Eastern Europe Jazz Musicians thread

EKE BBB

The Stanko thread, the Körössy thread... reminded me there´s a lot of good music being done in those countries that once were under Soviet Union´s umbrella.

Now´s the time to discover all that wonderful music.

One I´ve heard of, but never listened to, is VYACHESLAV GANELIN. Any comments?

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks, ubu.

Looks like this one´s a must-have:

Con Anima/Concerto Grosso

e99909pvten.jpg

AMG review:

This CD puts together the Ganelin Trio's first two LPs.

Con Anima was recorded in 1976 and released the following year by Melodia, the official (and only) U.S.S.R. record label; Concerto Grosso was recorded in 1978, but released two years later. The first album presents the essential elements of the trio's sound: wild energy, passion, a propensity to draw from all of jazz's history and pre-history, along with folk music, a wide array of instruments, complex writing, etc. The album is a collage of various bits of music, vignettes so to speak, linked together by piano, saxophone, and drums solos that are faded in and out — transitions from one scene of a dream to the next. For the reissue, everything has been lumped into one 41-minute track. Sound quality gets precarious in the busier passages, but otherwise it is a very good recording, utterly risk-taking and freaky.

"Concerto Grosso," also lumped into one track (35 minutes), is both more tempered and ground-breaking. Its parts are better integrated, giving the impression of a single work instead of a kaleidoscope of fragments. It takes the trio farther away from jazz into a realm that was hardly explored at the time in the West. It features pianist Ganelin on guitar for half of the record, and also sees the trio experimenting with studio techniques (multi-tracking, echo effects). Distortion problems have been settled, but at the beginning of the piece, when things are very soft, the listener can distinctly hear something else happening far in the background, as if the session had been recorded over a used reel of tape and the saxophone screams from the previous take were still audible. In any case, having both of these early recordings on one CD makes for great value. Edition limited to 750 copies.

Edited by EKE BBB

Emil Viklicky - a fine czech piano player. Heard him on the air, in trio with Laco Tropp and Frantisek Uhlir, and added guest Steve Houben on some tracks.

He also appears on George Mraz' "Morava" (http://www.fantasyjazz.com/catalog/mraz_g_cat.html scroll down), which seems to be very fine (I don't know it).

Another site: http://www.viklicky.com/

ubu

Nothing by Ganelin in my collection, but I do have the occasional nice vinyl find pressed in on of the former Warsaw Pact States. Some names that deserve attention have been mentioned before on this board. The singer Eva Olmerova needs to be heard and the Blechband album by pianist Hannes Zerbe and his band of wackos is another stunner. The Polish Muza (Polskie Nagrania) label not only featured some of Polish best jazz players, but also gave the world an obscure catalogue of performances by famous artists with local pick up bands. Some of these have been released on CD now I believe. I found a nice stack of 10" LPs with the more obscure artists like Kalwinski and Elisabeth Charles. These disks were fairly widely distributed as there were hardly any LPs pressed in Eastern Europe during the 50s/early 60s.

HLAVAh.jpg

Milan Svoboda

Also heard a broadcast (same year, same festival as Viklicky), of his "Contraband". Might be another musician worth checking!

There are some sound samples on the site, too - the solo track is the most interesting one.

"Fuddle" - Svoboda Quartet & Tony Lakatos

"Monkey Diet" - Contraband

"Intermezzo" - solo piano

Also, if you go to the discographie, short excerpts from all tracks can be downloaded.

ubu

Edited by king ubu

Regarding MILAN SVOBODA:

In the same trip to Prague and Budapest I bought a Milan Svoboda disc "Milan Svoboda Contraband - Family", but if my memory serves me right, THAT WAS NOT the CD inside the jewel case! :angry:

More to check tonight!

Anyway, here´s the cover:

322252-resized200.JPG

I have

Emil Viklicky & Steve Houben: BOHEMIA AFTER DARK

bohemia.jpg

Spun it once when I bought it two or three years ago. I remember I dug it, but can´t bring more details. Will listen to it tonight.

That's the same band I have the broadcast of, except for the bass player. Houben is quite good, too (I think they play a beautiful version of "You'd Be So Nice To Come Home To", among other things).

ubu

Spinning that Folk Inspired disk now and this one has some very nice violins and geeetars and all that. Viklicky has a very light touch and some of Bill Evans to his playing (said the guy who doesn't know much about piano players anyhow).

Emil Viklicky - a fine czech piano player. Heard him on the air, in trio with Laco Tropp and Frantisek Uhlir, and added guest Steve Houben on some tracks.

