Phish is breaking up

sal

Not sure how many here are interested, but it was announced today that they are breaking up for good. I've posted the letter below from their guitarist Trey Anastasio that is on their website. I haven't seen them in years, I did quite a bit in college and its sad news that they are breaking up for good. Might try to catch one of their farewell shows this summer at Deer Creek or Alpine Valley.

Last Friday night, I got together with Mike, Page and Fish to talk

openly about the strong feelings I've been having that Phish has run its

course and that we should end it now while it's still on a high note.

Once we started talking, it quickly became apparent that the other guys'

feelings, while not all the same as mine, were similar in many ways --

most importantly, that we all love and respect Phish and the Phish

audience far too much to stand by and allow it to drag on beyond the

point of vibrancy and health. We don't want to become caricatures of

ourselves, or worse yet, a nostalgia act. By the end of the meeting, we

realized that after almost twenty-one years together we were faced with

the opportunity to graciously step away in unison, as a group, united in

our friendship and our feelings of gratitude.

So Coventry will be the final Phish show. We are proud and thrilled

that it will be in our home state of Vermont. We're also excited for the

June and August shows, our last tour together. For the sake of clarity,

I should say that this is not like the hiatus, which was our last

attempt to revitalize ourselves. We're done. It's been an amazing and

incredible journey. We thank you all for the love and support that

you've shown us.

-- Trey Anastasio

Thanks for posting that, sal.

I'd bet a dollar that Trey ends up making a record with Dave Matthews. I didn't catch it, but I read somewhere that Trey and Dave played with Orchestra Baobob on Letterman recently.

I don't really care for either of those guys but I did enjoy the VH1 special (with Trey and Dave) about Orchestra Baobab as well as the second song Dave played (again, with Trey) on Saturday Night Live a few months back. A buddy of mine in Brooklyn and were on the phone the next day when one of us finally fessed up and said, ".....er......um.......I know you're think this sounds lame but....." We were both in agreement after all. It was pretty funny.

Maybe the smell of the wookies in the audience finally got to them.

;):lol:

I'm not sure I understand your wookie ref, but I work with a guy who is a huge SciFi fan who is a total Phish/Dave Mathews fan.

He lives for Star Trek.

I don't really care for either of those guys but I did enjoy the VH1 special (with Trey and Dave) about Orchestra Baobab as well as the second song Dave played (again, with Trey) on Saturday Night Live a few months back.  A buddy of mine in Brooklyn and were on the phone the next day when one of us finally fessed up and said, ".....er......um.......I know you're think this sounds lame but....."  We were both in agreement after all.  It was pretty funny.

:lol:

My wife is a big Dave Matthews fan, so the VH1 special was required viewing. We enjoyed that show as well, but we both were irritated with the "sound-bite" MTV-ish, limited attention-span type of production.

I wish it had been more in-depth -- regardless of how anyone feels about Trey and Dave, it seems like they are both genuine in their love and respect for the music and the musicians.

I'm not sure I understand your wookie ref, but I work with a guy who is a huge SciFi fan who is a total Phish/Dave Mathews fan.

He lives for Star Trek.

The wookies I'm referring to are those hairy, smelly types that follow the band around. :P

That's him! :lol:

Yeah but they didn't really 'break up' in the first place, just took a couple of years off. Anyways. I was a huge, I mean, HUGE Phishhead from about '95 until 2000, and when they took a break it was about time to start listening to jazz again. Outside of them there was nothing in the general popular music world that interested me, so I looked backward, as one is wont to do. I thought they were running out of steam anywas, but I will always apreciate them for what they have done, even long after I have given all my bootlegged shows away. Thats a pretty strong bond if you ask me. I havent listened to them on a reqular basis for the last 3 years or so, but still have strong feelings when people start talking smack. They just dont understand anyways so it's not my problem! ;)

