Lalo Schifrin

White Lightning

I've been listening a lot to Schifrin's "The Dissection and Reconstruction ...Marquise de Sade", since it's the favorite cd of my 1 year-old niece.

It's a great album, don't you think?

Scifrin is truly a Renaissance man - a very good Pianist (Dizzy can't be all that wrong, can he), composer, arranger, conductor in the Classic, Jazz and soundtracks genres (is "soundtracks" a genre? ;) )

Maybe for his eclecticism I believe he is a bit underrated and/or disregarded in the Jazz world. What do you think?

Personally, I like his Baroque-Jazz thingies, along with his piano comping with Dizzy.

If often wondered about this De Sade thing of his. Heard it's very much a collectors item (?). Never heard it and now see yet another revision from Schifrin on this. Tell me more! He did that rehash as well with the Bullitt soundtrack but nothing will compare to the cues on the original. The "bastards" have several editions available and one should only stick with the classic. One of my favorites in the genre. Steve McQueen was also worthy of Jim's accolade above!

I like this De Sade album. Funnily enough, it seems to be easier to pick up old vinyl copies than get hold of the Verve Elite CD, although I believe that the CD has recently been reissued (see the 'ebay madness' thread for recent developments). I like the orchestral lineup on this session - many of the guys in the Gil Evans orchestra of the time, studio pro's the lot of them, are listed in the credits.

Guest Chaney

I've been listening a lot to Schifrin's "The Dissection and Reconstruction ...Marquise de Sade", since it's the favorite cd of my 1 year-old niece.

It's a great album, don't you think?

Ummm... no?

I had that one, had one listen and though it pretty bad. Put it up on eBay thinking I'd make millions but didn't.

Nice to hear that you're enjoying it, though.

Keep in mind that the De Sade album was recently re-released (Verve Japan) and is now available from DUSTY GROOVE for $19.99.

ON THE EDIT: Looks like someone just bought up the last copy!

Just bought the soundtrack to Dirty Harry and enjoy that one a great deal. Don't know if I'd recommend everyone rush right out and buy it but it's nice to have.

Edited by Chaney

...Not a BIG fan of the "Dissection..." cd either, but I did buy it. TOWER has it now for 25.49...probably not worth that much $$....For my money, the "Piano, Strings, & Bossa Nova" is a groove, as is the stuff he arranged for Jimmy Smith...as White Lightning sez- Dizzy can't be wrong and wasn't...I also really dig the Schifrin piano playing on some of the Dizzy Verve releases... <_<

I had another listen to the "Dissection and Reconstruction..." album over the weekend, and I like it a lot! Some very spirited writing, and, so it seems, Schifrin dug deeply into renaissance and baroque music. I think it's more than a jazzed-up Bach thing, really.

And then there's Richard Davis, the anchor man of the album, there's Grady Tate, and there's some great Jerome Richardson (dig that one lengthy tenor solo somewhere near the end of the album).

ubu