He also appears on George Mraz' "Morava" (http://www.fantasyjazz.com/catalog/mraz_g_cat.html scroll down), which seems to be very fine (I don't know it).

ubu

Morava is a delightful album. Viklicky plays beautifully, and the singer, Zuzana Lapcikova, has a really pretty voice.

ubu

Morava is a delightful album. Viklicky plays beautifully, and the singer, Zuzana Lapcikova, has a really pretty voice.

Thanks! I read a very positive review when it came out and forgot about it since.

ubu

Maybe Goykovich is considered almost too obvious? (Not that I know his music very well, but I sure know his reputation!)

Then, he's from former Yugoslavia (don't ask me where from, exactly), and we have so far not mentioned anyone from the balcan region.

(Except Helen Merrill, of course, but she's got her own thread)

Can you recommend one or two albums of Goykovich's?

ubu

I saw Viklicky in London some time ago, a very pleasing set with Juraj Bartos on trumpet.

Hungarian Mihaly Dresch (sax, cimbalom etc) leads a tasty folk influenced group.

I have heard broadcasts of Dresch, too. A good player!

Got to look through my broadcasts to find out more, though.

ubu

Can you recommend one or two albums of Goykovich's?

DUSKO GOYKOVICH & TETE MONTOLIU · TEN TO TWO BLUES

9773.jpg

- Ten to two blues (Goykovich)

- I remember o.p. (Goykovich)

- Old fisherman´s daughter (Goykovich)

- I love you (Archer / Thompson)

- The child is born (Jones)

- Blues to line (Montoliu)

Dusko Goykovich, trumpet

Tete Montoliu, piano

Joe Nay, drums

Robert Langereis, bass

Recorded on November 9, 1971

&

IT´S ABOUT BLUES TIME

f65872uy58r.jpg

1. It's About Blues Time (Goykovich) - 13:55

2. Old Folks (Hill/Robison) - 5:57

3. The End of Love (Hampton) - 5:27

4. Bosna Calling (Goykovich) - 6:03

5. You Know I Care (Pearson) - 5:23

6. Nameless Tune (Povel) - 5:16

Tete Montoliu - Piano

Dusko Goykovich - Trumpet

Rob Langereis - Bass

Joe Nay - Drums

Ferdinand Povel - Sax (Tenor)

Recorded on November 8, 1971

:w

Another interesting Czech name is JIRI STIVIN who plays clarinet, all kind of flutes and recorders, saxes, roura, folk pipes and various instruments of his own construction. He has recorded a great deal of classical music, fussion, folk-jazz... A very eclectic guy, for sure.

js_cdz02.jpg

HIS WEBSITE

HIS DISCOGRAPHY

I can recommend Inspiration by folklore, recorded for ARTA records in 1991, with Jaroslav Sindler on guitar, Frantisek Uhlir on bass and Josef Vejvoda on drums.

folklore.jpg

and

Excursion II. Twenty years after with drummer Pierre Favre (P&J Music, 1998)

This is my favorite Czech jazz recording, by far:

KAREL RUZICKA JR. - Spring Rolls Quartet

Spring%20Rolls%20Quartet%20CD.jpg

Karel Růžička jr. SAXOPHONES

Gabriel Jonáš PIANO

Robert Balzar BASS

Pavel Zbořil DRUMS

1. Groovy Blues (Karel Ruzicka)

2. Till There Was You (Meredith Wilson)

3. Crazeology (Bud Powell)

4. Spring Rolls (Karel Ruzicka)

5. Wild Eggs (Gabriel Jonas)

6. Stella by Starlight (Victor Young)

7. Love is here to Stay (George Gershwin)

8. Jsem tvůj (Alfons Jindra)

9. Chocolate Sun (Robert Balzar)

RECORDED IN PRAGUE 23 & 24 APRIL 1998

I´m eagerly waiting for John´s opinion on this one. IMHO this young saxophonist (son of Karel Ruzicka, classical and jazz pianist) has got the chops and has many things to say.

Maybe this stuff, ubu?

Emil Viklický Trio + STEVE HOUBEN

WHAT'S NEW

Whats%20New.jpg

1. You'd be so nice to come home to /Cole Porter music sample

2. Enfance /Steve Houben

3. I remember April /Raye-DePaul

4. Porthcawl /Emil Viklický

5. Cherokee /Ray Noble

6. What's New /Bob Haggart

7. CTA /Jimmy Heath

8. Goin' to Chicago /Jimmy Rushing music sample