Guest ariceffron

THIS IS TOTAL BULLSHIT. EVEN WHEN YES BROKE UP 14 TIMES THEY ALWAYS PLAYED ON THE ******WEST COAST!!!!!!! WHATR IN THE HELL THIS IS BULLSHIT. I WANT TO SEE PHISH BEFORE THEY BREAK UP. COME PLAY THE GORGE GODAMN YOU PHISH. YOU KNOW YOU LOVE IT. I DONT UNDERSTAND. I KNOW ITS MORE OF AN EAST COAST THING BUT THEY HAVE TONS OF FANS HERE AS WELL. WHAT THE HELL

Just what JazzDog said. I was "on the bus" from 1993-2000, for pretty much the same reasons. In that time, and to my ear, Phish were absolutely, jaw-droppingly great more often than not. But I'm glad they've decided to call it quits. Since their hiatus, they've seemed to be doing it halfheartedly, just going through the motions. Why do that?

I saw them live around eleven time between 1993 and 1998. At their best they put on a great show, full of energy and humor. At their worst they were meandering and overblown. I can't say I've heard anything in the past few years that has made me want to see them live again or buy any of their albums but I'll still keep their live discs around for those transcendental moments they did achieve.

I like 'em. Got interested in what they were doing when I got seriously into the Dead about two years back. I only have their box set called "Hampton Comes Alive". Some pretty good jam band stuff on that one. Give them credit for not overstaying their welcome, although I have a feeling we'll be seeing plenty more live Phish over the coming years. They were obsessive about taping their live shows.

Up over and out.

Maybe the smell of the wookies in the audience finally got to them.

;):lol:

Everybody knows wookies can't play chess!!!!

(great line from the band vs. audience chess match, Chicago, Halloween 1995)

I saw them about 45 times between 1991-2003. I can't say I'll miss them (the endless stream of one chord jams was starting to get tedious), but I sure as hell have a ton of great memories of seeing them. And doing the phish thing was probably the single best way to get to see the country too.

Guest ariceffron

DEAR TREY, PAGE, MIKE AND FISHMAN:::

PLEASE PLAY THE GORGE BEFORE YOU THROW IN THE TOWEL. LOTS OF YOUR WEST COAST FANS WOULD LIKE TO SEE YOU BUT CANT TRAVEL TO VERMONT. PLEASE PLAY AT LEAST ONE WEST COAST SHOW. OF COURSE THE BEST VENUE ON THE WEST COAST IS THE GORGE, SO YOU SHOULD PLAY THERE LIKE YOU ALWAYS DO.

My wife called me last night to read me the email that Trey wrote to the mailing list. I'm not at all disappointed. I haven't seen them since NYE 1999 in the Everglades, but I have seen Trey Anastasio's band, who put on a great show.

I had forgotten about the Mike Gordon story. It was disturbing for a few days, until it became evident that the whole thing was blown out of proportion. Whatever, he's a weird dude that plays electric bass. I like listening to him play electric bass.

Fishman is a fucking machine. Any drummer that denies Jon Fishman's drumming ability is admittedly biased against "jam bands." For the record, I don't like jam bands either. And while I'm at it, Leftover Salmon's music has zero to do with Phish's music. Jam band is such a horrible term that it clumps Leftover Salmon into the same genre as Phish!

Trey Anastasio has one of the more recognizable guitar tones in all of recorded guitar. Sometimes I wish he was still composing music like "Divided Sky" or anything from Junta for Phish, but then again, I really like where they took simple songs like "Simple" and "Ghost."

Page McConnell was a huge part of Phish that doesn't really get the attention that the others get. I don't think he's a dominant musician like the others, but he's a hell of a keyboardist. I really liked his organ work on Rift. Cool album.

They may be back, but I can't blame them for wanting to try something else after 20 years. There's one last album and one last string of shows. We got mailorder to one of the shows in MA and we're looking forward to it! I hope they blow it out with some tequila.

Did you guys notice that all of the guitarists in Baobob were playing brand new Paul Languedoc guitars? I guess Trey gave them to Baobob. Pretty cool I think. I didn't even realize Baobob still existed... I wasn't around on Saturday night when the VH1 thing came on so I missed that.

PS I saw two chess moves in the fall of 1995. One in Greensboro NC and one in Hampton VA. What a bizarre band. No John, not Reynols bizzare...