Mosaic Select - Johnny Richards?

Thanks - very helpful. Apparently then the Fresh Sounds CD has both albums in their entirety. I always wonder about this, since the release dates are not quite early enough for PD (in Europe). Did Fresh Sounds actually license this or not -- and would that make any difference to the people who can't stand Fresh Sounds, Definitive, etc? As I mentioned, there may be a US issue fairly soon, but it is hard to say.

Johnny Richards -- Softly, Wild & Something Else . . . CD . . . $12.99  (Item: 395220)

Jazz City/Fresh Sound (Spain), 1956/1959 Condition: New Copy     View Cart   

Some of the best work ever from one of the most under-acknowledged jazz composers and arrangers of the 50s! Johnny's probably best known for his recordings with Stan Kenton in the early part of the decade -- but when he moved out on his own, he developed a tremendous sound that was even richer, even more full of color and tone than Kenton's own -- and which was often done without any arch-modern tones, yet still fresh and free of cliche. The CD begins with 8 tracks from the 1956 Bethlehem album Something Else Again -- a fantastic batch of modern, yet grooving bigger band tracks -- played with an excellent lineup that includes Charlie Mariano, Bill Holman, and Richie Kamuca on saxes -- plus other players that include Frank Rosolino, Stu Williamson, and Marty Paich. The sax work alone is tremendous -- cutting with a beautiful edge across the larger charts -- and titles include "Waltz Anyone", "Turn Aboot", "Band Aide", "Dimples", and "Burrito Borracho". Next up are 10 more tracks from the album Walk Softly Run Wild -- a similar sort of outing to the first one, but recorded in New York with a different group, and a sound that seems to be even more concerned with shades of color overall. Players include Gene Quill, Frank Socolow, Jimmy Cleveland, and Burt Collins -- and titles include "Three Cornered Cat", "Sunday's Child", "Tempest On The Charles", "Run Wild", and "Walk Softly".

Dusty Groove link

I'm more interested in a three cornered cat than a hat, myself.

Edited by ejp626

• 17 years later...

Does the Mosaic booklet give the full personnel on Rites of Diablo?  Discogs lists the following:

• Alto Saxophone – Gene Quill
  • Chorus – Dave Lambert Singers
  • French Horn – Al Antonucci, Julius Watkins
  • Piccolo Flute – Bill Slapin
  • Tenor Saxophone – Seldon Powell
  • Trombone – Frank Rehak, Jim Dahl, Jimmy Cleveland
  • Trumpet – Burt Collins, Ray Copeland
  • Tuba – Jay McAllister

2 hours ago, Teasing the Korean said:
  • Alto Saxophone – Gene Quill
  • Baritone Saxophone – Billy Slapin
  • Bass - Chet Amsterdam
  • Bass Saxophone - Shelly Gold
  • Bongos - Sabu Martinez
  • Chorus – Dave Lambert Singers
  • Congas - Carlos Valdes
  • Drums - Jimmy Campbell
  • French Horn – Al Antonucci or Julius Watkins
  • Maracas - Sol Gubin
  • Percussion - Al Epstein
  • Piano - Hank Jones
  • Piccolo Flute  – Billy Slapin
  • Tambauri - José Mangual or Raymond Rodriguez
  • Tenor Saxophone – Seldon Powell, Frank Socolow
  • Timbales - Ubaldo Nieto
  • Timpani - Joe Venuto
  • Trombone – Frank Rehak, Jim Dahl, Jimmy Cleveland
  • Trumpet – Burt Collins, Ray Copeland, Ernie Royal, Johnny Bello, Al Stewart, Charlie Shavers
  • Tuba – Jay McAllister

Listing corrected after the listing in the Mosaic Select booklet. No idea what "Tambauri" is supposed to be. Trumpets and French Horn changed for the last session, I made a collective listing.

Oh how I love those alphabetical instrument listings on discogs ....

Edited by mikeweil