy that will play better than the original in the sense that error correction is no longer needed when the disk plays.

BlueRein has mentioned that copy corrected conns played with less "air" around the instruments than the non-protected ones.

EDIT many posts since I started to write this message, let me add: if you make a copy of the disk it will sound the same as the original copy protected one, be it that the error correction of your CDWriter has been used. Again, whether there is anything can be heard in that department is a different matter.

Edited by couw

BlueRein has mentioned that copy corrected conns played with less "air" around the instruments than the non-protected ones.

Ahhh, less air. Unless one can prove, that one actually notices differences (blind A/B test), I don't buy into these "less air" stories.

I did hear differences on high-end systems.

Ahhh, less air. Unless one can prove, that one actually notices differences (blind A/B test), I don't buy into these "less air" stories.

I did hear differences on high-end systems.

Did you do a listening test? How was it set up? Something like the PC ABX listening test?

A good CDWriter will correct the mistakes and burn you a clean copy that will play better than the original in the sense that error correction is no longer needed when the disk plays.

I'm not sure if this is true: http://www.cdrfaq.org/faq02.html#S2-17

at least the baked in mistakes are no longer baked in; Or do you get a copy protected CD if you use a disk-copy command? Does it try to start up mp3 tracks when you play such a copy using your computer CDdrive? My idea was that if you drag&drop the tracks only, the CDR drive will correct on read-out and the Writer will burn the corrected tracks. I have seen some graphs somewhere on the net that illustrated this.

Does it try to start up mp3 tracks when you play such a copy using your computer CDdrive?

The copies behave like any other CD-Rs or non-copy protected CDs. I'm in the mood to buy a copy protected CD today - any recommendations?

Edit: it seems we meant something different re "error correction."

Edited by rockefeller center

That box set sale took place when ZYX decided to get rid of their cheap versions of various box sets, around a year ago. (I managed to get two Bill Evans sets, the Pepper, both Tatums and the Monk, some without booklets, but all of that for less than 100 Euros!!!)

ubu

So do you think there is any chance of me picking up the monk riverside set up cheap from somewhere? or have the cheap versions long sold out?

ubu

So do you think there is any chance of me picking up the monk riverside set up cheap from somewhere? or have the cheap versions long sold out?

You might find them on Ebay. Try German Ebay. I think it might be a bit more expensive, but you might try.

ubu

ubu

You might find them on Ebay. Try German Ebay. I think it might be a bit more expensive, but you might try.

ubu

just checked, nothing there now.