July 13th RVGs

mgraham333

Just starting to make my way through this batch.

I've got Dex's Doin' Allright going right now. I'm liking it a lot. First time I've heard it. (that goes for everything in this batch exept for Cookers). This is near the top of my Dexter list. At the top right now is Gettin Around. There is just something about that one.

OK, Jimmy Smith just had his turn and did pretty well. My interests don't lean heavily toward the organ stuff, but this is a fairly solid piece of work - pretty mellow. It fit nicely in the background. I look forward to giving this one more attention tonight at home.

Now it's on to Black Fire. I'm really looking forward to this one. I have to say that Andrew Hill has really grown on me in recent months. After hearing Passing Ships and going back and picking up Grass Roots I had an easier time with Point of Departure, which I listened to this morning in anticipation of the arrival of the latest Andrew Hill RVG.

Black Fire is tied with (maybe slightly ahead of) Passing Ships on my list of favorite Andrew Hill albums. A nice blend of the bop and the avant-garde. Henderson really shines in settings like this. This is another one that I can't wait to listen to at home and hear the details. I know I missed the majority of what Hill was laying down. The intricate textures that he can bring to a date really amaze me sometimes.

It's interesting that this is Hill's debut on Blue Note. Even with my limited exposure to Hill's work it really seems as though he covered a lot of ground, working in different styles - reminiscent of Donald Byrd's many paths.

I'm headin off to my local Borders in an hour to use my 20% off coupon on some of the new RVGs.

Any comments on the sound quality of the new Morgan, Silver, and Smith RVG?

How about the recent Blue Mitchell-I already have the Mosaic-sound improvement at all?

THANKS, FOLKS :D

-Jeff

I'm playing the Serenade to a Soul Sister RVG while enjoying some cheap wine. I've never heard this Horace Silver title till tonight. I like the soul-jazz style delivered by Stanley Turrentine (as usual). Mmmm... some tasty tunes.

Edited by wesbed

Regarding the Jimmy Smith Home Cookin' session. This session is every bit as good as any other Jimmy Smith session. Jimmy plays at his normal 'Jimmy best.' The highlight of this session, for me, is Kenny Burrell. I don't have much by Burrell and, as a result, don't place as much importance on Burrell as, say, Grant Green. When I do hear Burrell, though, I enjoy his playing very much. Burrell makes the Home Cookin' session sparkle. B)

Edited by wesbed

I'm tired of cracked CD cases. Every time I catch a quick glance at Breaking Point, I think the CD case has cracked.

:lol:

That's a pretty severe busted up case you got there!

Hmm, it's like Freddie saw into the future and knew we'd have these things called CD cases. :huh:

I just got my order today so tonight's the night!

I've been playing Morgan's The Sixth Sense for a few days now and though I'm finding more and more of the Morgan I know, this one still strikes me as different.

The first couple of songs really sound more like something from Jackie McLean's book. I recognized his presence right away without checking the lineup.

I really like The Cry of My People. This is some of the prettiest playing I've ever heard from Morgan. The use of the mute really gives this song an after-hours, haunting beauty feel. I usually hit repeat on this track a couple of times before moving on. :tup

I really like The Cry of My People. This is some of the prettiest playing I've ever heard from Morgan. The use of the mute really gives this song an after-hours, haunting beauty feel. I usually hit repeat on this track a couple of times before moving on. :tup

Great Cal Massey tune :tup . Morgan was an excellent interpreter of Massey's music.