• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Kenny Burrell "Midnight Blue" BST-84123 Liberty,rvg. In my Blue Note top 10. "Chitlins Con Carne" has been covered many times by jazz and bluesmen, This is right up there with Jimmy Dawkins, the congas add great color.

Horace Silver "Cape Verdean Blues" BST-84220, blue/black,rvg. Strong mid 60's effort from Silver and co. I prefer Blue to Woody but it swings hard nevertheless.

Phillip Wilson's Esoteric on Hat (duo with Olu Dara). Next up is Phillip's Circle lp with Leo Smith and Johnny Dyani.

Thanks to Leeway for sending me in this direction.

Thanks Chuck. Glad I could contribute, especially since it is more often the other way around, picking up ideas and info from your direction. I'll join you on the Wilson album on Circle, "Fruits."

11062848.jpg

Charles Tyler Ensemble. ESP-Disk 1029 LP. Not sure, but I think believe my copy is the original issuance; the cover image seems to have been changed later. Or else this is some kind of variant. Picture below is the front cover. The back cover of the LP sleeve shows Tyler leaping about on a rooftop. Album has green label, ESP Disk, 290 West End Ave NYC address. LP sleeve has the Esperanto blurb, and a Krumville, NY address. Have not been able to find exact discographical info, so if you now, let me know. The Ensemble is Tyler, Ronald Jackson, Henry Grimes, and Joe Friedman.

1029.jpg

Charles Tyler Ensemble. ESP-Disk 1029 LP. Not sure, but I think believe my copy is the original issuance; the cover image seems to have been changed later. Or else this is some kind of variant. Picture below is the front cover. The back cover of the LP sleeve shows Tyler leaping about on a rooftop. Album has green label, ESP Disk, 290 West End Ave NYC address. LP sleeve has the Esperanto blurb, and a Krumville, NY address. Have not been able to find exact discographical info, so if you now, let me know. The Ensemble is Tyler, Ronald Jackson, Henry Grimes, and Joe Friedman.

1029.jpg

Thought I bought my copy - cover below - when it came out. You seem to have a rarity.

1029large.jpg

Bruyninckx says Feb 4, 1966. You must have an early "limited" version. Can you scan the pic on the back?

I've been trying to get over the technological hurdles: file either too big or can't use extension. Let's see if this works (upper 2/3 of back cover):

post-91-0-78994700-1313631932_thumb.jpeg

1029.jpg

Thought I bought my copy - cover below - when it came out. You seem to have a rarity.

1029large.jpg

Is your back cover the same as the attachment in my post above? If not, what is it?

Edited by Leeway

My front is the same as Paul's and the back is the esp catalog in grid form - you must have seen some like it and the far right column is a listing of players and credits as in your scan.

Chuck, what do you think I have here: a very early issuance, or some later variant? Perhaps the original album cover photo (mine) was changed for what is now the standard photo? Looks like the back cover photo did not make it onto other versions either.

I was also wondering if the green LP label had any importance?

Thanks!

My front is the same as Paul's and the back is the esp catalog in grid form - you must have seen some like it and the far right column is a listing of players and credits as in your scan.

Chuck, what do you think I have here: a very early issuance, or some later variant? Perhaps the original album cover photo (mine) was changed for what is now the standard photo? Looks like the back cover photo did not make it onto other versions either.

Thanks!

290 West End would be after 1970. I have seen the version you have, and it's definitely a second pressing, albeit a very cool-looking version.

The first pressing should have a 5th Avenue address and the cover Paul, Chuck and I have. The back cover is just a photo catalog of ESPs up into the early 1030s.

Thanks!

290 West End would be after 1970. I have seen the version you have, and it's definitely a second pressing, albeit a very cool-looking version.

The first pressing should have a 5th Avenue address and the cover Paul, Chuck and I have. The back cover is just a photo catalog of ESPs up into the early 1030s.

That's very interesting. Seems like not too many copies of this printing were made, since it looks like ESP later went back to the first printing covers.

I actually do like the covers on my copy more. The photos seem to catch more of Tyler's mood and personality.

I was thinking that the Krumville address might be discographically significant. I looked into Wikipedia and found this:

"ESP album sleeves contained the message "The artists alone decide what you hear on their ESP Disk". Although many of his label's releases were critically acclaimed, most did not sell well, and by the early 1970s his funds had been exhausted. Stollman married, moved to live on a farm in the Catskill Mountains, worked as a lawyer, and closed ESP-Disk in 1974. 991."

First of all, I noticed that the ESP motto is not on this sleeve (unless it is in Esperanto). The album might have been released as Stollman moved to Krumville, which is in the Catskills (or close enough), and went out of print when the label folded in the early 70s. I'm still perplexed why the photos changed though.

Anyway, very interesting little mystery. Thanks to all for the help.

That's the one I have. Given by Bernard Stollman back in 1967 (along with many other ESP vinyls) at the ESP offices on 5th Avenue in lieu of payment for various services and photos!

Thanks!

That's what the back of my LP is - 156 5th Avenue address.

Even if Leeway's isn't a first pressing, it probably is rarer and is definitely cooler looking.

Thanks!

That's very interesting. Seems like not too many copies of this printing were made, since it looks like ESP later went back to the first printing covers.

I actually do like the covers on my copy more. The photos seem to catch more of Tyler's mood and personality.

I was thinking that the Krumville address might be discographically significant. I looked into Wikipedia and found this:

"ESP album sleeves contained the message "The artists alone decide what you hear on their ESP Disk". Although many of his label's releases were critically acclaimed, most did not sell well, and by the early 1970s his funds had been exhausted. Stollman married, moved to live on a farm in the Catskill Mountains, worked as a lawyer, and closed ESP-Disk in 1974. 991."

First of all, I noticed that the ESP motto is not on this sleeve (unless it is in Esperanto). The album might have been released as Stollman moved to Krumville, which is in the Catskills (or close enough), and went out of print when the label folded in the early 70s. I'm still perplexed why the photos changed though.

Anyway, very interesting little mystery. Thanks to all for the help.

Ah yes, the Acorn Hill House address... the pressing/address variations on ESP LPs are quite the rabbit hole.