Reptet Review in July Cadence

Dan Gould

p. 47 of the July issue of Cadence, Reptet, (Monktail 2) reviewed byRobert Iannapollo:

Reptet is a quartet of young musicians hailing from Seattle. This, their first release is a solid set of original compositions and a trio of astute covers (Monk's "Introspection" and Misha Mengelberg's "A Little Nervous," Gil Melle's "The Gears"). The general tenor of this date is quite different from the above date (Fred Hess, The Long and Short of It). Whereas Hess' music bristles with an edgy energy (no doubt aided by the lack of a chordal instrument), this date has a relaxed ambience but don't read that as laid-back and dull. Tobi Stone has a rich full sound on tenor, a relaxed sense of phrasing and a strong penchant for melodic improvisation. Joe Henderson might be a good comparison. Pianist Stefan Nelson favors rich, fulsome chords that provide a variety of options for Stone's solos. The rhythm section cooks in an unobtrusive manner yet they never coast. I like the funky backbeat work (aided by Nelson's wah-wahing Fender Rhodes) they bring to the Melle composition. This disc is strong, well recorded, and worth hearing.

Congratulations on the review. :tup

Yes, thanks Dan. I had read this last week but hadn’t gotten around to posting it. I think it does a nice job of summing the CD up in as few words as possible. I’m proud of this CD, but the next one is going to turn some serious heads. We added a new trumpet player named Samantha Boshnak. She studied with Erica Lindsay and Baikida Carroll in NY and she is a fine soloist and fabulous composer. We plan on recording in August, with our second CD out in the Spring of 05’.