• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Miles Davis 'Agharta' (UK CBS 2LP). Nice, quiet Sunday morning listening. Am I correct in thinking that this was the very first issue of 'Agharta' (along with CBS France perhaps?) and preceded the Japanese issue by some months. Came out in 1975 out here.

Nice, don't know about issue's dates, I got a U.S. Columbia white label promo, I'll spin it after J. J. Johnson.

I don't think 'Agharta' was issued in the US in the 1970s porcy so that white-label promo of yours seems odd :blink:. I know that it was also issued in Japan with a glossier (and thicker card) cover back then (as I've got one of those too) but I read somewhere it came out there about 18 months after the recording (ie. mid-'76). Which would make the UK/European issue the first full release. The CD of course only came out in the US around 1990.

The UK issues of 'Agharta', 'Get Up With It', 'Bitches Brew' and 'Big Fun' were some of the earliest LPs I ever bought, around 1975. All sound excellent too.

For some reason they never chose to issue 'Pangaea' over here at time of release. 'Agharta' must have freaked out UK CBS's management too much !

Edited by sidewinder

I don't think 'Agharta' was issued in the US in the 1970s porcy so that white-label promo of yours seems odd :blink:. I know that it was also issued in Japan with a glossier (and thicker card) cover back then (as I've got one of those too) but I read somewhere it came out there about 18 months after the recording (ie. mid-'76). Which would make the UK/European issue the first full release. The CD of course only came out in the US around 1990.

The UK issues of 'Agharta', 'Get Up With It', 'Bitches Brew' and 'Big Fun' were some of the earliest LPs I ever bought, around 1975.

My copy is a WLP Columbia PG 33967 C 33968, thick cover, 'made in U.S.' on cover and labels, label design is the common post 1970, a thin Columbia vinyl. Nothing different from the Dylan's of the same period I have.

Goldmine report it as a 1976 issue.

Thanks porcy. So it was issued in the US in 1976 - I've just checked the details in Goldmine. Interesting !

Good that Teo was on hand for the recordings, as they characterise much of the vitality/dynamism I associate with Teo's live recordings. 'We Want Miles' must be one of his finest ever in that respect !

By the way, I have a few of those red US CBS's bought over here and they used to put a sticker over the 'Columbia' on the label saying 'CBS' to distinguish it from UK Columbia (EMI/Parlophone). I agree that the vinyl on them could be damn thin.

Edited by sidewinder

Thanks porcy. So it was issued in the US in 1976 - I've just checked the details in Goldmine. Interesting !

Good that Teo was on hand for the recordings, as they characterise much of the vitality/dynamism I associate with Teo's live recordings. 'We Want Miles' must be one of his finest ever in that respect !

By the way, I have a few of those red US CBS's bought over here and they used to put a sticker over the 'Columbia' on the label saying 'CBS' to distinguish it from UK Columbia (EMI/Parlophone). I agree that the vinyl on them could be damn thin.

About thin vinyl, I usually don't think that a thick one is always better. My RCAs of Lou Reed sound great, even if they are on the infamous Dynaflex!

I had the original early U.S. ATCO pressing of 'Layla' (Derek and The Dominos), thicker vinyl then a Polydor U.K. later reissue, but the reissue blows away the ATCO, that I sold.

A friend of mine, in an obvious nod to Nels Cline, has arranged the title track for his instrumental punk rock/skronk trio. Pretty fun, though the key modulations are even more out than Hill's!

I got to see Nels Cline perform his Andrew Hll tribute with the full band that was on the record just before he recorded the album. I guess it was sort of a dress rehearsal. He later opened for Andrew Hill at the San Francisco Jazz Festival doing the same program.

and now for something completely different

Freddie Hubbard's The Hub of Hubbard on MPS (Stereo)