Jump to content

The Grateful Dead Dark Star


jazzbo
 Share

Recommended Posts

  • Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

7 hours ago, mjzee said:

Looks like the deadlists.com website is offline.  Hope it doesn't mean anything.

The last listing in the Wayback Machine is July 7.  But none of the links (to specific years, etc.) work!  I fear this valuable resource may be now lost to us.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I do like those fall 72 Dark Stars.    I am still resisting as I have boxes of HQ soundboards from GD trading circles on CDr that sit mostly unplayed these days.  Currently listening to 7.27/74 set from Roanoke.  It's missing the Encore..a '74 Eyes, but I am sure I'll be asleep by then!!

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

All in - very excited to hear these 7 shows - the legendary 10/18/72 show is one I’ve avoided listening to as I’ve expected an official release for a while. The 10/29 & 10/30/73 shows are from the sweetest of sweet spots in Dead history - maybe only late November & December 73 are more melty. Keith’s peak is summer through winter 73. Plus look at those set lists on the 72 & 73 shows?!? 3 Bird Songs on the 3 Fox Theatre 72 shows plus the amazing jam sequences on all 5 of the 72 & 73 shows. I’m less enamored with late 71 as Keith was finding his way but word is that 12/10/71 is a very hot show. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/22/2021 at 0:08 AM, Steve Reynolds said:

All in - very excited to hear these 7 shows - the legendary 10/18/72 show is one I’ve avoided listening to as I’ve expected an official release for a while. The 10/29 & 10/30/73 shows are from the sweetest of sweet spots in Dead history - maybe only late November & December 73 are more melty. Keith’s peak is summer through winter 73. Plus look at those set lists on the 72 & 73 shows?!? 3 Bird Songs on the 3 Fox Theatre 72 shows plus the amazing jam sequences on all 5 of the 72 & 73 shows. I’m less enamored with late 71 as Keith was finding his way but word is that 12/10/71 is a very hot show. 

Not a lot of jams. But 10/18 was the one! Get the stand-alone if you don’t get the box. 
I think they shot themselves in the foot, though. Now there are 5 or 6 (?) fall 71 shows officially out and same with 72. Those would have made better boxes. Yes Keith was finding his way in 71, but he found it damn quick. By 72, he was fully integrated. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/26/2021 at 4:08 PM, mjzee said:

I don't think it's back online.

Weird. I just checked it again and it's working fine from where I sit. Also checked their FB page and there's no indication of an outage there - admittedly, they post infrequently there, but there's a post from Tuesday. 

If you have access to a VPN, maybe try it from a different IP address?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Dave Garrett said:

Weird. I just checked it again and it's working fine from where I sit. Also checked their FB page and there's no indication of an outage there - admittedly, they post infrequently there, but there's a post from Tuesday. 

If you have access to a VPN, maybe try it from a different IP address?

Huh.  Thanks for the tip.  It still doesn't work with Safari on my Mac, but it does work with Brave.  I'm glad they're not gone.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, mjzee said:

Huh.  Thanks for the tip.  It still doesn't work with Safari on my Mac, but it does work with Brave.  I'm glad they're not gone.

I was trying it in Chrome, and just tried it in Firefox. It did not work in Firefox, but I did notice that the likely reason for that is that the connection isn't secure (http instead of https). Could be that your install of Safari is configured to only connect to sites using https?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 months later...
6 hours ago, mjzee said:

I got a shipping notice for the box set; should arrive on Sunday.  I just checked dead.net; interesting that the box has not yet sold out.

ETA Sunday for me as well. I’ve streamed the 12/10/71 show and as always with late 71 Dead I’m underwhelmed. Fired up for the 10/17, 10/18 (!), 10/19/72 and most especially the 10/29 & 10/30/73 shows.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I can certainly see how that might be seen as disorganization. One of the older jazz musicians might say the same thing about a period of Ornette's career too. Disorganization can create some great music.

2 hours ago, mjzee said:

Now they're saying Wednesday, October 13.

Mine arrived yesterday, but I haven't yet been able to open the box. My Dad had an urgent request from me, and then my wife was bitten on the hand by a neighbor's dog. Not a good weekend! Next week I hope is better.

Edited by jazzbo
Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, orchiddoctor said:

Ornette was quoted as saying—having played on stage with them—that the Grateful Dead was the most disorganized bunch of musicians he ever played with. He like Jerry though.

This is pretty funny if you listen to Ornette's "Theme From A Symphony" from "Dancing In Your Head."  Now that's a clattering cacophony!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, jazzbo said:

Yes. . .and really nice sound. I love the use of the Plangent Process. I wish there were a home version!

I wonder if they'll ever use it on the earlier releases (Dick's Picks, Download Series, Road Trips, Europe 72 box).  Probably not.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...