GIVING THE GIFT OF JAZZ

robviti

Hello friends!

I will soon be saying goodbye to a therapist I've been supervising for the past two years. As a parting gift, I plan to give her what I think are five classic and representative cds of great jazz (she has expressed an interest in learning about the music and I don't think she has any recordings yet). When I give her this present, I will tell her that if she does own any of these discs, I will replace that cd with another title. Here are the five I've purchased for her:

Miles Davis - Kind Of Blue

Bill Evans Trio - At The Village Vanguard (compilation of the original two lps without alts.)

Ella Fitzgerald - The Best Of The Song Books

Stan Getz/Joao Gilberto - Getz/Gilberto

Kenny Burrell - Midnight Blue

Now here's the question/challenge (if you're interested): What cd do you think would make an appropriate substitution for one of these discs? For instance, if she has KOB, I'd probably get her Cannonball's Something Else. Of course, you don't have to "play by the rules." If there's a title that I should have chosen (and should be pistol-whipped with a Kenny G disc for having neglected it), feel free to mention it. One caveat: I prefer not to give compilations (I know, I know. The Ella and Evans cds are comps.)

Anyway, thanks for reading, and for particpating if you choose to do so. B)

Bye-ya, Rob

Guest Chaney

Maybe she's be more likely to enjoy a male singer rather than Ella?

why is that?

Just a theory that generally speaking, men prefer the voice of women and women prefer the voice of men.

What suggestions does your supervisor have for this gift-giving to this protege?

I personally think at least one out session is appropriate, given the relationship context of better mental health. How about one of the Cecil Taylor or Sam Rivers 60s BN sessions? Pick a Coleman Atlantic! An Ayler! Lasha/Simmons' The Cry! C'mon, don't fence this poor soul's head in any longer.

I think both the Coltrane/Hartman and the Coltrane/Ellington are pretty accessible for a new listener (also the Coltrane Ballads recording). I know you said you were avoiding compilations, but I think the "Gentle Side" might be a good choice.

Off topic, when I think of jazzshrink at work, I picture the patient on the couch talking, and jazzshrink responding "Mm-hmm....yes.....and how does that make you feel?...." while the whole time he is discretely on his laptop hanging out here and ordering CDs. ;)

Just kidding. I'm sure you are the consummate professional. :g

Edited by Free For All

I would switch Miles Davis's KOB with "Relaxin'." I have given this to many people who don't listen to jazz and they all LOVED it.

Ella's "Live in Berlin" makes for a nice intro to her work, live and in peak singing form as well. Chris Connor's Bethlehem dates are nice as well.

I wouldn't do avant stuff unless you know the person was inclined towards that sort of thing.

I've done a couple of these starter pack sort of things and they have been received well. IMO, Mark (Jazzmoose) nailed when he said that you have to know the tastes of the recipient to some degree and looking at something more modern. I also tend to go with a few contemporary pieces in such packs (Contemporary as in current, not "contempo"/smooth)

The current/recent roster of Blue Note artists actually has a lot of accessible stuff. The new Lovano and Bill Charlap are two very accessible releases. Jackie Terrasson has some nice stuff as well that should appeal. I particularly like Smile.

If she's anythng like most of the women I know who don't like jazz per se but dig the music I play at get-togethers (ie-stuff that gets you movin')- some of the Blue Note releases by the likes of Ronny Jordan, Paul Jackson Jr (not his most recent one - too smooth), Karl Denson, St Germain, Rodney Jones fit the bill nicely. Perhaps even Erik Truffaz if she's more adventurous.

I'd also consider some Pat Metheny Group material. Their most recent release is very accessible as are the classic stuff like Letter From Home and Still Life Talking. Actually, the live Road To You would be another good choice.

If you're thinking of more contemplative stuff, Tomasz Stanko's new one is really nice (Suspended Night). If you want to use my wife as a barometer of how far you can push the envelope, she really digs Charles Lloyd's and Dave Holland's recent ECM stuff.

If you really need to include a jazz vocalist, I'd go with Dianne Reeves or Diana Krall.

The way I figure it, using contemporary artists helps to include a number of factors - jazz is a living, breathing artform; contemporary sound, trends, and production values. I know that some of the above suggestions might not be the best from a jazz lover's perspective, but you're not buying for a jazz lover. You're buying for someone who wants to start exploring. Actually, I think you've made some pretty good choices from an older jazz standpoint - though I'd scrap the Ella and Bill Evans. IMO, there's always time to explore the greats. I'd go with trying to make a connection first and I've found the current material a good way of accomplishing that.

All just my opinion of course